Cats and Dogs

Chapter 10

The next morning when walking down the halls alone following James and Lily a few yards behind them, going to our first class, Sirius of course came running over to me apologizing, and I knew if I didn’t forgive him that he would bug me for the rest of my life, so with a huff, I abruptly stopped walking and with a sharp turn of my heel I looked Sirius straight in the face, “I forgive you! Can you just drop it already?! The more you talk about it, the more annoying you get! So, I forgive you! You are free to leave me alone, now!” my outburst had caused a few students to stop and stare, including James and Lily but they mumbled to each other quickly and continued to walk to class.

I gritted my teeth together and looked around and my eyes landed on a seemingly attractive blonde Ravenclaw. She was whispering harshly with her friends and she then looked over at Sirius, her blue eyes brightened and she began to giggle with her friends. I smiled and looked back to Sirius, “Look, there is an attractive Ravenclaw over there who obviously wants you, so go bug her.” I patted his shoulder. He looked back at the Ravenclaw who seemed to freeze momentarily at his glance and then smiled lightly.

Sirius looked away and then began to follow me, “Was that jealousy back there?” I looked at him and saw his stupid cocky smirk return.

I stopped walking and pushed Sirius back slightly and he frowned, “Look, I don’t like you! I never did! The only reason I actually agreed to continue the date was because I honestly wanted to give it a shot because of the night before! But I had to force myself to go out with you!” I yelled angrily and frustrated at his arrogance, and I seemed to be on a roll because I didn’t stop there, I was even unaware of a certain young man who had turned down our hallway with his friends. “You, Sirius Black, are an arrogant, selfish, prideful, egotistical, power-hungry git, who should have been in Slytherin! No, I’m wrong about that! There’s even a Slytherin who I would rather date than you!”

Sirius looked angry now and he took a threatening step forward, “Oh, yeah? And who exactly would that be?”

Your brother!

Sirius looked shocked and taken aback and even took a few steps back. He clenched his jaw as he lost the look of shock and was now replaced with a look mixed with anger, hatred, and disgust. It even made me second-guess everything and actually got a shiver of fear and regret. He then tore his eyes off of me and glared at something behind me, “She’s all yours,” he shoved past me and my eyes followed him and widened when I saw who he was talking to behind me, “Regulus.” he bumped shoulders with him roughly and continued his way to class.

Regulus’ dark eyes followed his brother momentarily before they landed on me, his expression blank and unfazed. I could feel the heat from embarrassment rise to my face and I quickly ran past Regulus and ran to class, and of course, when I got there, I sat in the furthest seat away from Sirius.

“Are you alright?” Lily asked me as we walked to go get lunch after our classes, her face a mix of worry and curiosity.

“What do you mean?” I mumbled as I held my books tightly to my chest when I noticed a group of Slytherins walking towards us, with a certain someone leading along with Nott and Jackson. I quickly averted my gaze when I found Regulus’ eyes wondering over to me.

“Well, that just adds to it,” Lily mumbled looking over at Regulus as they walked past us. Lily looked back at me and raised an eyebrow at my demeanor. “See? You have been like this all day! What’s wrong with you? Its Sirius, isn’t it? What did he do this time? He’s always doing something wrong-”

“It’s not him.” I bit my lip and quickly sucked in a sharp breath. “Well, it is, but-”

“He’s such a jerk sometimes! I mean he’s great and all, and I do consider him a friend but-”

“But it was my fault!” I quickly said, cutting off Lily’s rambling. Lily looked over at me quizzically and I sighed, “He was pushing my buttons, as he always does, and I just snapped. You should have heard the things I said to him! He was so hurt and angry… And then I only made things worse, both for him and myself.”

“Why? What did you say next?” Lily asked leaning over slightly looking at me like a child who was hearing a wonderful bedtime story.

“I said I like his brother! And Regulus was right behind me! Hence the bad for both of us part.” I groaned and pouted and looked over at Lily who’s eye were wide.

“What? Regulus? I don’t understand… Regulus? How? When? Why?” she shook her head slightly and then turned to me and looked at me with her wide eyes, “Regulus?

I rolled my eyes, “Yes! Regulus! How? You know how it happens! When? Well… I guess when I first saw him… there was something about him… this… cool, determined, confident -not cocky- , thing about him. And then we talked when I went to practice after the date with Sirius, he was there… and I really liked the feeling I got when I talked to him… I even liked it more when he talked back!” I didn’t realize it until now, that I was grinning.

When I looked over at Lily she still had her wide eyes, and her eyebrows were now raised, “I… am not sure what to say…”

My face fell, “I know… the whole, ’Slytherins are evil, they’re the enemy…’ but… Ug!" I groaned, "I don’t know what to do either!”

We finally made it to the Great Hall and walked over to the Gryffindor table. Lily sat down next to James but I just stood and looked down at Sirius who slowly put his fork down and looked up at me, his expression cold. That sick twisted feeling came rushing back to me and I actually took a step back and held my books closer to me chest.

“Oh!” James said suddenly, making me jump and then look at him. He was smiling, “You made the team! Congratulations!”

I smiled weakly, “Great, thanks mate.”

James looked past me, further down the table and frowned, “How long do you think he’ll stay mad at us?” James mumbled.

I looked back and saw Remus and Peter eating with a few other Gryffindors. Another sick feeling washed over me. Everything was my fault. It was because of me that Remus and Sirius were fighting. I had to fix this. It would take me one step closer to getting on their good side again… right?

“Amilia? Aren’t you going to sit?” Lily asked. I looked down at her and shook my head.

