Do You Dare Me Jasper Hale?

Chapter 6.

Waking up to the familiar soft sheets around her aching body Grace peeled her eyes open. A flash of sunlight greeted her eyes as she shut them quickly, desperately moving towards the cool shade of the wall next to the window.

“You have to face it sometime you know” A cool voice whispered from the corner.

Grace didn’t jump or echo a surprise at the voice; she only curled more to wall and let her eyes show her sleepy dreams. She didn’t want to remember last night, the deafening noises, the heavy thick cloud of smoke in the house, or the blur that she was when she went in to her own world.

“Why didn’t you leave me?” Grace croaked, the duvet ruffled slightly as she turned to him.

Grace could see Jasper’s eyes, the tightly controlled honey eyes that narrowed at her questioningly. Jasper sat in the corner of the room, his white pale hands folded neatly on his lap as he took time to answer Grace’s small question.

“Is that what you would have preferred?” It was not a challenging answer that Jasper gave Grace, only a polite tone he spoke in as he tilted his head to the side.

Jasper could feel the reluctance that Grace felt to answer his question now. Grace casted her tired eyes away from him, her head rolled up to the ceiling as her mind swirled thoughts together quickly.

“No...yes? I’m not sure, how do I know you won’t disappear now you’ve saved a falling me. Like you’ve done your deed for the day, so everything is ok now with Grace, in fact she now owes you a favour in return” Frustration and anger began to give Grace a headache, as Jasper now leaned forward in the wooden chair.

“Is this what you think of me now? Have you no faith in me Grace? I mean of course it is understandable, yet you think I’m doing this out of pity or because I’m board? You do not know me then, like you used to” Jaspers eyes melted in to hers when Grace’s eyes slid to his, he attempted to calm her gently, but he could see her eyebrows knit together even more.

Grace didn’t bother to answer him back, in fact she let his antidote of calm wash over quickly. She swallowed and began to move out of her bed, the cold wooden floor shocking her feet to move. The dimming sunlight told her it was late afternoon as the clouds began to thicken in to darker blues, Grace moved slowly to the bathroom, ignoring the cautious gaze that followed her.

“I think I know you well enough Jasper, don’t you?” Grace whispered as she slowly opened the wooden door that creaked in return and shut it gently behind her.

The harsh glow of the bathroom light greeted her arrival, looking in the mirror Grace could almost see her mother standing behind her.

Almost.

“What are you smiling at?” Her mother asked as she stood behind her, gently brushing her
daughter’s hair, smiling at her reflection in the mirror.

“Nothing” Grace would say as she rolled her eyes and closed them. Her mother’s cool fingers brushing her face as she plaited Grace’s hair, the house was silent as they both enjoyed each other’s company, only hearing the quiet thrum of the cars outside and the distant chatter of the neighbours over lawnmowers and sprinklers.

“There all done, now you all you need is a smile. There’s no one like you Grace, but if you carry a smile with you, everyone will always know you” Grace smiled as her mother hugged her in the mirror, kissed her pink cheeks, and left the bathroom.


Her eyes closed at the touch of cool hands almost touching her face. Grace felt a brush glide over her hair, stopping every now and again to detangle and tame the knotty snarls in her rich chestnut hair. The hands sweeping across her neck as she felt her hair being lifted up and air flowed to her neck, a twist and the sound of a hair band soon brought it all to a halting end.

“That hasn’t changed”

It wasn’t the voice that caused her eyes to blink open, and it wasn’t the reflection in the mirror that brought tears to her eyes. Grace meet her eyes with the ones waiting in the mirror, feeling too young again, to vulnerable, like it was a video that had been rewinded and played again.

Yet her brain felt alive again, a shock in her system caused a warming feeling to shoot through her like it had been injected. Grace began to utter to Jasper to stop with her feelings, but seeing a small smile placed on that sculpted face.

Grace knew it was her own feelings, and not Jaspers.

“It’s nice to be home”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, again.