Cats and Dogs

Chapter 1

“Er, everything is going to be alright. I’m going to take care of everything, including you, so just worry about school and leave the rest to me.” my brother, Alastor, said to me as I stood at Platform 9 ¾.

This would be my first year at Hogwarts, but I am not a first year student. I’ll be attending it with my fellow 6th years. I had been attending an all girls witch school in America, that was until my brother came and told me the news of our parents death - who were killed by Death Eaters. So my brother thought it best that I came to Hogwarts - he thinks I’ll be safer here with Albus Dumbledore watching over me.

“Alright,” I mumbled. My face was blank like it had been since I heard the news of my parents death. I hadn’t smiled in months. I felt sorry for my brother - first, our parents die - second, he has to take care of me - third, I’m acting like a robot.

He sighed and looked to the ground and then met my green-grey eyes once more. “I know how you are feeling… It’s horrible… But you can’t let this define who you are or who you’ll become. Don’t let this become your weakness - let it become your strength. If you can get through this with your chin held high and a smile on your face, I promise you, you can get through anything.” He reached over and placed his hand on my shoulder in reassurance. “It’s what they would want anyway… They would hate to see you like this… I hate seeing you like this… And I know you don’t like being like this, either.”

I looked at my black and white converse. “But it’s all I can feel right now. Emptiness. Hollow. I feel…” my voice broke and I quickly threw my face into my brother’s chest and wrapped my arms around his torso as I began to cry. It was the first emotion I had shown since my parents death.

“There, there… I know it might not seem this way right now, but everything is going to be okay…” I nodded in his chest and slowly pulled away from him when I heard the train whistle blow.

I looked over at the train and began to walk towards it when Alastor grabbed my wrist, “I love you, Amilia.”

I smiled lightly and I could see the joy dance in his eyes, “I love you too, big brother.”

He let go and I quickly walked onto the train.

I walked down the train and sighed as I got into an empty compartment. I leaned my head against the cool glass of the window when the door to the compartment slammed open causing me to jump slightly.

“Honestly! You are the most arrogant boy I have ever met, James Potter! Now, leave me alone!” The red headed girl yelled. She gave out a frustrated scream and slammed the door shut and then sat down and buried her head in her hands.

“Are you alright?” I asked and she jumped back against her seat and looked up at me with wide eyes.

“Oh! I didn’t see you!” she exclaimed as she calmed herself.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. But, now we’re even I guess.” her eyebrows pulled together in confusion. “Oh, you scared me when you slammed the door open.” I said, gesturing to the door.

“Oh, sorry. I was just blind with anger…” she trailed off and then glared at the ground. She stopped glaring and looked back up at me, slight confusion in her eyes. “I’m sorry, but, who are you? I’ve never seen you before… And your accent is a bit off…”

I smiled and reached out my hand and she took it and shook it lightly, “My name is Amilia Moody. I’m a transfer student from America. I mean, I am English, but I went to an only witch school in America so my accent is a bit weird.”

“I’m Lily Evans. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Amilia. Do you know anything of the four houses at Hogwarts?” she asked, tilting her head slightly.

I shook my head, “Well, I know the names…”

She smiled and scooted over to where she was sitting directly in front of me and straightened her back and looked my straight in the eyes, her brilliant emerald eyes shining slightly. “Well, the students at Hogwarts are broken up in four houses; Hufflepuffs are known to be just, true, and patient; Ravenclaws are known to be intelligent, witty, and wise; Slytherins are known to be cunning and sly… but a lot of Gryffindors don’t like them… and vice-versa.”

“Gryffindor?” I asked.

“Oh! Right, that’s the house I’m in. Gryffindors are known to be brave, chivalrous, and courageous. So, what house do you think you’ll be in?”

“Huh… well, I am true but not that patient… I am intelligent, witty, and can be wise, though, I can be lazy at most times… I am cunning and most definitely sly, though I’ve never known anyone to hate me… I’d like to think I’m brave, chivalrous, and courageous… I honestly have no idea.” I pouted my lip as I thought about what I house I would be best in.

“Well, what houses were you parents in?” Lily asked. “Or, are they muggles, like mine?”

“No, I’m a pure-blood-”

“Oh.” Lily looked a bit disappointed.

“What? What’s wrong?” I asked, not liking that look on her face.

“It’s just that… Most pure-bloods are in Slytherin… And… Well… They aren’t exactly the nicest people in the world.” Her shoulder fell and she leaned against her seat. “And they hate muggle-borns, like me.”

