One Good Reason

Chapter 5

She led me through Vicky's closet into the adjoining room- mine. It was a good size room with a big bay window. There was a queen size bed that fit perfectly into a little nook by the door and the walk-in closet that we walked through was mine too. The walls were a light blue and the dresser and desk were a midnight blue. There was lots of floor space and a little hang out space with a loveseat- very cozy and very me. Almost like... it was made for me or something.
"Wow. This is amazing." I said, soaking it all in. "Darcy, I can't thank you enough for letting me stay here and Jason for offering. Oh, gosh." I pulled both of them into my arms, then Vicky grabbed on the back of me so we had a big group hug going on. Then I felt another pair of arms come around us. When we backed away, there was a fifth person to our group. A gorgeous girl- and when I say gorgeous, I mean I thought I was pretty, but wow...
"Ello. My name is Susanne Webster. My father discovered the dictionary. Who are you and why are we all hugging?" The girl said with a British accent. She had long blond hair cascading down her back in long ringlets and those dark blue eyes that you seem to either drown in or lose your soul in. She had a flawless face with the clearest complexion I had ever seen. And nice conservative pearl earrings with minimum makeup and a nice knee-length pale pink pencil skirt with an off-white tank-top with the matching pale pink blazer. Very much like I pictured Susie, right down to the pale pink one-inch heels.
"Wow." I said.
"That's usually the response she gets," Vicky said, "which just adds to her ego, making it very large."
"Vix, don't judge me. Just because I'm a nice girl doesn't mean I have a big head." Susie said.
"This is Bella, Susie," Darcy joined the conversation, "She is going to stay with us from now on." Then she turned to me. "Don't be intimidated by her Hello. My name is... speech. She does it with everyone she meets, which is kind of scary and very off-putting, but that's our Susie."
"Darcy, darling, I am not an unpleasant person. Really, I'm not. Everyone just seems to think so. Bella, I'll let you in on a little secret of mine. Darcy's a bitch." Susie said.
"Oh. Can I call you Susie? And I love your accent by the way. Although Vicky's right- you do have a very big ego." I said, rambling.
"Who's Vicky?" Susie asked. Then she turned and stared at Vicky. "Oh my Gawd. Vix is now Vicky? Who would've guessed? So what? Did you know her? That is absolutely priceless. I totally wish I was there. Oh my Gawd."
"Cram it where the sun don't shine princess." Vicky said. Jason laughed.
"Alright, I'm going to go make dinner." Darcy said, then on her way to the door, she stopped and turned. "Oh, wait, it's Jason's turn. Thursday honeypie."
"Awww, fishsticks." Jason said. I couldn't help it, I laughed.

Having dinner with five other teenagers you just met is actually a blast. Jason made some really yummy lasagna with garlic bread- best stuff I've had in ages- and we just sat there for literally two hours talking and stuffing our face. So far, I had learned this:
Darcy Pearson: Age 17. Five foot three. Hooked up with Brian Keller- her boyfriend of two years when she was fifteen and got pregnant with Lucas. Brian took off. Grew up traveling the world- "army brat." Mother died when she was twelve and is currently attending City of the Arts and working at the coffee shop on the corner. Doesn't really get along with Dad, but he feels guilty about her mom so he gives her everything she wants.
Lucas Pearson: Age 1 and a half. Loves to chew things. Stays with Susie while she works- they have alternative shifts.
Susanne Radcliffe: Age 16. Five foot eight without heels. Goes out with Cole Michaels- almost one year. Grew up in Conneticut by the shore. Therefore loves beaches and shopping. Comes from money. She forged her trust fund so she has all the money she needs. Grandfather was a mayor or something and she was sick of her parents. Goes to City of the Arts- how she met Darcy and works at the coffee shop with Darce, Robbie, and Jason.
Robbie Blank: Age 18. Five foot ten. Was engaged to Tina Tratt and had twins with her- Kelly and Michael. Tina died at birth. Grew up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Parents were abusive- ran away. Done school- works at the same coffee shop. Very sad.
