Cats and Dogs

Chapter 8

I shook the thought from my head though; it was, of course, ridiculous. It’s just one stupid date, and then after that, I won’t have anything to do with him. Sirius Black and Amilia Moody? Dating? It was complete and utter rubbish!

I pulled my hand out of his and then flipped through my book to get to the right page and then took and held Sirius’ hand in mine. After ready the directions thoroughly, I looked down at Sirius’ palm and studied it for a moment, tracing my finger along the lines and creases.

I heard a giggle escape his lips and I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, “What?” he asked, then shrugged, “I’m ticklish.”

“Oh!” I heard James say, I turned around and he leaned forward and said to me, “Quidditch tryouts had to get canceled last week, which is great, and you seem pretty brute,”

“Gee, thanks, Prongs, really,” I said with a hint of sarcasm.

He rolled his eyes and continued, “So, I was thinking you should tryout for being a Beater or Chaser!” he smiled and was nodding vigorously.

I thought about it for a moment and then grinned, “Alright. I think I’ll tryout for Beater,” I grinned and turned to Sirius, “beating balls with a bat, now that’s my kind of sport!” James laughed and Sirius chuckled nervously and then paled.

“Okay everyone!” Professor Quickwork chimed, “Class is nearly over! Who finished?” Boys all over the class rose their arms quickly into the air and I even heard a girl say, ‘Hey! We never even got to me!’

After she was done checking our classes work we were free and left to our next class and before I knew it, I was walking with my friends to the Quidditch field.

“You’ll be great!” Lily said to me once I was all geared up and mounted on my broom.

“Alright, here you are,” James handed me the club and then turned to Lily and stole a kiss from her cheek. “Wish me luck.” He said quickly.

I looked at him oddly as did Sirius who then said, “What do you need luck for? You’re the captain!”

I laughed lightly and James glared at him and mouth ‘shut up’ as he began to burn scarlet. “Well, I wish you luck to… not fall of your broom?” Lily said in James’ defense and he smiled happily and then strutted off to the center of the field.

“Alright, well I’m off,” I turned to Sirius who was tilting his head, sticking his cheek out towards me. “What the bloody hell are you doin’, Padfoot?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Wish me luck!” he said with a cutesy look on his face that any normal girl would fawn over.

I rolled my eyes and then crossed my arms, “What do you need luck for? I’m the one trying out.”

He turned to me with a smirk, “Oh, I see what you want.” He quickly leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.

My eyes turned wide and my mouth was ajar and I quickly looked around to make sure no one had seen that. Lily giggled at my expression and Sirius was smiling charmingly. “You know, if you wanted a kiss on the cheek, you could have just said so.” Sirius said and then winked at me.

My face burned with what I was convincing myself was fury, but it was caused by my blushing. “I-I didn’t want-“

“Sshh,” he put a finger to my lips, “go, before my luck runs out… Unless… you want another one?” he wiggled his eyebrows and I quickly shook my head and flew off to get in line.

“You were brilliant!” Lily said happily as we made our way out of the field. “It’s so obvious you got the position!”

I was grinning, and then turned to James who was being carried by Sirius and Remus, “How’s your head, mate?” I asked guiltily.

“Oh, fine!” he said with half a smile and his eyes seeming to look in two different directions, “the birds and stars stopped goin’ round, and round, and round, and round, and-“ he dropped his head and Sirius and Remus grunted and nearly fell down at the dead weight from James going out cold.

I winced. I had been hitting the Bludger back and forth with Raj Patil while flying around and trying to knock each other off our brooms when I hit it a bit too hard and it hit Raj’s broom stick at the tip causing it to knock out from under him, causing him to fall down on top of Frank Longbottom (who was already really nervous as it is), who screamed and lost balance and they both fell off of his broom while Lily gave out a scream. But Lily didn’t scream because two people were falling to, probably, a broken arm or leg, but because after the Bludger hit the tip of Raj’s broom it came flying back at me, but of course, I quickly dodged it, so it flew past me and then hit James right on the back of the head. For a moment I thought he was okay because he didn’t move but then he slid off his broomstick and went plummeting to the ground, and that’s when Lily screamed and I dived down after him and grabbed him by his ankle about five feet before he hit the ground.

