Cats and Dogs

Chapter 20

Chapter 20

“Oh, come down!” Lily called me. I was currently hiding out in the small bathroom in our dorm, staring worryingly at my reflection. I looked… so girly. My stomach seemed to be jumping with nerves and I kept fidgeting with a soft curl that was refusing to stay behind my ear.
My face reddened in embarrassment, “I… er… Can I just meet you down there? Tell… tell Remus I’ll meet him down there too…”
“Why? Is something wrong? Does your dress not fit?” Lily asked through the closed door.
“Oh come on, we’re going to be late.” Alice called.
“You guys go on a head, I’ll go when I’m-”
“Alohomora.” my eyes widened and I quickly shoved the door back closed and heard Lily give out an annoyed sigh.
“Fine, we’re going. But you better not be late. Slughorn will take it as an insult.” Alice stated.
I stood there a few more moments and when the footsteps died, I slowly opened the door - “Aha-Oh!” Alice had jumped out from behind the door along with Lily and both their eyes widened at the sight of me.
“Amilia… You look beauti-”
“Please don’t.” I mumbled to Lily, my face going red. I raised my head and my eyes went wide at the sight of both of them. “Wow! Alice! That dress… it’s perfect on you- Lily! I… wow… you two…. James and Frank will absolutely die when they see you guys!” Lily was wearing a beautiful soft blue dress that had sparkling jeweled detail in the front of her chest and spread down her torso. It was long and flowy and looked as if it could be easily blown away. Her hair was pulled back into a loose bun with soft waves slipping out here and there, giving it a look of no effort.
Lily blushed and Alice grinned bashfully, “Well, I hope not. I’d like to dance at least once.” Alice said, still smiling. Alice was wearing a dusty rose colored dress that complemented her skin color and boyish face. It too was also flowy, and had a simple, yet stunning, bejeweled flower in the center of her torso and the sides were beautifully sequenced. Her hair, as always, was short and unstyled but suited her face and dress.
I sighed deeply and brushed back that untamed curl back behind my ear. “Alright… let’s get this over with.” I said apprehensively.
We walked over to the top of the staircase that would lead us down to our dates. Alice took a deep breath (she was in the front) and stepped out. There was silence for a short moment then whistles broke out, “Oh James -stop.”
I smiled when I heard James and Remus laugh and I waited for Lily to go but she wasn’t moving. “Lily… go!” I whispered harshly before pushing her out into view. She stumbled a bit, especially because she was wearing heels. It was dead silent. I slowly peeked my head around the wall and grinned when I saw James eyes wider then I have ever seen them, and his jaw nearly touching the ground. “Li……L……You… Lily.”
“Yes- I Lily.” Lily mumbled her face a deep red.
In what seemed like one swift motion, James had moved from the fire to the bottom of the staircase, wrapped Lily in his arms in pulled her into what looked to be a passionate kiss. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped but then grinned when Lily seemed to go soft in his grasp.
Remus whistled as I began to cat call, this seemed to pull James out of his daze making him go red but grin gloriously. If possible, Lily’s face had gone even redder and she refused to make eye contact with me or anyone else.
But she seemed to have suddenly remembered me, her eyes flashing to me and a sly smile played lightly on her lips. “Oh, come down Amilia.”
My smile fell as quickly as it had came and I shook my head. “Oh, don’t be shy.” I tried to make a run back up the stairs but Lily quickly grabbed my wrist and tugged me down.
I nearly fell but Lily caught me under the armpits and then pushed me up and helped me steady myself. “Hubba- hubba! Whoa, Amilia! Is that even you?” James said, tilting his head slightly.
“Yeah, its me.” I grumbled.
“You look like a lady!” he added quickly as he played with his glasses as if they weren’t working.
“And what exactly, dare I ask, did I look like before?” I snapped irritably, not liking attention one bit.
“I-er, Lily-Flower, we should get going,” he gently took Lily’s hand and led her away, followed by Alice and Frank.
I turned to look at Remus who had not said anything, or moved… or even seemed to have changed his facial expression from after the shock of Lily’s look had warn off. “Remus?” I asked. He didn’t move. “Remus!”
“Huh? Wha- Oh… yea, sorry. It’s just… shocking.” he smiled lightly, “You look stunning.”
“Mm, thanks. You look handsome.” he smiled and we began to make our way down to Slughorn’s office. “I heard Slughorn had invited the captain of the Holyhead Harpies.” I stated a bit excitedly.
“You want to be a professional Quidditch player after Hogwarts?” Remus asked.
