Cats and Dogs

Chapter 23

Chapter 23

“Um, look, just stay close to me -- or - or Prongs,” Sirius added the last part quickly in a haste whisper as we walked out of the castle towards the Whomping Willow under the Invisibility Cloak.
“Yeah, just as a precaution, Whiskers -- not that you can’t take care of yourself, its more for the safety of everyone. This is sort of like practice before we let you run wild and into the actual game, alright?” James whispered and I nodded wordlessly though I was scowling.
We successfully got out of the castle without detection and James pulled the cloak off of us and my face was met with the cool, crisp winter night air.
“Ah,” said Sirius inhaling a deep breath and let out a pleasant sigh as James quickly tucked the cloak into his robe.
“You know, we need to figure out a way to get the map back.” James grumbled moodily. “I’m tired of having to peek around corners before walking down the halls.”
“Are you kidding? That thing is probably long gone. I bet you he threw it out.” Sirius stated shaking his head solemnly. “Ah, here comes Peter.” Sirius said grinning and looking at the ground, watching a rat scurry over to us. Sirius stretched and then formed into a large, shaggy, black dog that still looked to be grinning.
I turned to James who was now in his stag form who stomped his hooves happily and then prodded me with his antlers, signaling me to change. I smiled and nodded and then closed my eyes and felt my body melt down and twist. When I opened my eyes, every thing looked to be ten times closer and as clear as daylight and I knew I was in my cat form. I stretched and extended my sharp claws and glared at Sirius threateningly. Still think I can’t take care of myself?
He rolled his eyes and we made our way towards the Whomping Willow. Sirius, James, and I stopped as to not get pulverized by the enchanted tree and waited as Peter scurried over and pressed the knob on the tree, and we watched as it became still.
Peter quickly ran as far from the tree as possible and a few moments later a large, dark figure crawled out of the hole under the Whomping Willow. It was hunched over and was breathing deeply for a few moments and then suddenly it raised its large head and let out a loud howl. It then broke out into a run and Sirius and James quickly followed it, running close to Remus. I smiled inwardly and then broke out into a run after them, enjoying the cool breeze that blew across my warm, furry face.
We ran around the whole night and from a third person’s perspective I’m sure it looked like we were playing tag, which in a sense we were. I quite enjoyed running freely around with my best mates, fully enjoying the euphoria that was pumping through my bloods caused by the sense of freedom.
On several occasions I would jumped on Sirius’s back and hissed out laughter when he would jump and buck me off of him. I even enjoyed antagonizing Remus to chase me around and laughed inwardly when I would quickly outrun him and climb and hide in a tree and watch as Remus looked around for me.
At first I could tell Sirius thought I was acting rather reckless but upon seeing Moony’s confused expression when he looked around, stumped, wondering where I had disappeared to, made Sirius join in the fun.
When we all agreed it was time we headed up to bed, James and Sirius did the task of forcing Remus back into the Shrieking Shack through vicious growls and prodding antlers and threatening stomps.
James and Sirius turned back into their normal forms and went under the Invisibility Cloak, while Peter and I stayed in our Animagus form. If anyone saw us they would just think we were some students’ pets wondering around the castle, but I’m sure they would suspect something odd if they saw a large dog and a stag wondering around the castle.

~~~

The next day most of the Gryffindors were saying their goodbyes in the common room with their trunk packed, ready to go home for the holidays.
“But why must you go, my Lily-Flower?” James cried gloomily as we all made our way to the Great Hall for some breakfast before we had to head off to the train station.
She sighed, “Because I miss my family and honestly, James, its only for a short while. I think you’ll be able to survive that long without me-”
“No! See, that’s were you got it all wrong!” James cried as we sat down and began to fill out plates and stomachs with breakfast. “I won’t be able to survive that long, my beautiful Lily-Flow-”
Stop calling me that!” Lily hissed though there was a hint of amusement in her eyes.
James pouted and slumped over, pushed his plate aside and buried his face in his arms on the table, grumbling he wasn’t hungry. Lily rolled her eyes at this, “You’re acting like a child.”
“Well, you’re acting like a- a-!” James stammered, jolting up and looking at Lily heatedly.
She raised an eyebrow, “A what, exactly?”
“A lovely daughter who misses and loves her family.” he finally mumbled slouching over again.
“Oh, come off it mate!” Sirius stated rolling his gray eyes. “She’ll be back before you know it!” he leaned over and whispered in his ear, “And besides,” he grinned mischievously, “Snivilly is staying for Christmas break.”
James eyes seemed to lighten up as he turned around and sneered at the Slytherin table. “Lovely.” he smirked.