Jason Long: Age 17. Six foot two. Gay- obviously. Just got out of a relationship with Dante. Grew up in Outer Banks, North Carolina. Parents don't approve of his sexuality so they kicked him out when he was fifteen- he found Darcy and the rest goes... First one to enter the Camp. Out of school- finished in North Carolina- REALLY smart. Works at the Coffee shop (and said he could get me a job!)
Vicky: Age 16. Five foot six. Pretty much the same except for the whole aunt thing. Applied for the City of the Arts and got in- met Susie who offered her a place. Now they get along, but tease each other to no end.
"Wow. I can't thank you guys enough for letting me stay here." I said.
"It's alright. I'm just happy you are not a killer and it helps that Vix- Vicky- knows you, so..." Darcy said. "But what's your story? What brings you to the Big Apple?"
"Umm..." I stuttered. "I don't really know how to start."
"'Start with the end.'" Susie said. When they turned to stare at her, she blushed. "What, I read it in one of my magazines- some man said it like forty years ago or somethang."
"Well... I don't want you guys to flip out, so... I had a best friend, Jacob. Umm... it turned out he liked me as more than just a friend..." I told the story up to the part where I found out I was pregnant. "And then I found out I was... pregnant... with his baby. My mom found out and told me to get rid of it and I didn't want to, so I ran away. I was going to stay with one of my friends in Baltimore-"
"Melinda?" Vicky interuppted.
"Yeah. But then Jason offered me a place. And I jumped at it because my mom can't find me." I finished.
"So you're pregnant?" Robbie asked.
"Yeah. I was in the hospital for a sprained ankle and they had to X-ray and they asked if there was any way I could be pregnant and that's when I found out."
"Have you been to a doctor?" Darcy asked. She didn't seem upset at all. Maybe because she had had a baby? I don't know.
"No. I hopped on a bus and rolled." I said.
"What happened to Jacob? Does he know?" Susie asked with interest.
"Umm... he does know and he was really happy and then all of a sudden, he..." I started to tear up. "Left."
"Oh, Bella." Darcy said. She walked over to where I was sitting and gave me a big hug. "I know how you feel. It'll be okay. We're your family now."
"Thank you so much." I said. An hour or so later, Susie announced bedtime. "We have a bedtime?"
"Darcy and I do. We have to be up at six. Her to work- me to watch Luke. You too if you want to come in and apply for a job." She answered.
"Oh. Okay then. 'Night guys." I said to Robbie, Jason, and Vicky who were playing Guitar Hero III on the wii.
"'Night Bella." They said in unison. "'Night Susie. 'Night Darce."
"'Night everyone." Darcy and Susie said.
As I walked into "my room", my cell phone rang. I checked the caller ID and it was Olive.
"Hello?" I said warily.
"Where the hell are you?" She asked.
"Umm..."
"Don't you umm me, Annabella."
"New York City." I whispered.
"WHAT?!?! You did not just say New York City."
"Umm... yeah."
"What the hell? Explain." she said with her angry tone.
"Well, when I found out I was pregnant-"
"WHAT!!!! You're pregnant?" She flipped.
"Umm... yeah."
"Wow. Give me a sec." I waited patiently while she breathed deeply. Then she said, "Go on."
"Well, I found out I was pregnant and it was Jacob's-"
"It's Jacobs?"
"Yeah. Now shut up if you want to hear the story..." So I repeated the story again, adding a little more detail since I'd known her since like third grade.
"Wow." she said.

The next week, Darcy got me into her school. It really wasn't hard because you know how I said that her dad felt bad about her mom? Well, he pretty much gives her anything she wants and since she wanted me to go to City of the Arts, I went. All I had to do was sit in on a meeting and describe my transfer. Why I was here, where I was living, etc. Pretty simple.
School was weird, but in a good way.

Five & a half years later

"Go, Vi, go!" I yelled, clapping my hands. "That's my girl!"
"Is she yours?" A woman sitting next to me asked. Without taking my eyes off the playground, I nodded. Only then did I glance at the older woman. I did a double- take.
"Genevieve?" I asked, bewildered. The woman hasn't changed much, I mused. Older, rounder maybe, more wistful.