“No, I have some stuff to do.” I sucked in a deep breath and slowly walked over to where Remus was sitting.

“Remus?” I asked quietly, standing next to him.

He slowly turned and looked up at me, “What?” he still seemed a bit angry, but not as much when the incident occurred.

“Can we talk?” my voice was still low; timid.

He was silent for a moment and then nodded and stood up. “Fine.” he walked out of the Great Hall with me following right behind him. “What do you want?” he said sharply once we stopped in an empty hall.

“I’m not worth it.” I stated. I shook my head, “I’m not worth it, Remus… You and Sirius have been friends since the first year, and then all of a sudden stop being friends over some girl? It’s rubbish! And I know deep down you know that as well. You have to talk to Sirius-”

“Why should I talk to him?!” he asked angrily. “He’s the one who… who did this!”

“Yes, I know…” I smiled lightly, “but you know him, Mooney… He will not admit defeat. He’s much too proud.”

“Too proud to get his supposed friend back I see.” he stated, glaring.

I chewed on my bottom lip, and sighed. “Then… You’ll have to do you, Remus. Be the better friend. Sirius… he’ll make up for it.”

He looked at the ground, staring silently at the dark stone. He slowly looked up, his face was red and he looked a bit embarrassed. “I’ll do it… But you have to do something for me in return.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Like what?”

“Well, I’m not really sure how to put it in a way in which it would make it seem charming.” he admitted, smiling slightly. “But… if we could just try something…”

My eyes widened slightly and then I smiled lightly, “Are you talking about a kiss?”

His eyes widened and his face reddened, “No, I mean… yes- but we don’t have to! It was just a thought - I’m sorry, it’s inappro-”

I quickly grabbed his face in my hands and pulled him towards me, our lips landing on each others. It felt… monotone. Just…

We slowly pulled away and Remus’ eyes were closed, pondering. I chewed on my bottom lip. Did he like it?

His eyes slowly opened, “Uh… I… that was not what I expected.” he laughed lightly, “I mean it was good! But it was…”

“Not right?” I answered for him.

“Yeah! Like… Kissing my sister or something - not that I would kiss my sister, I don’t even have one! But…”

“Yeah, same here.” I let out a laugh and a sigh of relief. “Well, then!”

He smiled and laughed, “Well a deals a deal! It has been a pleasure - well, not really - doing business with you Whiskers! But I have a friendship to rescue, I guess.” he turned to walk away but stopped abruptly and then turned back and looked back at me, his expression warm, “And Amilia… You are so worth it.”

I grinned and Remus smiled and then turned around and quickly walked into the Great Hall, and I quickly ran in to see.

“Sirius!” Remus called quickly walking over to him. “This fight is over.” he stated once he reached him.

Sirius nodded, “Alright.” he smiled, “Good to have you back, Mooney.” Sirius stood up and gave Remus one of those manly hugs, before they both sat down, with Peter racing over with a smile.

I too was smiling as they all dived into a conversation about Quidditch. It amazed me how guy friends - well, them - could become friends again so quickly. I shook my head lightly when I quickly felt a firm grip on my arm pull me out of the Great Hall and into the same empty hallway Remus and I were in earlier.

“Tell me and everyone that what you said earlier was a lie and you were only trying to get a rise out of that blood traitor, you call my brother!” an familiar angry voice hissed.

I looked up into his dark eyes, which were currently filled with anger. “Regulus…”

“Don’t even speak my name!” he yelled. He took a few steps back and pulled out his wand. My eyes widened and I quickly reached for my wand when I realized it was no longer there. With his other hand he twirled my wand between his fingers. “You’ll not need this,” he mumbled a spell with a wave of his wand and the light chatter of people from the Great Hall could no longer be heard. “No one can hear us.” he stated. He stared at me, looking over my expression that was a mix of fright and curiosity. He shook his head slowly, “Do you have any idea what you have done? People are wondering why you have these - these feelings for me!” he face was a twist of emotions; disgust, anger, and something else that looked familiar, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. “They are wondering what I have done to make you feel this way! They are questioning where my loyalties lie!”

“And?” I questioned, taking a step forward, “where do they lie?”

He snickered and quickly shoved me back into the wall. “Do not try to act witty with me. My blood traitor brother might find it amusing-”

“Don’t call him that.” I stated firmly, glaring up at him. His head raised and he raised an eyebrow. “Your brother is the only good one that came out of your family!”

He took a step forward and I stayed still, “Oh? You feel that way do you?”

Yes.” I hissed.

“Then why is it I am the one who has caught your eye and not my brother?” he asked coolly, tilting his head slightly.

I was silent and bit my bottom lip at a loss for words. I began to shake my head slightly, “You’re not like them. You know right from wrong! You know what Voldemort is doing is wrong-”

He slammed his fist on the wall, next to my face, “Do not tell me what I know!” he bellowed.

I was shaking slightly, afraid of what he would do. He has obviously had a bad day and I was just pushing his buttons.

His jaw was clenched and his eyes were angry as he looked my face over one more time. He quickly took a step back and regained his demeanor and ran a hand through his hair.

“You’re a fool for having feelings for me. You shouldn’t.” he stated, staring down at me.

Don’t tell me how to feel.” I stated softly.

He smirked ever so lightly. He raised and waved his wand once more and the light chatter returned. He held out my wand and I slowly reached for it, “I’m looking forward to playing against you in the first Quidditch match.”

I grabbed my wand and put it away and I nodded.

He looked at me a bit longer before quickly turning and walking down the hall, disappearing into the darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
here is how I picture Regulus:
Image

comments and messages are welcomed!!
^-^