Cats and Dogs

Chapter 29

Chapter 29

I opened my eyes the next morning and saw Lily standing there with her arms crossed. “Glad to know you slept well.”
I blinked tiredly, “Um… sorry?”
She sighed heavily and then sat down in the chair, “I mean, I was up all night thinking.”
“Oh,” I slowly sat up. “Have you come to any conclusion?”
“Yes, that you’re all arses for not telling me sooner.” She stated with a glare.
I pouted, “Wonderful.”
“But,” her eyes softened, “I’ve decided that there isn’t really a point in being mad about it. What’s done is done.”
“Good morning my love- Oh,” Sirius froze at the end of the steps. “Lily… I…” He quickly turned around to run back up the stairs.
“Sirius wait! I’m not mad anymore. And I’m sorry about throwing that picture at you.”
Sirius slowly stepped down, “Alright… But just for safe measure, where’s your wand?”
Lily rolled her eyes, “Oh, just get the others.” She waved her hand causing Sirius to quickly duck.
I raised an eyebrow and let out a laugh, “You’re an idiot.”
Sirius rubbed the back of his head sheepishly and then ran back up the stairs and a few moments later Sirius, Peter, Remus, and James crept down the stairs, all with caution.
“Lily-Flower?” James asked cautiously.
But Lily wasn’t looking at him. Lily’s deep emerald eyes were focused on Remus who stayed by the stairs while the others came to sit with me, with his eyes on the floor. “Remus?” Lily walked slowly over to him. Remus shifted on his feet and reluctantly peered up at Lily. “I wish you would have been the one to tell me…” Remus looked away, shifting on his feet again as the rest of us watch in wonder. “What do you think of me?”
The question seemed to confuse Remus… and everyone else. I rolled my eyes at their stupidity.
“I… Um-”
“Do you think I’m shallow? Superficial?” Lily tilted her head slightly, searching Remus’s lost face.
“What? No!”
“Mean, then? Cruel, surely.” Her voice held a hint of annoyance.
Remus’s eyes were slowly widened, “No! None of that-”
Lily then began smacking Remus everywhere, “Then why-”
“OW! Ah-Lily!!”
“Would you not-”
Remus stumbled back against the wall and began crouching down, hiding under his arms.
“Tell me?!” One final hard smack did it. Lily took a step back and fixed her hair.
“You have to see it from my point-of-view!” Remus said quickly. “I’m… I’m dangerous! I’m an animal! One that has no control! I’m- A fre-”
“Don’t you dare say it.” Lily stated firmly, placing her hands on her hips. “You are Remus Lupin. Intelligent, friendly, caring, humorous, brave, and kind! That’s who you are. And nothing else-”
“You’re wrong! I’m a werewolf!” He whispered the last part harshly.
What you are isn’t who you are, Remus.” Lily stated softly, her hands fell from her hips and she walked closer to him and placed her hand gently on his hunched shoulder. There was a heavy silence in the room.
So, Christmas presents!! Did you guys like them?” The room felt lightened.
“Oh yeah! It’s brilliant, Whiskers!” James pulled out the stag necklace I gave him for Christmas. When Lily saw it she smiled lightly, pulled her doe necklace and showed it to James who then grinned.
“It’s really great!” Peter said happily looking down at the necklace shaped as a cute rat that was around his neck.
I saw Remus pull out his. It was a oval silver charm that had a werewolf on it. He looked down at it and smiled lightly.
“I agree with Peter.” Sirius stated holding his dog necklace with a smirk.
We all sat down and started expressing gratitude for the presents we received from each other.
“Hey,” I suddenly interjected. I heard James talking to Remus about the novel about giants he received which sparked my memory. “I saw a giant, not too long ago.”
Everyone turned to me, “You saw a giant? When?” James exclaimed.
“I said, ‘not too long ago‘.” James rolled his eyes. “Here actually. He was looking for Dumbledore… I think he said his name was… Rabid… no, Hagrid, yeah that sounds-”
Hagrid?!” Several voices said at once, everyone was looking at me with slightly wide eyes.
You saw Hagrid?” James said grabbing me roughly on the shoulders. “When? Where? Is he still here?”
“I already said when and where. If he’s still here, I have no idea-”
“What did he say when you met him?” Sirius asked.
“Not much. I bumped into him, we said our apologies, he asked where Dumbledore’s office was and that was that.” I shrugged.
“A giant? Why’d you say he was a giant?” James asked.
My eyebrows furrowed together, “Have you not seen him? It’s kind of obvious…”
“He’s not a giant. He is a very kind, gentle man.” Lily said in Hagrids defense.
“Yeah, he seemed like a nice guy. I’m not saying anything bad against him, but you can’t deny he’s got to be at least part giant.” They all exchanged looks.