“What’s lovely?” Lily asked after swallowing down her food from across the table.
“Hm? Oh, nothing. Just… you know… the weather.” James stated pitifully.
I shook my head smiling lightly and then raised my eyes and searched the Slytherin table and found Regulus staring at me.
I fought back a scowl and stood up slowly, not breaking my eye contact with him and nodded slightly towards the door. His eyes narrowed slightly but he complied, mumbling something to his friends and standing up. “I’ve got something to do, I’ll see you guys in a bit.”
I walked hastily out of the Great Hall and saw Regulus leaning against a wall halfway down a nearby corridor. “You wanted to speak?” he asked with an odd tone.
I wanted to narrow my eyes and glare at him, but I fought it back and just smiled and walked over to him, “Yeah, I was wondering what you were planning on doing during your holidays? Your probably going home, so I thought maybe we could meet up during and hangout or something.” I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck and he placed his hands on my waist.
He sighed and shook his head, “I’m staying here for the holidays.”
My eyes itches to narrow but did not, “Oh, why? I’m sure your family would love to see you.”
He nodded, “Yes, but they’re going to be busy this holiday.”
I chewed on the inside of my lip, “So, what’ll you be doing while you’re here? Are your… friends staying too?”
He shrugged, “Yeah. Not sure what we’ll be doing though. Probably just hang around… do some homework.”
I clenched my jaw and then raised my lips to his and kissed his softly. “Is there anything you want to tell me?” I whispered looking into his deep, dark eyes. This would be his last chance to come clean. I wanted him to come clean about whatever they were planning, not just to find out about the plan, but to know if he actually cared about me. About us.
He stared down at me, his expression unreadable as usual, though there was something odd gleaming in his eye and his jaw twitched slightly, then he licked his lips quickly. He shook his head, “No, nothing.”
My hands slid off of him and down to my sides and I nodded slowly, “Okay… well, we better get back…”
He nodded in agreement, “You should go first. It would look suspicious if we went back in together.”
I smiled weakly, “Yeah… Well, have a good holiday.” I mumbled and turned around. I could feel his gaze on the back of my head and I heard him mumbled something that sounded like, “Be safe.” but I shook it off and reentered the Great Hall to see people starting to get up.
I walked over to my group of friends, “Is it already time to go?” I asked, grabbing my trunk.
Lily nodded, “Yes,” her eyes wondered over to Regulus who rejoined the still sitting Slytherins. “Did you… do it?” she asked softly and quietly.
I shook my head, “No… not yet. I didn’t really find out anything -- other then him and his friends are staying for the holidays.” I sighed in frustration and watched as most of the Great Hall emptied. Very few Gryffindors stayed, around the same amount of Hufflepuffs stayed as well, and only a few more Ravenclaws stayed seated. My eyes narrowed at the Slytherins.
All of them were still sitting and that’s when I noticed none of them had their trunks.
James cry pulled my attention to him, “Don’t go, my Lily-Flower!”
Lily sighed and smiled lightly, “James, you can either waste time whining over something that wont change or… you can kiss me goodbye.”
James eyes widened and I jumped back slightly when James threw his arms around Lily and kissed her deeply.
Lily stumbled slightly but then wrapped her arms around James and kissed him back just as happily.
“Er,” I turned around and looked at Remus who looked slightly appalled. “Right, so I’ll see you when I get back.” I said and he turned and smiled at me.
“Looking forward to it.” he raised his arms, gesturing for a hug and I grinned and complied and we embraced each other. “Are you sure you don’t want to tell me what you got me for Christmas?” he whispered.
I laughed and pulled back, “I’m sure.”
He shrugged, “I tried.”
I heard someone clear their throat and the fluttering in my stomach already told me who it was. I turned around and saw Sirius, “So… erm…” he looked around and then scratched the back of his head.
“Have a good holiday.” I stated with a small smile.
“Right, yeah, that. You too, I mean…” he looked to be in thought for a short second, “Did you… I mean… do we have to hug?”
A smile twitched at my lips, “I don’t think Lena would be to happy about that.” I said, my eyes flying to the beautiful Ravenclaw who was sitting on the table, her eyes watching me narrowly.
Sirius turned around and waved at her and she then smiled sweetly at him and he turned back around, “She’s the jealous type. Loads are…” he smirked, “but with me as a boyfriend, who wouldn’t be, right?”
I raised an eyebrow, “Anyone with sense.”
He laughed, “Yeah, right. So, okay…”
“We should go.” I heard Lily say softly. I turned and saw her hair was slightly messy and her face was flushed.
I smiled, “Alright, then.” I waved at James who looked to be in a daze as he waved back and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had no idea who he was waving at. “Right, lets go.”