“Well… I would like to. But with this ruddy war going on… I’m probably going to be an Auror. I don’t mind it though!” I smiled.
We heard music coming from Slughorn’s office and could hear chatter inside. “Ready?” Remus asked, smirking.
“Ug…”
He smiled and pushed the door open and held it for me, gesturing for me to go first. I hung my head and stepped in. I looked up, there was a large group of people in his office, that seemed to have magically enlarged itself for the party. Different shades of white, silver, and blue were drapings on the walls and the ceiling, making it look like a tent. There were circle lamps that were frosted white that were hovering a few feet over the group of people.
There were white twinkling lights everywhere and in a corner there was a small band playing music. There were a few tables around near the walls for people to sit, but mostly students were standing and have conversation with Slughorn’s guests.
“Can you believe there are Vampires here? They are so cute-Oh, Amilia! You look beautiful!” said a Hufflepuff girl walking by with two other girls.
“Oh, thanks.” I shifted uncomfortably. I turned to Remus who looked rigid. “A Vampire… Remus, are you going to be okay?” I took his hand and led him to a table furthest away from the crowd. We sat down and Remus looked slightly worried.
“I’ve never been around a Vampire. I… I don’t know what’ll happen. We’re supposed to be natural enemies like cats and dogs… Do you think they’ll know?” he was looking around, searching for them.
“Remus, if you want to go its okay. I don’t mind, really. I don’t want anything to happen.” I was worried that two things would happen tonight if the Vampires found out: they would either attack him or let out his secret.
“I… I’m sorry-”
“Remus, you have nothing to be sorry about.” I stated firmly. He slowly stood up and then quickly made his way out the door.
I looked over in the crowed to see Lily having an animated conversation with Professor Slughorn and one of his guests. James was just staring at her and a few times Slughorn gave him a few worried glances. I smiled, then sighed and rested my head on the table.
Remembering the girls who went to Hogsmeade I raised my head to look for Clair, Cassandra, and Lena. I first saw Cassandra who was wearing a gold dress, her arms around a guys neck, his hands on her waist as they danced. They slowly turned and my eyes widened.
Regulus was smiling lightly down at her and she smiling widely. I saw their lips move as they began to talk. If I felt bad before, I felt even worse now. I slumped in my chair and scowled. Ahead of me I saw Clair in a beautiful purple dress with the Prefect from Hufflepuff. He was talking to her, but I could tell she wasn’t paying much attention because her eyes kept wander over to a couple who wear snogging in a corner away from the crowd. I did a double take and I felt something hot scratching the inside of my stomach as that annoying organ in my chest began to twist as if trying to break loose and jump out my throat to go and strangle Lena.
There in that corner was Lena and Sirius kissing heavily.
My heart was beating angrily.
His hands were gripping her waist tightly.
The heat in my stomach seemed to turn up a few hundred degrees.
Her hands were entangled in his shaggy dark hair.
The clawing in my stomach seemed more urgent as it clawed faster.
I sucked in a sharp breath and then turned away and glared it my hands that were on my lap.
I saw a familiar shade of blue whip out of view out of the entrance fallowed by a greasy hair guy wearing an all black dress robes.
My eyebrows knitted together and I stood up and walked out of the party. I slowly walked down the hall and heard harsh whispers to my left. I slowly peeked around the corner to see Lily glaring at Snape.
“How could you come with… with him!” he whispered angrily.
“We’re dating-” Snape jaw clenched, “this is what people do when they date! What’s it to you anyways?” Lily said harshly.
“I- he’s a jerk! An arrogant prat-”
“Oh, and what your friends, huh? They aren’t exactly role model students, Sev! And… and at least James has never called me a… a-a Mudblood-”
“I’m sorry!” his angry voice had totally changed to what now seemed like a plea. “I’m sorry. I never meant to! It just happened! It was an accident!”
“An accident? What about everyone you call a Mudblood? Were they all accidents too?” her voice was still angry. “What makes me so different from them, huh?”
“I…” it became silent.
“I have to get back to the party.” she stated.
My eyes widened and I quickly made a run back to the dance. I winced as my heels made horrendously loud clacking noises. I pushed open the door but it didn’t budge. “What?!” I took a step back as I heard Lily coming down. The door opened and I felt like an idiot. Oh, pull. A girl with long, dark brown, finger wave hair stepped out wearing a flowing, beautiful red dress.
“Oh, did I hit you?” Lena asked, though she didn’t really seem like she cared.
“No. Where are you going?” I asked. My voice sounded odd… it sounded cold and aggressive.
