Into the Fire

Chapter 21 - Father

David

I was on my knees, head hung low as Caim approached me. I looked up with tear filled eyes. Oh, Diva... I thought, closing my eyes. I'll miss you. I heard his quick footsteps, telling me he was running. I could imagine it. His sword lifting into the air, slashing down...

The noise of clanging metal made my head snap up. I stared in shock as a transparent figure stood in front of me. He had a sword raised, blocking Caim's hit. He seemed so familiar, but....Who was he?

"Ancubus." Caim growled. Ancubus? I stared, taking in his features. Why did he look....like me? Suddenly, Caim was thrown backwards as what seemed like lightning shot out of the man's sword. He turned to me, smiling.

"David." He said gently. "You've grown so much."

"Wh-Who are you?" I asked quietly. His smile lightened as he turned, without even looking, blocking a hit from Caim and sending him flying once more.

"Fool." Ancubus said. "You can't defeat me."

"Damn you!" Caim snarled, running at him again. "Damn you to hell!" He brought his sword down, but Ancubus disappeared. "YOU COWARD!" Caim cried.

"Behind you." A voice chuckled. Caim whirled around, eyes wide with rage and rushed toward him. Ancubus shook his head. "You truly are a fool." His smile became a smirk. His eyes glistening with a look of mischief. "Just like your damned wife."

Everything seemed to slow down. Caim screamed, falling to his knees. He cradled his head, his body shaking.

"Master!" A shrill voice said. Anox ran toward him, leaning down to his level. "Master?" Caim reached forward, grabbing her shoulders. A bright light and an ear splitting scream rang out. As the light faded, only Caim was left. Blood splattered around the floor beneath him. He killed her?! Wings has forced themselves out of his back, blood trickling down them. He scowled at Ancubus, fangs bared.

"I'll kill you." He hissed. "This is for you, Raelynn." He whispered. Ancubus rose up into the air, his sword in front of him. "Are you ready, mongrel?" He asked, looking to me.

"W-What? Ready for what?" I said.

"To watch your father die."

My father?

Ancubus smiled at me, nodding. I felt my jaw fall open as I stared in shock as they battled. The noise of their swords colliding sending shivers down my spine in fear.

"Raelynn!" Caim yelled, rushing at him again. Suddenly, I saw a very different Caim. A warm smile on his face, a woman at his side. He was peaceful, laughing. He was in love. I knew. I knew because....that was how I was with Diva.

"You loved her." I said. He froze in mid-air. "You loved Raelynn, didn't you?"

"She was my wife." He answered, glaring at Ancubus. "And you killed her. You killed my beautiful Raelynn." His voice cracked. Ancubus sighed.

"She was evil, Caim."

"Shut up! SHUT UP!" He screamed.

"She was going to kill you. And your daughter."

"NO! SHE WOULD NEVER! SHE LOVED ME! And- And I loved her." He flew, sword raised high, but Ancubus was able to avoid it easily. "SHE LOVED BOTH OF US!"

"No. She used you."

"NO!"

"She used you. All she wanted was a child. The blood of a child is most powerful." Ancubus said, his expression fierce.

"NO! SHE WOULD NEVER HURT DIVA! NEVER!"

Diva?