James suddenly stood up from the couch, “Guys, lets go visit his house to see if he’s there.”
“Yeah, we should find out where he disappeared to at the end of last year.” Sirius said while standing up.
I stood up and placed my hands on my hips, “And I want to get down to this ‘giant theory’.”
Everyone looked at me with slightly worried looks and I rolled my eyes, “I wont ask him straight out! Is he an intelligent man?”
They all exchanged looks.
“You’ll get it out of him easily.” Remus mumbled.

We had left the common room and were making our way down to Hagrids hut and The Marauders had all began coming up with different ideas and stories that would explain Hagrids disappearance.
“I’m telling you, James! Hagrid probably joined a quidditch team as a beater! With big strong, massive arms like that-!”
“I never knew you felt that way about Hagrid, Sirius.” Remus smirked.
“Oh shove it.” said Sirius, rolling his eyes.
“Look, there’s no way Hagrid could have possibly been a quidditch player! He’s too big-”
“Because he’s a giant.” I stated, cutting off James who rolled his eyes.
“Um, hey guys.” Lily said softly.
We all stopped in our tracks and turned back to look at Lily who seemed to be standing stiffly. “… Yeah?” I asked a bit curiously. I saw something out of the corner of my eye and I quickly turned to look but saw nothing.
“I just remembered. I have an essay due on Monday. I need to go to the library. You guys go on without me. I’ll see you all later.” she looked slightly fazed by something.
“Are you alright?” I asked, tilting my head slightly.
She nodded, her face seemed blank, “Yes. I’ll see you later.”
I raised an eyebrow and I felt Sirius tug my hand and whine slightly, “Come on. We’ll tell you how it goes later, alright, Lily?”
She nodded and James smiled and kissed her on the cheek, “Bye, love.”
“Come on!” Peter called as he began jogging down the hall.
“Oi James, I bet you five sickles that he was on a quidditch team!” Sirius called after James who ran over to Peter. Sirius grabbed my hand and practically dragged me as he ran to catch up with the others.
“Hagrid oh Hagrid, where have you been?” James sang, throwing his arms around Remus and Peter.
“You where playing quidditch but did you ever win?” Sirius sang along.
The cold air of January hit us right in the face causing all to wince but I was thankful that it was not snowing.
“Hey, what was up with Lily?” I whispered to Sirius.
“What do you mean? She always gets all rigid when she has a paper due.” He was smiling and looking ahead at James jumping on Remus who then collapsed under the sudden weight.
I rolled my eyes with a smile, “Alright come on. Lets get down to this Hagrid mystery.”
After a few more yards we got down to the hut that had faint smoke coming out of the chimney which seemed to confirm that in fact, Hagrid was here.
“Who’d like to do the honors of knock-”
I knocked firmly on the door. The was a shuffle inside and the sound of glasses clanking and strange yelping.
“Er one momen’ please!”
After a few more bangs and odd yelping the wooden door swung open to reveal Hagrid. Under his dark, bushy eyebrows I could see his brown eye light up.
“If it isn’ young Sirius Black, James Potter, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew!” He opened his arms and scooped up Sirius, James, and I.
“Oof!” I felt the air leave my lungs.
“What’s this?” he let us all go and then looked down at me. “Well you look familiar!”
I opened my mouth to speak when I was interrupted by a high pitch bark. Out from in between Hagrids feet came running a small gray puppy. My eyes widened and I quickly scooped it up. “Aw! He’s so cute!” I couldn’t help it.
I squealed.
“’is name’s Fang!” He grinned. “Oh, please, come in!” He turned around and we followed him into his small, cramped home. All the furniture seemed extraordinarily large; the chairs, the bed, the mugs and plates… but perfect for a giant9.
I peered up at him as we all took our seats and I placed the puppy on my lap. “Yer Mad-Eye Moody’s sister, ain’t ya?” Hagrid asked me with interest.
My eyebrows furrowed, “’Mad-Eye’?”
“Yea, I ran into ‘im not too long ago. Have ya not seen ‘is eye? It’s a bit… er… odd, is it not?”
“Oh, right. Yeah, it definitely gave me the creeps.” I took the next few moments explaining to the guys what happened to my brothers eye and what thing had replaced it.
“That does sound creepy…” Peter mumbled as a chill ran down his spine.
“So, how yer been? Oh, wait o’sec, where is Lily?” Hagrid asked.
“Emergency study hall.” James said and then grinned. “She finally came to her senses Hagrid!”
“Ya mean to say you and her-”
“Are the happiest couple in the world!” James exclaimed.
Sirius scoffed, “You guys just got over a fight. I’d say that puts Amilia and I at the top of happiest couples.” Sirius wrapped his arm around me and I rolled my eyes.