Her eyebrow raised, “The bathroom. Do you have a problem with that?” she crossed her arms over her chest.
No.” I pulled open the door and stepped in. I was breathing hard and I made my way back to the table I had been sitting at before.
I froze when I saw Sirius sitting there, with his head hanging back and his eyes closed. I slowly turned around to find another table, far away from him.
Amilia?!” there was a loud clatter.
I froze again.
Sirius voice sounded so surprised and unsure.
I took a deep breath and spun around, “What?” I asked, trying to act nonchalant.
He was now standing up, his chair was on the ground, his mouth was ajar, his eyes were wide, the gray in them looked slightly clouded.
We stood there, just staring at each other. Well, he was staring at me. I kept glancing around and shifting on my feet, feeling uncomfortable under his unreadable gaze.
I could hear my heart beating slowly, but hard in my ears, my knees felt weak, and if I bit my bottom lip any harder I’m sure it would start to bleed.
He took a deep breath and raised his hands slightly, but then let them drop back down. His mouth moved like he was about to speak, but no words came out. He sat down and I winced when he met no chair, but the floor.
I took a few steps towards him, “Uh, are you okay?”
He scrambled up to his feet and picked up his chair and then after another long glance at me, he sat down. “You…. Er….”
I sat down on the chair opposite of him, “Wow, thank you. That’s the best compliment I have received all night…. Uh, mind telling me exactly what it means?” I smiled and he grinned.
I looked over to see Lily and James slow dancing. His lips were moving; he was whispering something in Lily’s that was making her blush.
“Want to dance?” Sirius asked.
I slowly glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, “Not really. I’m a horrible dancer.”
He smiled and stood up and walked around the table and stood in front of me and held out his hand. “Me too.”
I couldn’t help but smile and roll my eyes, “Yeah, alright.” I took his hand and he led me to the dance floor.
“Okay, so, I’m pretty sure you put your arms like this…” he grabbed my hands and lifted them up and placed them around his neck. “And… I’m pretty sure,” I raised an eyebrow and he was trying to hide a smile, “I put my hands here…” he placed them on my waist. He was smiling and avoided making eye contact. “Now, we sway.”
He began to sway side to side, bobbing his head to the beat of the music. “Wow, you weren’t lying when you said you’re a bad dancer.” I said laughing lightly.
He grinned, “And were you?”
“Well, I’m definitely better than you. Here, stop-” I laughed because Sirius began to sway his hips almost violently, “stop, oh god, please stop.”
“Am I embarrassing you?” he asked, grinning.
“No, you’re embarrassing yourself.” I grabbed his waist to make him stop.
“Oohh, so you want to lead, okay.” he placed his arms around my neck.
I sighed and dropped my hands, “Come on be serious. This is the only time you’re probably ever going to dance with me.”
“What are you talking about? I am Sirius. Okay, okay, alright.” he smiled lightly and then placed his hands gently on my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck and we began to dance slowly with the song.
“Where’s Mooney?” Sirius asked.
“There are Vampires here, we’d thought it would be safer if he left.”
“Alright…” he lowered his head and inhaled. “You smell good.”
“That’s creepy.”
He laughed, “I mean, I don’t know, it smells like you. It smells like spice yet sweet and warm.”
“Its amber. But when am I ever sweet and warm to you?”
“Well, I get full blast of the spice, but I’ve seen you be warm and sweet with… well, everyone else.
I smiled, “That’s true.”
We fell into a comfortable silence and I couldn’t help my face from growing warm when Sirius pulled me closer. “You look… beyond beautiful.”
I rolled my eyes but I still blushed. I chewed the inside of my lip nervously and then rested my head on his shoulder. I felt him go rigid slightly and I was about to lift my head when I felt his head rest against mine. We continued dancing in silence, the lighting seemed to dim as more people walked onto the dance floor and also began slow dancing.
“Uh, I think this dance belongs to me.” I heard a sour voice state. I looked up and backed away from Sirius to see Lena standing there with her arms crossed, her lips in a thin smile, and a cold glare.
“Er… I-”
“Yeah, yeah… I - we were- we’re just friends.” I said hastily taking another step away from Sirius making his hands slip from my waist. I avoided making eye contact with Sirius and I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly and then turned around and made my way out of there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay!!
Here it is!!
Cassandra's Dress
Clair's Dress
Lena's Dress
Alice's Dress
Lily's Dress
Amilia's Dress

There
happy?
You better be!!
:D
Thank you EVERYONE who has commented!!