Talk About a Screw Up

Ch.2 Getting Back Together

Dillon was in 7th grade while I was in 8th which didn’t really effect anything, we just didn’t have any classes together. I got on the cold yellow bus and swung my backpack onto the green moldy seats. I stared out the window for what must have been 10 minutes because the person I sit next to, also my next door neighbor, Emily sat down next to me, tossing her heavy book bag beside her. She always comes on the bus late.
“Oh my god, I heard you broke up with Dillon today.” Emily said, looking at me to see if it was true. She already knew that it was. I could tell by the way she only sat like that for a second before she rambled on.
“You should have seen him!” Emily declared “He was almost crying his lip was pouting. You know like how it does when you’re trying not to cry. And he kept saying this same sentence over and over again. “She said she loved me but I know she didn’t mean it.” I felt so bad for him but I was happy that you got to him first. He was going to break up with you, you know. I mean he’s my friend but so are you and I rather it be him then you that got hurt.”
“He cried for me?” I asked still feeling upset.
“No, but he was close. He had said yesterday that he was going to break up with you but he couldn’t do it. So I guess he was going to do it today but you got to it first because I went up to him during lunch and asked him he broke up with you yet and he said something like not quite I asked him what he meant and he said she got to me first.”
“He was going to break up with me?” I asked a little late
“Yeah but I never thought he was going to be able to do it.” Emily said and then she turned around and started talking to her friend in another seat. The rest of the day isn’t that clear to me anymore but I remember going home, eating and finally going to sleep.
I woke up the next day and forgot all the past events. They flooded me at once. I knew what I had to do. I had to ask him out again. It would be embarrassing and terrible and would be hard to explain but I had to do it. For me, for Dillon, for my happiness I had to do it. I first confront Aggie with my plans.
“Good luck” Aggie said. All During second period I worked on writing my getting-back-together note. In it I said sorry about a dozen times and asked him out to the sock hop, our school dance, which was in two weeks. Again I handed the note to Jake and he tried to rip it open because I had seal it shut with a staple…. or a few of those pesky little staples. The rest of the day is a blur to me, but I was happy again. I got on the same yellow bus and waited the same way for Emily to come on.
“Dillon wanted me to tell you……”