"Yup." She answered. "You know, in all my years of nursing, I never forgot a face. I forgot names and ages and stories, but never a face. Until you, Ms. Alyson Frank. What a load of bullshit! I remembered you, your 'fiance', and your two friends. Faces, names, ages, and story. I don't suppose you and Jake ever got married."
"No. Genevieve, you must understand why we lied to you. I didn't do it because I didn't like you. In fact, I did like you, do like you I mean. And-"
"Shush. It's in the past. Now tell me about you and your fam-" She was cut off when eight bodies rushed at us.
"Mom! MOM! Can I get an ice cream cone?" Wyatt asked, his dark brown eyes falling into his eyes. He had his father's face, I thought.
"Me, too Mom!" Roxanne whined.
"Please Aunt Bella?" Kelly asked.
"Please?" Michael, Kelly's twin brother, pleaded.
"With cherries and whipped cream?" Victoria asked.
"Mom!" Violet begged.
"Aunt Bella?" Melanie asked quietly.
"Please?" Lucas asked. This was all at once.
"Whoa!" I yelled. Then I chuckled to myself. "Sure. Luke, since you're the oldest, I'll give you the money. Here."
"Thank you!" A chorus of voices yelled.
"Stay together," I said, watching as they ran to the little ice cream shack across the park.
"How many do you have?" Genevieve asked, shocked.
"I have three." I said. "Roxanne Genevieve, Violet Claire, and Wyatt Christopher. Triplets. Five years old and all mine. The others are my friends kids."
"Oh. How'd you picked their names?"
"Well Wyatt was easy. His name is his father's middle name and I love the name Christopher. Violet was my grandmother's middle name and Claire was her father's mothers name. Then I adore the name Roxanne and her middle name was the name of someone very special who helped me when I needed it."
"You are a doll." Genevieve said, "By the way, what is your name?"
"Oh, ha, Annabella Ford." I said.
"Nice to meet you Annabella. That's a lovely name."
"I like it."
"And if they're five, then you must be twenty-three."
"No," I said, forgetting that I lied about my age too, "Twenty-one."
"Really? Wow. And with triplets? Amazing. So who were the other kids?" She asked.
"Umm... I share a house with my five friends, Darcy, Robbie, Susie, Vicky, and Jason. Darcy has a seven-year-old son, Lucas, Luke for short. He was the tall brown haired kid. His dad took off when Darcy told him she was pregnant. Robbie has six-year-old twins, Mike and Kelly. Their mom died giving birth, but... They were the blond twins with green eyes. The other blond twins were Susie's. Tori, short for Victoria and Mel, short for Melanie. They have brown eyes and are... four and a half years old. Their dad, Cole, is coming home from the war. Vicky is pregnant and engaged to Evan. They're having a little boy. And then me and my rugrats. Oh and Jason, but he's gay and not having kids any time soon."
"Oh. And if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your children’s father?"
"Jake? He wasn't... I didn't... well..." I stuttered. Just then the munchkins all came screeching to a halt in front of me.
"Mommy?" Roxanne asked, looking at me. Her face, or any of them, never failed to amaze me. Perfect symmetry, wonderfully carved features, and a tan complexion all year long. Roxanne's dark brunette hair fell to her butt in a long braid I did that morning. They were all wearing lime green t-shirts so I could tell where they were at all times.
"Yes, sweetie?" I answered, pulling her onto my lap.
"Can we go home soon? I forgot to feed Bubbles and it was my turn." She responded. Bubbles was the family parrot and all the kids took turns feeding him. The other kids had started a game of Duck Duck Goose, but I knew they were all ansy to get home.
"Yes. First though, I want you, Wyatt, and Vi to meet Genevieve Martin. You've met before but only when you were in my belly. And Roxi, you were named after her." I said. Wyatt and Violet had come over when they heard their names.
"Hello children." Genevieve asked them.
"Hello, how are you?" Wyatt asked, always my mannered one.
"Good, thank you. And you?" she replied.
"Great." Wyatt said with a grin.
"Do you like kids? I can't believe I'm named after you. I knew Wyatt and Roxi were named after people, but... wow." Roxi butted in.
