In Spite of All the Danger

Prologue

“Oooh, come to save yer princess once again, eh Georgie?”

A group of boys encircled the pair, sensing the fear that was coming from the two. The biggest of them stepped in and pushed the younger and scrawnier lad by his shoulders, causing him to stumble backwards and into his friend. Luckily the girl managed to catch him by her arms, dropping her school books in the process. The other boys got around and snatched the books away before the she could pick them up, waving and tossing them about amongst themselves.

“C’m ‘ead, let’s get out of ‘ere.” George mumbled and tugged on his friend‘s arm.

“Yeah, that’s right! Run home to mummy, you sissy.” One of them jeered.

“Go on! Get yer arse back to Arnold Grove!”

The group kept yelling obscenities to the younger boy. He ducked his head down, so they wouldn’t see the tears that had sprung up in his eyes.

“Valerie, please!” He hissed, still not able to look up.

George tugged on her sweater again, more firmly this time.

“But my school b-”

“Forget about them.”

The pair walked away briskly, the yells and taunts getting smaller and smaller until they could no longer here them. Finally, they came to rest on a nearby open space across the street from George’s house. They both plopped down on the grass.

Valerie hugged her sweater close to her body, trying to keep the cool autumn air out. A rush of wind swirled hair around her face, prompting her to tuck it back behind her ears. Her teeth chattered slightly from the cold.

George sat next to her, a scowl set upon his face. He angrily wiped the fallen tears from his cheeks, his eyes slightly red. Both of his hands were balled into fists, the knuckles white. He muttered something unintelligible under his breath and then turned to look at his friend, his face softening.

“You okay Val?”

The young girl nodded, looking down at the ground.

“Ah come now, y’know they don’t mean any harm to ya.” He laid a reassuring hand on her trembling shoulder.

“George, they called me ‘daft cow eyes’!” She responded, finally looking at him.

“Yer eyes aren’t ugly.” George said while studying Valerie’s face. “They’re just-unusually large, almost sleepy-like. I think they’re pretty.”

“You just say that ’cos you know you have to make me feel better.” Valerie playfully hit George on the arm.

“No. I meant what I said.” He stated solemnly.

Valerie blushed and adverted her gaze, looking around at their surroundings.

Autumn had just set in, making the trees change the color of their leaves from green to red and gold, the fallen ones making up little dances and floating wherever the wind decided to take them. People were walking about, the air biting their cheeks and turning them red. This was always Valerie’s favorite season.

“-thing to eat.”

She snapped back into reality, realizing she hadn’t been paying attention to what George was saying.

“You say something?”

“Yeah, do you wanna go down to Penny Lane and get something to eat? I have a few quid on me.”

“Oh do you?” Valerie raised an eyebrow.

“Mhm, earned it helping me Da’ out.” George beamed.

“Well then, what’re we waiting for?” She stood up and stretched.

“C’m ’ead lazy-bones! Food’s not going to last forever, y’know.”

George broke into a lop-sided grin and rushed to catch up with Valerie, putting his hands into his pockets.

They walked side by side, chatting idly. Soon they reached a little ‘fish ‘n chips’ shop on the corner of Penny Lane and Crawford Ave.

Once their food was ready, George and Valerie walked away, going back to George’s house to eat.

“Valerie, luv!” Louise walked over and hugged Valerie. “What you doing about in these parts?”

“Walked home with George today.”

“Does your mum know?”

“No, I was going to ask if I could give her a call, actually.”

Louise gestured towards the phone and went over into the kitchen, where George had gone.

Valerie sat down and made the call, hearing ringing on the other end.

“Hullo?”

“Mum, it’s me.”

“Valerie! Christ where have you been?! You father and I are worried sick.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m walked with George today, after school. Do you mind if I stay over a bit? We brought some food.”

Her mum sighed. “Well only if it’s alright with Louise.”

Valerie called Louise over and handed her the phone, bounding into the kitchen knowing what the answer would be.

“Did she have a fit?”

“Almost. Your mum’s convincing her to let me stay.”

“Yeah, she’s good at that.” George said, setting down a plate. He opened the bag and divided its contents fairly between his and Valerie’s plates.

“It’s settled Valerie, you can stay. But your mum says to come home tomorrow, though.”

“I’m staying the night?” Valerie asked, setting down her napkin.

Louise nodded. “Yes, I told Margret it’d be better if you did. It’s too dangerous for you to be walking home so late now.”

Valerie only lived a few blocks away from George but what Louise said was true.

“So you’re staying here tonight. But you go home tomorrow, understood?” Louise looked at both youngsters, who nodded. “Alright then, you two finish eating and then clean up.” She walked away, leaving them alone.

“Guess we’re having a sleepover.” Valerie chirped happily.

“Sleepovers are for birds. I’m not a poof.” George continued stuffing his mouth.

Valerie rolled her eyes.

George simply shrugged.

After they’d finished eating and had cleaned up, the pair headed over to George’s room.

“Bloody hell. What am I going to do? Those boys took my books away.” Valerie flopped down on his bed.

“Just tell the headmaster what happened.”

“Like he’ll believe me!”

“Worth a shot. I’ll help you out in Arithmetic since we have that together.”

They sat and worked on their math homework first, after which Valerie helped George with his other subjects, not being able to do her own.

**

“Alright you two, time for bed.” Louise stated when nightfall came. She spread blankets next to George’s bed, where Valerie would be sleeping. “You can wear one of George’s night shirts.” She handed the young girl a plain white shirt that came above her knees.

Valerie thanked Louise and shut the bathroom door to change in privacy. She brushed her teeth with the spare toothbrush George would always keep for her there. Clothes folded neatly and under arm, Valerie stepped out.

She was met with the sight of a scrawny George in his knickers. “I see London, I see France-”

George whipped around, wide-eyed. “Val!”

She snickered and turned around, facing her back to him.

“Oh c’m on Georgie! It’s not like I’ve never seen you in your knickers before. We used to take baths together, remember?”

“’Used to’ is the key term here.” George muttered. “And don’t call me Georgie, you know I don’t like it.”

“Georgie, Georgie, Georgie.” Valerie chanted. She heard him exhale in frustration and stopped.

“Is it safe to turn around now?”

“Yeah, yeah.” George crawled under the covers, watching Valerie stack her clothes on his empty chair.

She knelt down and made herself comfortable on the make-shift bed.

“G’night George.” Valerie yawned as he switched off the lamp.

“G’night Val.”

**

Sometime in the middle of the night, George felt someone poking his side. He slowly opened his eyes and vaguely made out Valerie’s form hovering over him.

“Val?”

“George.” She spoke in a small, frighten whisper.

“What is it?”

“I-I had a b-bad dream.” Her voice shook. “I’m s-scared.”

George sighed and scooted over, making room for Valerie to get in.

She climbed in eagerly and snuggled up to him. Though he was flat on his back, Valerie wrapped an arm around George. It was dark and George didn’t see, but Valerie smiled contentedly.

“Georgie?” She sheepishly called into the dark.

George groaned. “Yea’?”

“G’night.”

“G’night Val.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, new story that I, Mrs. Sgt. Pepper, am writing with a certain Mrs. George Harrison.
What's you think? You what they say ... comments are love.
Flames are for marshmellows. >;]
**
Oh and I forgot to mention that I got that last part there (Valerie climbing in bed with George) from Forrest Gump. You know, where the little girl snuggles up with Forrest? Yeah, that scene inspried this one. Tehehe.