My eyes widened when I realized what she was scared of coming from me. “Oh, you don’t have to worry about that with me. I don’t care at all about blood-lines and all that crap.” I said honestly with a smile.

She smiled widely, “Really?”

“Yeah. And plus, my parents said they were in Gryffindor.” I looked down at my shoes at the mention of my parents.

“Why did they send you to a school in America?” Lily asked.

I looked back up at her, “For my protection… from Voldemort.” she gasped slightly at the mention of his name. “But when they died-”

“They died?”

I was silent for a moment.

“Oh, I’m sorry-”

“No, it’s okay. Yes, they were killed by Death Eaters.”

“That’s horrible.” she said as she covered her mouth from gasping.

“Yeah, so my brother became my guardian, and he thought it would be best if I was under the watch of Dumbledore. He said that Dumbledore is the only person who Voldemort is scared of.” I ran my hands through my dark hair that had soft waves in it here-and-there.

“Well, I think you will be safe at our school. It’s amazing… Truly amazing.”

“Wow.” I breathed once Lily and I got off the train. The castle was absolutely breath-taking. It was huge and dark, but a magical, mysterious kind of dark that made a happy, almost kid-like, feeling wash through you, because you knew that you were somewhere truly magical.

“Yeah, it is amazing. Wait till you get inside, though. It’s beautiful, but impossibly enormous, you’ll get lost more than once. I’ve been here six years and I still get lost once in a while. But, I’m sure you’ll be fine if you stick with me.” She looked at me and smiled, the kind of warm smile that you could see in her eyes.

I smiled once more, a real, heartfelt, smile. I never though I would do that again, and so quickly!

Lily and I went with the rest of the 6th years onto the boats that took us over the Black Lake, and then in the carriages with no horses took us up to the castle.

“Amilia Moody! Amilia Moody!” A woman called.

“Right here!” I yelled raising my arm slightly.

“Ah,” she said as she walked over to me. She wore glasses and had her black hair pulled back into a high, tight bun. She was a bit taller than me, and rather on the skinny side, and her beady eyes met mine. “There you are, Miss. Moody. My name is Minerva McGonagall, you shall call me Professor McGonagall. You are to follow me to the great hall, you will be sorted last after the first years. Now, come.” she began to walk away and I quickly followed, turning back only once to smile and wave at Lily.

“I see you have befriended Miss. Lily Evans.” Professor McGonagall noted as she quickly walked down the halls of this school. We were walking too fast for me to really appreciate the decorations of the castle.

“Yes, Professor.” I said as I quickly followed.

“Good, she is a wonderful, intelligent, loyal girl. She will make a good friend.”

“And I to her, I hope. I take friendship very highly, Professor. I think it’s just as important as family, if not more.”

“Oh, really? Why is that?” she asked, looking back at me momentarily.

“Well, Professor, when you are born, your family is basically forced to love you by law of nature. But friends… You have to earn their love and trust. And unlike family, if that love or trust is betrayed, you can almost never get it back. Family judges you, and will not always support you, but friends, if true, will never judge you and will always support you. Unless, they know what you are doing or going to do is absolutely foolish. They always do know what’s best for you, while family wants to know what’s best for you.” We slowed down to a stop where a large group of young kids were waiting around just outside very large doors.

“Very well put, Miss. Moody. I’m sure you will be an excellent friend to Miss. Evans.” she smiled ever so lightly, like I wasn’t even sure if she had smiled. “Now, just wait with the first years and we will enter the Great Hall and the sorting will begin.”

She turned and began to walk away, “Oh! Professor!” I called.

She stopped and turned back to me, “Yes, Miss. Moody?”

“I don’t mean to seem rude, I am so sorry if I do seem that way, but would you mind not calling me Miss. Moody, or Miss. Amilia Moody, or Miss. Amilia? Just Amilia is good.” I smiled weakly, hoping she wasn’t offended in any way.

She looked at me above her glasses for a moment and then smiled lightly, “Of course… Amilia.” I smiled as she turned and walked away.

I stood at the back of the first years as one by one, each first year was called and placed into their house. I stood nervously on the inside, but I know I looked confident on the outside, waiting for this moment.

“Amilia Moody!” Professor McGonagall called. Whispers broke out as I climbed up on the small stage and sat down on the stool. “Now, I’m sure you are all wondering about our new student, and no, she is not a giant first year. She is an exchange student, and because of certain circumstances she is now attending our school. I hope you will all make her feel welcome, like our lovely Lily Evans.”

