Meant for You

Marshmallows

Bre walked out of Forks high on Friday with a smile on her face. It was her favorite time of the week, which was the beginning of the weekend. She climbed inside her brother's truck and waited for him. He was usually a bit slow on Friday's for some reason. She pulled her phone out from her pocket and turned it on. She hadn't checked her text messages since lunch. She smiled when she saw one from Paul.

'Call Me' It said.

She sighed, as she pressed number two on her speed dial which was Paul's number. She waited for a few minutes, and then his voice filled the air.

"What is it?"
"Did you hear about Emily Young?"
"What happened?"
"A bear! It nearly ripped her entire face off."
"What? A bear?" Bre ask, shocked.

She had never heard of a bear attacking a human around here. Sure, it was possible. . . but who traveled in the woods, and got close enough for a bear to actually attack them.

"Yeah! She just came back to the res a couple of hours ago. . . She's gonna be pretty scarred up."
"Where did the bear attack?"
"Not sure, but I just wanted to tell you so you know to stay out of the forest."
"I hardly go in the forest." Bre said.

Paul sighed, "I know. . . but I just wanted you safe Bre."

She smiled, "Thanks P." She said.
"How's school?"
"Good now that the weekend is here."

He laughed, "You'll be outta there in a couple of years."
"Not soon enough."
"Come over to the res tonight. I think a couple of us are roasting marshmallows by the beach."
"I thought the bonfire wasn't until tomorrow night?" Bre ask.
"It's not. . . Just a few of us are going to be there tonight."
"Okay, I'll try to get a ride up."
"If you can't. . . just text me. I'll come pick you up. Invite Cole too."
"Alright, P. Talk to you soon."

Bre hung up the phone just as Cole climbed in the driver's seat, "Bout time." She giggled.
"Sorry. . . Jessica Stanley stopped me in the hallway and told me about Mike Newton's party tomorrow night."
"You going?" Bre ask.
"Hell no, I don't even like Mike Newton-- why would I go?"

She laughed, "I don't know-- Oh, P called." She said, "He said that they were having a marshmallow roast on the Res tonight."
"Sweet. We're going." Cole said.

She nodded her head as her brother started the vehicle. She didn't mind going to the reservation. She loved it there-- especially when she got to see Jacob. She frowned, when she thought about him. She really liked him a lot, but knew she shouldn't. He only had eyes for Bella. But Bre couldn't make herself feel differently about him. Every time she saw him, her stomach roared with butterflies.

Bre and Cole spent some time with their mom before they took off to the reservation. They arrived and she smiled when she saw a couple of people already sitting by the fire. She climbed out of the truck, and began walking towards the fire. She could see Paul sitting on a log catching with Jared as she got closer. Paul grinned, as he walked over and pulled her into a sideways hug.

"Glad you could make it." He said.
"Me too. Where is everyone else?"
"Embry and Quil are on their way. . . Sam isn't coming cause of Emily, Leah may show up. . . and Jacob is working at your dad's." Paul explained.

Her heart dropped to the pits of her stomach when she realized Jacob probably wouldn't make an appearance tonight. He had attended school all day, and then after school worked in the garage. He was probably too tired to show up for a gathering.

"There's Leah now." Cole pointed out.

Bre studied Leah as she walked towards them. She could tell something big had happened. She carried herself differently now. Instead of a half smile that was usually placed upon her lips, there was now a evil grin. Her eyes wasn't nearly as bright as they once were, and her clothes were different. She was now dressed in a plain black t-shirt, and a pair of ball shorts. Her hair looked as if she hadn't washed it in several days. She approached the fire, and took a seat on a log without saying a word. Bre wondered if she should go over there and say something.

"It's going to take awhile for her to get over him." Paul whispered in Bre's ear.

Bre turned to face him and just nodded her head lightly. She knew how much Leah loved Sam. She had once told Bre about how she hoped to one day marry him and have his children, now it looked as if that was just a dream.

"Let's get this started!" Jared said, sinking his teeth into the plastic bag of marshmallows.

Embry and Quil joined after a few minutes, picking up sticks of their own and placing it into the fire.

"How have you been, Bre?" Quil ask.
"Pretty good."
"Learn any new skate tricks?" Embry ask.

She giggled, "If you count falling on my ass-- I've mastered that one."

The guys all laughed. She always found it easy to be herself when she hung out with the La Push residents. They was friendly, and she could relate to them.

Running her fingers through her hair, she decided to go over and sit on the log beside Leah. She couldn't stand the frown on her face any longer, she wanted to turn it into a smile.

"Hey Lee." She said.
"Hi Bre." Leah spoke softly, but it was still in a harsh tone.

Bre bit down on her bottom lip. She didn't want to ask "How are you?"-- She knew she was miserable.

"Enjoying the marshmallows?" Bre ask.

Leah looked towards her, and sighed loudly. "I don't care, Bre. You don't have to cheer me up."
"I just hate seeing you sad." Bre whispered.
"I know." Leah said softly, without the harsh tone this time, "But. . . it's going to take awhile." She said.

Bre nodded her head, "I understand."
"No you don't. Not until you love someone as much as I loved Sam. Then when you have them ripped away from you. . . then you'll understand." Leah said bitterly.

Bre didn't say a word. She knew her friend was sulking right now. She just sit there silent and watched the flames. Embry and Quil was goofing off, while Jared, Cole, and Paul was in deep conversation. This wasn't quite the night she had thought it would be.

"What are you ladies doing?" Ask a voice from behind her.

She turned around and smiled seeing Jacob standing there in a oil stained t-shirt and a pair of jean shorts that ended just below his knees. Maybe, it would be a good night after all.