“Back in the hospital wing so soon?!” Madam Pomfrey asked us with wide eyes as Sirius and Remus put him on one of the empty beds.

They all turned their eyes to me and I looked around innocently avoiding her piercing, disapproving eyes. “He just, you know, bumped his head.” I mumbled.

Madam Pomfrey rolled her eyes and then after casting a spell and wrapping a band-aid around James’ head she said he was free to go once he woke up. “Lily, I ottagay alktay otay ouyay!” I said, nodding to a corner away from the boys.

“James is the one who got hit with a Bludger, why the bloody hell is she talkin’ like she’s mental?” Sirius
whispered to Remus and Peter who looked at me just as wildly as Sirius did.

But Lily caught on and we both walked over to the empty corner. “What is it?” she asked.

“Well, do you want to go on a double date with Sirius and I?” I said a bit bluntly.

Her eyes widened and then she smiled, “Yeah! I think that will be great. When is James going to ask me?”

“Just ask him. I asked Sirius.” I stated.

“Really? You asked Sirius out?” she asked, shocked.

“Yeah…” I frowned slightly, “Though I don’t know why… I just remember that I did. Hogsmeade, this Friday.”

Lily nodded, “Alright, I’ll-“

“Oi! James! So you did live! Madam Pomfrey said you wouldn’t make it, seeing as you landed on you head…” Sirius said.

“I did?” James asked with wide eyes.

I laughed and shook my head, and then Lily and I walked back over to the group. “Amilia, here,” Remus looked up at me and smiled, “saved your life, James.” My cheeks began to burn. “She caught you right before you hit the ground.”

James looked up at me with sparkling eyes, “Really? Thanks, mate!”

Sirius was glaring at Remus, “Mind you, she’s the one who knocked you off your broom in the first place!”

“Oh,” James’ sparkle left his eyes, “in that case, I take back my thanks!” he huffed and crossed his arms over his chest in a child-like manner.

I frowned and slapped the back of Sirius’ head, “Ow!” he glared at me and rubbed the back of his head.

“Yes, well, she just suggested that we go on a double date, James.” Lily said softly, looking at James and when his eyes widened she looked away with a blush.

A sparkle more intense than the one before gleamed in his eyes, through his glasses, and a glorious smile appeared on his face and he turned to me, “Thanks, mate!” he said cheerfully. He turned to Lily, “Yes! I’d love to!”

I was smiling and then looked to see Remus quickly get up, with a confused, hurt, and angry look on his face, “A double date?” he asked and then looked at me and I felt as though my whole body had shrunk under his gaze, “You and who?”

“Me!” Sirius said standing up in front of me, almost protectively.

Remus turned to him and glared, “Why? What did you do? Slip her a love potion or something?!”

“No!” Sirius answered rather quickly. “And what’s it to you?”

“W-what?!” he asked angrily. “What do you mean, ‘what’s it to you?’?! I told you guys how I felt about her the second day she was here!”

“Well, I told you guys how I felt about her the first day she was here!” Sirius defended.

“Yeah! That you hated her!” Remus bellowed.

“What is going on here?!” Madam Pomfrey asked angrily as she walked over to us.

Sirius and Remus were glaring at each other so harshly that even Madam Pomfrey seemed to second guess herself about coming in between, but then continued, “I’ll have to ask you to leave.” She stated firmly.

“I was just doing that.” Remus said harshly as he quickly strode off. Peter seemed torn and kept looking back between Remus and us.

“Go on, Peter.” James whispered and then Peter quickly ran after Remus.

My whole body was shaking; I had no idea what to do. I hated not knowing what to do, it rarely ever happened. Remus obviously has – or maybe had – feelings for me that I had no idea about and Sirius and I are going on a date… he must be devastated.

“So, about that date!” James said with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lily?:

Image