Hagrid was gapping, “You? Sirius Black, have finally settled down on one girl?”
Sirius nodded, “Yes, I am proud to proclaim that I am thoroughly- ah, what’s the word?”
“Whipped.” I stated.
“Yes, that would be the one!” Sirius placed a kiss on my cheek and though I rolled my eyes once more I couldn’t help but smile.
“But enough about us, what about you? Where have you been?” James asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Visiting family?” I asked eyeing him suspiciously.
They all exchanged glances like I brought up a touchy subject and Hagrid sniffled a little, “Ah, no, I’ve not seem ‘em in years.”
Remus leaned over as Hagrid began to pore us some tea and whispered, “He never knew his mum and his dad died a while ago.”
“Oh…” I decided to drop my theory on Hagrid being a giant… for now…
“So then, where have you been?” Sirius asked as he took his tea.
Hagrid handed me my tea and I watched out of the corner of my eye as Sirius let the tea he sipped pore back into his cup through his pursed lips and I put my cup down.
“Er… where have I been? Oh, I was looking around for a good guard dog, and here he is!”
“For seven months?” Remus inquired with a knowing look.
“Look, yer all too young to know-”
“But we weren’t too young for Voldemort and his followers when he attacked us on the Hogwarts Express.” I stated. Hagrid averted his gaze and fumbled with the kettle, almost dropping it. I narrowed my eyes, “It’s about Voldemort, isn’t it? I mean we already know that, we’re not stupid and we’re not children. So just tell us.” I said firmly.
Hagrid let out a heavy sigh and looked us all quickly in the eye. “Alright, but what I say does not leave this room-”
“Except to tell Lily.” James said quickly and Hagrid gave a nod.
“’O course.” Hagrid patted his beard momentarily and then continued. “As you know, Voldemort is building up an army… and so is Dumbledore.” We all exchanged looks of mild surprise and curiosity. “Dumbledore sent me around to build bridges and alliances. That’s why I’ve been gone.”
We were all silent. I couldn’t tell you what they were thinking, but I sure as hell knew what I was. I stood up with my jaw clenched and stormed out of Hagrids home. The guys followed me as I stormed back towards the castle and Sirius caught my hand, stopping me from going any further.
“What’s your problem?” Sirius asked confused.
“Why didn’t he tell me?!” I shouted angrily. “I mean us.” I shook my head, “No. I do mean me.”
“What?” Sirius was confused.
“I fought against Death Eaters the day they attacked. I went face-to-face with Voldemort. I’ve created my own spells! I know magic beyond what they teach in school! I want to fight and Dumbledore knows this! Why wouldn’t he tell me he was gathering an army! I would’ve been first to sign up!”
“Maybe that’s why he didn’t want to tell you.” Remus said calmly. “Believe this or not, and much to my dismay, we are still kids.” I opened my mouth to retort but he continued. “He wants us to continue being free of the burden the adults have to face everyday. They’re constantly worrying. Constantly protecting. Constantly fighting… How would you feel if your kids had to fight at age sixteen?”
A squirming feeling invaded my stomach at the thought of having kids. “Look, if I ever do have a kid they wont have to worry about fighting because I’m going to stop this! I’m going to kill the Death Eaters that killed my parents and I’m going to kill Voldemort!”
“All by yourself?” James inquired.
“Yes! No! I mean-!” I shook my head. “I want to be let in on things such as an army that’s fighting against evil!”
“Dumbledore knows what he’s doing, love. He’ll let us in when he needs to.”
“Let us in on what?” We all turned to see Lily standing a few feet away from us. She seemed stiff and slightly dazed.
“Oh, Lily we just left Hagrids! Are you done with your essay?” James smiled and tried to kiss Lily but she pulled away.
“What did Hagrid say?” she asked firmly.
“What’s wrong, Lily?” James asked with a frown. “You can’t still be mad…”
“What did Hagrid say?” she asked with a bit more demand.
“He said that Dumbledore-”
“Shut up!” I said quickly to James who’s frown deepened more and he huffed.
“Geeze, what’s with you guys today-”
“Something is wrong with Lily.” I said as my eyes narrowed at her.
“Nothing is wrong with me.” Lily said turning to me. “So what did Hagrid say-”
My blood was boiling. “They’ve gone too far!” I yelled angrily.
“What are you talking about?” Sirius asked.
“She’s under the Imperius Curse!” I grabbed Lily by the shoulders.
“What?9” James asked as they all exchanged worried and confused looks.
“Lily the spell can be broken. I know you have the will to break it. Lily!” I shook her a little.