~~~

“Alice!” I cried happily as I entered the compartment she was in. Lily was off on Prefect duties and said she would join me later.
Alice eyes lit up and she smiled, “Hey, Amilia, thought I’d have to endure this train ride alone. Is Lily here?” she asked as I sat down across from her.
“Yeah, but she’s on Prefect duties. So, just staying with your parents for the holidays? Frank stayed, I guess?”
She nodded, “Yeah, I’ve missed the past two Christmases and my mum kept hinting in letters that if I didn’t attend this one she would write me out of her will.” she frowned playfully, “Actually, that’s exactly what she wrote.”
We laughed and I stretched and then laid across the seat, “So, did you enjoy Slughorn’s dance?”
She nodded, “Actually, yeah, it was better than I thought it would be. Frank and I really enjoyed ourselves. And you?”
I pursed my lips and I’m sure I was scowling.
Alice sighed, “That bad?”
“Yeah.” I grumbled.
“Well,” she sighed again, “if you weren’t so stubborn…” she mumbled.
My eyes narrowed at her and she quickly looked away, obviously trying to avoid eye-contact. “And what exactly do you mean by that?”
She tapped her foot for a few moments before looking at me, “You and Sirius-”
“Stop. Why do people think - look…” I laughed coldly, “Sirius and I are just friends. Nothing more. Yeah, we went out once, but I was sort of drugged, so it doesn’t really count.”
Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, “Drugged?”
“Yeah, it’s a long story, well, sort of, I just don’t feel like talking about it.”
“What’s the point of denying your feelings?” I was going to snap a retort but she continued, “I mean, your eyes light up when you see him -- hell, even when you’re glaring at him, there’s still a light in your eyes-”
“Yeah, a light of hatred-”
“And his light up too! He’s only going out with Lena to make you jealous-”
“Well, I’m not the jealous type-”
“You guys make each other laugh-”
“James and Sirius make each other laugh, but you don’t see them snogging-”
“You guys fit each other! You keep him in check and he makes sure you don’t become uptight-”
“When am I uptight?!”
“How do you feel when you’re around him?” she finally asked.
My eyes were slightly wide, my mouth was ajar and slightly dry, and I felt a bit queasy. “I…” I didn’t know what to say. All I could do was shake my head and she sighed.
“How can you be happy if you’re too stubborn to realize the guy who can do that for you is standing right in front of you?”
“I… You… crazy.” I stated, looking at her like she was mental.
She rolled her eyes, “And your blind.”
“Hey guys!” Lily stepped into the compartment. “What are you guys talking about? Amilia, are you alright?” Lily sat next to Alice, looking at me worriedly.
I nodded wordlessly.
“We were just talking about how Amilia is a fool for not being with Sirius.” Alice stated honestly and I glared at her.
Lily smiled, “Oh, can I join in?”
No! This conversation is closed.” I stated firmly, crossing my arms.
Lily chewed on the inside of her mouth, thinking and then smiled and then pulled out her wand and waved it. My eyes narrowed.
Lily turned to Alice and her lips began to move quickly like she was talking though there was no sound. “Hey! Did you put up a Silencing Charm?!” I asked angrily but Lily and Alice just continued to talk, sending me different types of looks now and then.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates in one day!!
:D
Woot woot!!
Can anyone make any guesses as to what the Slytherins are up to??
Eh, eh??
Hahaha, anyways... Thanks for comment support!!
Okay, tooda-loo!!