I felt her place the sorting hat on my head and it shifted slightly on its own. “Hm… what have we here? A lovely mind indeed, full of intellect and mischief… A lot of sorrow, pain, and mysteries lie in your head, my dear. You have all the characteristics of each house! So where to put you? Hm… Lets dig deeper into this mind of yours… Yes! Right there is where the truth lies… GRYFFINDOR!”

I grinned, happy with the result, and Professor McGonagall took off the sorting hat as I practically jumped off the stool and stage and ran over to the Gryffindor table. Immediately seeing Lily because of her lushes red hair.

“Here, sit here!” she said as she began to push a boy who had been sitting beside her. “Move over, James!” she said as she continued to push him.

“Why can’t she sit on the other side of you?!” he complained.

“Because she want’s me to sit here, so,” I leaned down and glared slightly at James, noting he was most likely the same James from the train who had been bugging Lily. “Move.” I hissed.

He stared blankly at me for a moment before gulping and scooting down giving me room to sit between Lily and him. I smiled, “Thank you.” I sat down and turned to Lily who was smiling.

“Wow, that was amazing!” Lily breathed. “How did you do that? You have to give me that spell!”

I laughed, “It wasn’t a spell, just a stare.”

“Attention!” An old voice yelled over all the muttering. I looked up and saw a tall old man standing behind a pedestal. He wore a dark blue wizards robe, and a long wizards hat that was flopped down behind him. He wore moon spectacles and he had a long silver beard that matched his long silver hair. “As most of you already know, the Forbidden Forest is still forbidden.”

“Ooh, forbidden, how fun.” I mumbled. I always did sort of have a knack for getting into trouble.

“And curfew remains the same; 8 o’clock at night. If anyone is caught breaking their curfew they will have to serve detention… If anyone is lucky enough to survive and get caught in the Forbidden Forest, well, we’ll just leave that punishment as a surprise.” worried glances broke out onto the first years faces. “Now, as you know, these are dark times, Lord Voldemort is on the move, trying to recruit followers; just do what you know is right, and I am sure you will make the right choices. So, let the feast begin!”

With just a wave of his hand, food appeared in front of everyone, tons and tons of food! I smiled as I began to put things on my plate.

“Hello.” a smooth, charismatic male voice said from in front of me. I stopped what I was doing and looked up, my eyes landing on smoky grey ones. “I’m Sirius.” he said with a smirk on his smooth lips.

“No, I wouldn’t say serious, more along the lines of arrogant.” Lily giggled from my left, and James gave out a good laugh and Sirius shot him a stern look.

“What? That was a new one…” he mumbled, a hint of laughter still on his voice.

Sirius turned back to me, that smirk still on his lips. I wont lie, he was most definitely attractive. He had shaggy dark brown hair, smoldering, smoky grey eyes, and smooth lips that looked absolutely luscious. “No, that’s my name.”

I laughed lightly, “I know. But, I particularly, don’t care.” I admitted. Sure, he was good looking, but believe it or not, I also take personality into account.

I glanced up at him and a hint of anger and intrigue flashed in his eyes but he quickly shook it off and opened his mouth to say something else, “Oh, just leave her alone, Sirius. Really, she just got here, can’t you wait at least an hour before you start hitting on her?” The boy sitting next to Sirius said. He was cute, not nearly as good looking as Sirius, but there was something about him. Intellect and mystery. He had shabby blonde hair, and had a few scratches on his face. “I’m Remus Lupin.” he said, smiling at me.

I smiled back, “It’s nice to meet someone civilized, Remus. I’m Amilia.”

“Civilized? Well, that’s ironic.” Sirius mumbled before James threw a piece of food at Sirius and mouthed ’shut-up’. I immediately raised an eyebrow.

“So, where are you from?” Remus asked.

“Yeah, your accent is a bit off.” Sirius added.

“Well, I’m English, but I went to a school in America.” I answered.

“Oh, well that explains it.” Sirius said, with a smile on his lips. “She’s been influenced by the Americans.”

I raised an eyebrow, “So? What? That’s supposed to explain why I wont fall for your stupid antics to try and get into my knickers?”

Lily coughed on her pumpkin juice and placed the glass down. “Okay, can we talk about something else?” she suggested.

“Alright, Lily, when are we going to go out?” James asked sweetly as he leaned over to look at Lily. I almost felt bad for him. Behind those glasses, you could see the desperation in his eyes. I guess he really did like Lily and wasn’t after her like she was a piece of meat… Unlike someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I've already got half of this story typed, so I'll update once week or longer for suspense!!
^^
but not likely

Okay!!