Cats and Dogs

Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“Whoa! Bloody hell, Amilia!” Sirius exclaimed after barely dodging the Bludger that went flying towards his head.
We were practicing for the next match and James split the team in half and put us against each other. Let’s just say, I was taking this very seriously.
I smirked darkly and shrugged.
“Alright, gather round!” James called once we all landed on the ground. “That was good- everyone.” he smirked. “We’ll totally win.” he said with determination. “Now, if you’ll excuse me - Ihave a date with my Lily-Flower!” he turned and ran off as we all howled and cat-called.
The group dispersed as they began to walk back to the lockers, “Actually, I should probably hurry up to. Lena ran into me in the hall earlier and said she wanted to talk.” Sirius smirked.
“Gee, I wonder what she could possibly want to talk about.” I said sarcastically.
“Me too” he laughed lightly and then ruffled my hair.
I pulled away and looked at him oddly, “Did you just ruffle my hair? Like I’m some kid or something?”
He laughed and shrugged, “Yeah. What’s wrong with that?”
“Well, if anyone should be getting their hair ruffled it should be you.” I stated.
“Why me?”
“Because you act like a child.”
“When do I act like a child?”
“When don't you act like a child?”
“Are we really debating about who should get their hair ruffled?” Sirius asked with a raised eyebrow.
“I thought we were arguing- but I you want to call it debating-”
“You’re acting rather childish right now, I’d say.” he was smirking and I was glaring at him.
I huffed and crossed my arms, “I am not.”
Sirius patted my head, "Oh yes you are."
“Oh yeah?!” I asked angrily. To be honest, I knew I was acting rather childish - I just had no idea why.
Yeah!” we stopped walking and Sirius was looking down at me with a smug look.
“Well, would a kid do this?”
“Do what- oooff.” I punched him right in the gut. He bent over and placed his hands on his knees and stayed in that position for a while as I walked away.

~~~

Dear Alastor,

I am sorry I never replied to your letter. Life at Hogwarts has been quite hectic. What will you do with just one eye? You must be more careful Alastor! If anything were to happen to you, I don’t know what I’d do. I know what you are doing is important, but don’t be reckless.

Always,
Amilia


“Ah, there you are Miss. Amilia!” I looked up to see Professor Slughorn climbing up the staircase I was sitting on, walking towards me.
“Professor?” I quickly stuffed my things into my book bag and stood up. “Were you looking for me?”
He nodded and put his hand against the wall and I waited as he caught his breath. “Yes, and Lily. Have you seen here?”
“Oh, she’s out with James at the moment. What is it? Is something wrong, sir?”
“Oh, no, I just, well, it slipped my mind, but I wanted to give you this.” he produced an envelope out of his pocket and handed it to me. Printed on the front in very fancy lettering, was my name. “Oh, thank you, sir.”
“And, can you pass this on to dear Lily, I don’t want to forget again.” he produced another envelope that had Lily’s name on the front in the same lovely writing.
“Of course, Professor.” he nodded and then hobbled back down the stairs.
Once he was out of sight I tore open my envelope and pulled out the letter.
“Dear Amilia Aubrianne Moody,” I began to read out loud, “you are cordially invited to Slughorn’s Winter Ball.” I skimmed the letter. “Tomorrow?!” My eyes widened. I shook my head, “You’ve got to be kidding me.” I quickly ran down the stairs- “Oof!” my face crashed into something hard that felt like leather. I shook my head and took a few steps back and my eyes widened at the large man who stood before me.
“Oh, surry there, I was looking fer Professor Dumbledore’s office. It seems ‘s moved since the las’ time I’ve bin here.” He had a large, dark, messy beard that matched his hair. He looked to be twice as tall as an average man and as large as five put together.
“It… It’s just down the hall, sir. Over by that statue,” I pointed in the direction of Dumbledore’s office. “Do you have the password?”
“Ah, ye, I’v got that. Thank yer… Uh, I didn’ catch yer name.”
“Oh, it’s Amilia. Amilia Moody, and you are?”
“Rubeus Hagrid at yer service.” He smiled kindly.
“It was lovely to have met you, sir-”
“Please, jus’ call me Hagrid.”
I smiled and nodded, “I’ve got to go, now. Goodbye, Hagrid.” I waved and then quickly continued to run to the common room.

~~~

“This man…” I sighed and plopped myself on the couch and stared at the invitation.
“I see he invited you as well. Last minute too?” Alice Prewett said sweetly as she took a seat next to me. She had a round face, soft complexion, dark brown eyes and short hair.
I laughed lightly, “Yeah, same with Lily. We’ll have to go to Hogsmeade early tomorrow.”
She smiled, “Are you going to ask Sirius?”
My eyes widened and I sputtered momentarily, “W-what?!”
Her smile fell and she looked confused, “I mean… Don’t you guys fancy each other?”
“What?! No! No way!” I shook my head and my hands. “What made you think that?!”
“Oh, well, I don’t know. You guys just seem… frustrated with each other.”
“I am. We are! He’s an idiot- of course I would be frustrated with him! And I make him feel like an idiot, of course he would be frustrated with me.”
“What I meant was… sort of… frustrated because neither of you have made a move yet.”
“No! That’s not it at all!”
“Oh,” she laughed awkwardly, “sorry, then who are you taking?”
“I,” I thought for a moment. Who am I taking? I can’t exactly waltz in there with Regulus- questions would certainly be raised. I shrugged, “I guess I’ll go solo-”
The portrait swung open and in waltz Sirius humming with a wide (suspicious) grin. My eyes narrowed and I raised an eyebrow- I felt as if this look would be stuck on my face forever because of him.
“Ello Alice! Ah, hello to you too, Amilia!” His eyes seemed brighter as mine darkened.
“You’re grinning like an idiot- I guess it suits you.” I turned back to Alice who was smiling lightly.
I winced as I felt a slap on the back of my head, “Just so you know,” he patted Alice’s head lightly, “my full-proof plan worked. Lena and I will have our official date tomorrow! She got invited to some ball-”
“Slughorn’s Winter Ball?” I asked quickly.
“Yeah, why? You got invited too?”
I waved my invited with a scowl.
“Oh, great! Maybe we can double date!” he seemed too happy for my liking.
“Oh, she’s going solo.” Alice said, I glared at her through the corner of my eye though she didn’t notice. “Rather brave, I say.”
“You can double date with Frank and Alice or Lily and James, they got invited as well.” I grumbled.
“Ah! A triple date!” He smiled widely once more and then trotted up the stairs to the boys dorm.
“You seem angry.” Alice stated.
“Do I?” I stated darkly. “He just makes me so… so…. so-”
“Angry?”
“Yes!”
“Who’s angry?” Remus said coming down the stairs with a few books, parchment, and his quill and ink.
“What are you coming down for?” I asked.
He gave an annoyed look, “Eh, Sirius looks all mushy and lovey-dovey. It’s gross and really weird! I’ve never seen him like that. To be honest… It’s scary. So, who’s angry?”
“Amilia. She hasn’t got a date for Slughorn’s Ball.” Alice said as she stood up.
“You’re invited too? Great, we could go together! I mean if you want. I don’t have a date either. Strictly as friends of course.”
I smiled, “Great! Thank, Remus.” I got up and stretched, “Good luck finishing all that.” I went up stairs and immediately fell into a deep sleep… a deep uneasy sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long delay!!
School is over so I actually had time to work on this and push past my writers block!!
Plus, I just watched the 6th H.P. movie(for the 100th time) and felt inspired.