"Rox, Roxi! Stop, honey! Slow down!" I said as nicely as I could. "Genevieve doesn't want to hear you get started."
"Oh, no. I don't mind at all. She's precious." Genevieve commented.
Just then Violet spoke up. "I don't know my daddy. I know what he looked like six years ago, but that's it. So, how did you meet my mommy?"
"Well, she hurt herself one day on a bus and your daddy and her two friends-" Genevieve started.
"Wait. Aunt Vicky and Uncle Jason were there?" Roxi asked.
"No." Genevieve looked at me, confused.
"It was mommy's other friends," I said carefully. They'd only met Sophia and Olive twice. "Aunt Sophia and Aunt Olive."
"Okay." Wyatt said.
"Anyway," Genevieve said, "They brought her to the hospital and when she came back two weeks later she was pregnant. With you three adorable munchkins." Because the situation called for it, Genevieve reached down and ruffled Wyatt's hair.
"That was the scariest and greatest day of my life. Your father helped me through it all until... But now it's just me, you, and our family." I said lovingly.
"Mommy, I wanna go!" Roxi whined.
"Me, too." Kelly said, picking up on the conversation.
"Alright guys." I said, then turning to Genevieve, I reached into my purse for a post-it note and pen. "Here's my phone number and address. Drop by if you can. It was wonderful seeing you again."
"Yes. Just wonderful. See you around. Oh, and Annabella?"
"Yes?" I asked as I stood up and motioned for the kids.
"If you ever need anything, just let me know." Genevieve said.
"Thank you," I said, touched, "thank you for everything." I took Vi and Roxi's hands and had everyone else hold each other’s hands as we crossed the street and started towards home.
"Mommy?" Wyatt asked. He was the second on my left.
"Yeah, sweetie?" I answered.
"When does Kindergarten start?" he asked, an excited look on his face.
"Two weeks," I said.
"Who's our teacher?" Vi asked.
"Mrs. Gregory and Mr. Smith." I answered. I had, of course, immediately thought of Jacob when I read the teachers sheet, but he's only twenty-one, he can't teach. Can he?

"So, how was your first day? Oh my gosh, you guys are so big! Oh!" I hugged Roxi first, then Wyatt and Vi in turn.
"It was ah-mazing!" Roxi squealed, "Mr. Smith gave me a funny look when I walked in but he is sooo funny and nice. Mrs. Gregory reminds me of your description of Grandmother. But we did puzzles and I made a best friend and there is so much to do. Paint, draw, read, play... learn even. And Jeff? He is a total hunk! Yummy!"
"Roxi! No boys are allowed to be yummy yet. Eighth grade and then we'll talk." I said.
"I like someone too." Wyatt said quietly. "She's really pretty. Her name is Cassandra. Cassie for short."
"I like Tyler." Vi added, trying to get into the conversation.
"Hey, hey! Stop it! None of that!" I scolded playfully with a smile on my face.
"Crushes?" A deep baritone said from behind me. We were standing on the sidewalk in front of our house, with me crouched down, and as soon as I heard that voice, I got butterflies. The smile slipped off my face and I slowly got up.
"Mr. Smith?" Vi asked.
"Mr. Smith!" Roxi ran past me and I turned in time to see Jacob pick her up and swing her around.
"Mr. Smith, huh?" I asked. I had expected to feel sad, betrayed, regretful even, but I hadn't expected anger. The temper swirled in me until my vision went blurry. "Kids, go inside. I'm going to talk to... Mr. Smith for a minute."
"I need a key," Wyatt said. I handed it to him and watched as all three went up the stairs. Then I whirled on Jacob.
"What the hell are you doing here?"
"I missed you and I wanted to see them." Jake said, putting his wistful rainbow eyes on me.
"I fell for that once and as the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, shame on me. Go to hell Jake. Why bother six years later? You had your chance, now you can go to hell."
"Bells, stop. Give me a minute."
"Fine. One minute." I planted my hands on my hips and glared at him. "Fifty seconds."