“Get off her!” James pushed me away from her. “She’s just Lily!” He looked angry and he turned to Lily but his express changed to worry. “Aren’t you? Lily?”
“I’m…”
James took her hands, “Lily?”
Lily’s eyebrows furrowed and she opened her mouth to speak but she just gaped like a fish for a short while. “Lily? Lily?” James was breathing faster. He was scared.
I was pissed.
I pulled out my wand and broke out into a run and I could here the guys screaming after me.
It was still early. They would be at breakfast.
I ran into the castle, down the halls, shoving past people, screaming at others to get out of my way. My feet were slamming into the ground and if I ran any harder I thought I would break through the floor.
The large doors to the Great Hall were wide open, as was their vulnerability.
My heart was beating hard and fast. I was so angry I felt sick.
I ran into the Great Hall and my head immediately turned to the Slytherin table.
And there they all were.
Nott, Mulciber, Yaxley, Parkinson, Rosier, Avery, Black and Snape.
“Which one of you did it?!” I marched towards them and everyone turned to me. “WHICH ONE OF YOU DID IT?!!”
I could see it in their cold and smug eyes they knew what I was talking about. I raised my wand, “CONFRINGO!” Their table exploded, sending pieces of wood, food, and utensils everywhere. Splitters of wood and dust filled the air along with screams. People began to run past me to get out of the line of soon-to-be fire.
A jet of light shot out from the smoke and I barely dodged it as I jumped behind a table.
“That’s it! You’re done here Moody!” I heard Nott yelled and then I heard him snicker.
“What’s going- oh my word!” I peeked over the table at saw McGonagall at in the hall about to enter the room.
“Professor!” I heard Remus’s voice as the boys ran over to her. They were about to step into the Great Hall but I waved my wand, making the doors slam shut and sent a table prodding against it.
“What a stupid thing to do!” Avery yelled and a few more jets of light were shot my way. I quickly turned into a cat and ran out away as the table I was hiding under exploded.
“You should consider yourself lucky. You’re little spell injured a few of us, so we’re a few men short. Yaxley, Parkinson, and Mulciber wont be joining us.” Nott stated.
I turned back into myself, “And you should consider yourselves lucky. I just want one of you. Who used the Imperius Curse on Lily?!”
I heard a few of them laugh. “We have no idea what you’re talking about.” Rosier said.
“I already know it wasn’t you Nott. You’re the ring-leader of this little club. You wouldn’t risk yourself. You would’ve gotten one of your lackeys to do your dirty work. Just like before with Regulus. Aren’t I right Regulus?!” He was silent and I let out a cold laugh. “You tried to get close to me for information. I’m the sister of one of the most powerful Aurors and under the watchful eye of Dumbledore, he had to let me in on something, right? Well you were wrong… Dead wrong.” I quickly got up, “AGUAMENTI!” A large jet of water shot out of the tip of my wand at them. The water cleared the smoke and drenched them. Spells were thrown blindly around and I pointed my wand at a disoriented Rosier, “STUPIFY!” Rosier was blasted off his feet and slammed into the ground and was now unconscious.
Reducto!” I was blasted off my own feet now with a blow to the chest from the reducto curse Nott shot at me. I slammed onto a table and gasped for air. There was a sharp pain in my lungs and I rolled off the table for cover as more spells were shot my way.
“So,” I coughed a few times and took some steady breaths. “It wasn’t Nott, it wasn’t Regulus seeing as he already failed once… It still leaves me with a few choices… but you are questioning someone’s loyalty, aren’t you? You need him to prove to you all that he’s on your side. That he no longer has feeling for Lily…” I turned back into my cat form and stealthily ran under the table towards the culprit.
“It was you Snape.” I whispered when I was back to my normal self. My wand was pointed at his head and I wanted to blast it off, but without uttering the words he cursed me.
I felt sharp, searing pains all over my body and I fell over. A loud blast rang through the hall and I knew they had blown through my barricade. I wanted to scream. My clothes were beginning to get blood soaked and my eyes began to feel heavy and my body began to feel weak. “Amilia!” Sirius yelled as he ran to me and fell at my side. All the Professors were here and were holding back the guys with spells, stopping them from attacking the Slytherins.
“We need to get her to Madam Pomfrey.” McGonagall said with worry.
My eyes were barely staying open and I looked over at Sirius who looked beyond livid. Angry tears had filled his eyes and he was shaking.
I shut my eyes because I was too tired to keep them open any longer.
“You’re dead, Snape… you’re dead!
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey sorry for the long wait!!
X3
Um, if there are a lot of grammar mistakes, sorry I was kind of in a hurry in the editing process.
And I was also distracted with Cherrybomb with Rupert Grint. XD Great movie.
There are only a few more chapters. Like 2 or 3. :D