Status: In Progress.

Playing The Hot Corner

Like a Kid at the Waterpark

The Idiot Kings – Soul Coughing

“Jesse,” Joe said in the dugout the next day, as if realizing something. “Where are you living?”

“Oh, I’m just living with my parents until I can find a decent place in town.” I stared out at the field as Michael batted, taking a ball.

“Seriously?” Joe groaned. “Nuh uh, Jesse. I’ll be right back.” He went down to the end of the bench where Justin was standing. I watched them chat for a second, then Joe came and sat back down next to me.

“You’re coming to live with us, okay? Me and Justin.”

“Joe, you don’t need to do that.”

“What’s a Major League Baseball player doing living with his parents?” Joe said, using ‘his’ because there was to telling who was listening in. “Besides, I owe it to you after the crap I pulled while you were at school.”

“Do you even have room?”

“Yeah, we have three bedrooms. One’s just empty. Justin agreed, he said it would be great to have you around. Please, Jesse?”

“Joe, you really think I would say no to that? You know better.” I smiled, and laughed when the cute grin I knew so well crossed Joe’s face.

“So…what is Charlie going to think when he hears you’re living with me and Justin?”

To be honest, I had totally forgotten about Charlie. I mean, I talked to him yesterday after the game, but only for a few minutes. I really didn’t know what was going to become of him and me now that I was playing again and being busier than I ever had before. The same thing was happening to my most serious relationship that had before – I was getting too busy for men. It was starting to get me frustrated.

“I don’t know. He shouldn’t mind. If he does, he might just have to deal.” I tried playing it cool, but now this whole thing was bugging me. I didn’t even know if Charlie was willing to keep up a relationship when I was gone all the time and all he could see of me was on TV.

Joe apparently heard something in my voice, because he dropped the subject. “We’ll move your stuff in after this series.”

“So when we go away for a series, what’s the deal with rooms and stuff?”

“Sometimes we share,” he said, pausing to take a sip of his Gatorade (always purple – always). “Usually not, though.” He looked at me and, seeing the look on my face, laughed a little. “Don’t worry. I can have you stay with either me or Justin.”

“Good. Another arrangement would be kind of awkward, I think.”

“I agree.”

There was a thwock as Michael connected the bat to the ball and we watched it hit the gap between right and center.

“You’re on deck, Joe.”

“Yup. Here goes nothing.”

Justin suddenly slid down the bench, running into me a little.

“So, what did you say?”

“I guess you have a new roommate,” I laughed. Justin looked like a little kid waiting to hear if he was going to the waterpark or not.

“Good! I was waiting for Joe to ask you since you showed up!”

“Oh my God, go get ready to bat,” I groaned, shoving him as Denard Span came back into the dugout and Joe stepped into the box. “You’re on deck, dork.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I haven't updated this because the only internet I've been able to have is my iPod Touch, and I can't update files that I have on my computer from there. So I'm putting this chapter and the next one up tonight when I actually have a computer, and then there may not be updates again fora bit :( but I haven't been actually trying to ignore you guys, I promise.