"When your mom found out you were pregnant and they were mine, she offered me twenty grand to leave. I loved you so much so I said no. Then she threatened me. First it was to kill me then to put social services on me. As they say- third times the charm. Your mother said to me 'Jacob, leave now and I will not pull the plug on your father.' Bells, that killed me. You both meant so much to me, but I'd promised my mom I'd take care of him. I knew you'd be safe and my dad would be safe, even if I did die inside." He said on a rush of breath, then he took my hands. "Not a day, hour, hell- second goes by without your face in my mind. I knew you'd come to New York through Olive. I always liked that girl, but anyway, when I did the math, I figured the kids were going into Kindergarten so I got a job." He looked, pierced, me with his eye. I couldn't move, couldn't say anything even if I wanted to. "When I saw Roxanne skip into class this morning, I fell in love all over again. With her and Violet and Wyatt. And you. I can't leave now. Don't you see? We were meant to be together and I'm not an idiot anymore. Annabella, I love you, don't turn away from me. Please."
I still couldn't move, couldn't say anything. I just buried my face in his chest and cried. His hands let go of mine to encircle my waist. He laid his head on mine as I hugged him tight. Then as quickly as we embraced, I broke it.
"Jake, I can't do this. This emotions stuff. I'm happy. I'm settled. I have my family, my friends, a job." I looked him in the eye. "Just cut your losses and let me go."
"What? You're kidding me, right? I came all the way here hoping you'd see my side, forgive me, and let us start over. But you're saying you can't do that?" He said. He turned and started pacing. "My dad died three weeks ago. I had just spoken to your mother. I said to her, 'Hilary, I love your daughter. She's my everything. All this time I've spent following what you want, but I need her. I need our kids.' I was crying Bells. Every night. When your mom wouldn't tell me where you went, I called Olive. She told me, but as soon as I hung up with her, the hospital called and told me that someone had snuck into my father's room and pulled his oxygen tube. Who do you think it was Bells? The angel of death. He had lasted six years longer than he was supposed to and then poof. Gone."
"If you're suggesting my mother, my MOTHER, purposely killed someone because things weren't going her way... Oh my God Jake. I'm so sorry." I fell down, shocked. Even if it was the husband of her dead best friend, I couldn't believe the woman who raised me would do such a thing. I sat there on the sidewalk with Jacob crouched down next to me until I heard Jason's voice.
"Bella? Oh, my God. Are you okay?" He shoved Jacob out of the way and pulled me up, checking me to make sure I wasn't hurt.
"Jason, I'm fine. Just a little shocked." I said, pulling myself together. There's no way she would have done such a thing.
"Who are you?" Jason asked Jacob icily.
"Umm... Jason, this is Jacob Sm-"
"THIS is Jacob?" Jason let out a short laugh. "Oh, boy." He took my arm gently. "Come on, Bella, before I call the police."
"Whoa, who the hell do you think you are?" Jacob yelled. Just then I noticed Wyatt out of the corner of my eye.
"Mommy, why are you all yelling?"
"Umm... honey," I started, unsure where to start, "go back inside for a little while please."
"Mommy, are you okay?"
"Yeah, bud. Go watch Spongebob for a while and tell Vi to get ready for ballet."
"Kay." he scurried back inside.
"My name is Jason Long and you should be arrested." Jason said, more calmly, to Jacob.
"Oh yeah?" Jacob shot back, "On what charge?"
"Well not only could you be charged with reckless abandonment, but you hurt Bella and that's enough for me." Jason said.
"Who exactly are you?" Jacob asked, shocked.
"A friend," I said, butting in. "Jacob, I've moved on. I have my kids, my friends, my friends kids, a job, a house. I don't need you and whether you believe me or not, you don't need me." I turned and walked into the three story townhouse. I walked away from my past and toward my future. As I walked, Jacob yelled one final statement and then I shut everything out.
"I will have you again!"

As I sat down that night after explaining to the kids what had happened, I realized something. That our lives are intwined with everyone elses. Each life is an intricate pattern, but you rely off of others to finish your story. So no matter how much I love or hate Jacob Smith, I can never really be rid of him. My kids are his kids, my heart is his heart, and part of my life will always be part of his life. As Shakespeare once said, "All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts..."
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't think I looovveee the ending...