Status: In Progress.

Playing The Hot Corner

Convincing Themselves

Perfect Situation - Weezer

Kevin and Justin pressed their ears to the door of the apartment where Joe, Jess, and Justin lived, trying to listen to the conversation they almost had to force Joe and Jess to have. Since the second day in Chicago, the two had tried to be less awkward. It didn’t work in the slightest. Kevin had received looks from Joe the rest of the series, being that Jess had stayed with him instead. Justin tried to mediate everything, including rebuffing their teammates, but things were starting to fall apart.

“I heard the word friends,” Justin mumbled. “Please don’t tell me I heard that.”

Kevin just tried to focus on the conversation. He had heard it too, and it wasn’t his favorite thing to hear either, but he just wanted the whole ‘Joe& Jess’ thing back. He wanted the drama to be over.

“I mean it. ‘Friends’ is a bad thing. Hell, they should practically be married by now.”

“Take it easy, Justin. They’re not done yet.”

Justin huffed and stared pacing the hallway.

“That’s not taking it easy.”

“Oh well. Just listen.”

Kevin pressed his ear against the door again and tried to listen, but there wasn’t anything coming from the other side. He waited patiently for the silence to end.

“I mean it, Joe,” Kevin heard Jess say. “Awkward is done.”

“Good,” Joe replied. “I hated awkward.”

“Sounds like they’re about done,” Kevin said, stepping away from the door. “They probably know we’re here, so I expect -”

He was interrupted by the door opening and Joe coming out into the hallway.

“So?” Justin asked.

“I told her I couldn’t live without her and that I didn’t mean to take it that far.”

“You what?” Justin asked a little incredulously.

“She’s my best friend, Justin, and it’s staying that way.”

“What?” Justin exclaimed. “You don’t see that you’re meant to be together? Neither of you?”

“Look, Justin, this is how it’s going to be. Okay?” Joe went inside, letting the door fall shut behind him.

“He’s just trying to convince himself,” Kevin said quietly. “It’s not what he wants, and it’s not what she wants, I know that much. They just managed to convince themselves otherwise.”
Justin shook his head, staring at the door. “I don’t believe it.”

“Me neither,” Kevin said, and having no choice but to accept the loss, mumbled, “I’ll see you at the airport tomorrow, okay?”

“Yeah, see you later.”

~

Yeah, we’re staying friends. I heard Joe telling Justin outside the apartment, and I heard Justin’s loud reply. No matter what Justin said, Joe was going to be my best friend for life. I knew I wanted more, but he didn’t. It felt so good to have him back, but there was still that tine corner of my heart that he didn’t fill like I wanted him to.

The door to the apartment opened again and Joe and Justin came back in. Kevin, on his way to pitching practice when he brought me here and stood me in front of Joe, gave me a little wave and headed off down the hallway. I barely got the chance to wave back before Justin grabbed my hand and dragged me into my room, shutting the door behind us.

“What?” he said for the third time in as many minutes.

“Justin -”

“Jess, I know neither of you want to be just friends. Why didn’t you guys say something to each other that wasn’t a lie?”

“Justin, it’s not going to happen like that. We’re best friends, and it’s going to stay like that.”

Justin rolled his eyes. Joe probably said something to that same effect.

“There’s a line that can’t be crossed. We crossed it, and apparently it didn’t work.”

“It only looked like Joe wasn’t -”

“Jess, d’you mind if I throw your clothes from the washer to the dryer?” Joe interrupted through the door.

“No, go for it,” I answered. A second passed, and I suddenly realized something. “Shit, my underwear and bras. Joe, wait!” I cried, splitting for the door. Justin let me go. Normally, he’d be laughing his ass off, but not this time. I heard him grumbling behind me, and when I glanced back, he was slamming his own room’s door behind him. I focused on my next task – intercepting Joe before he encountered a washing machine full of my undergarments and packing for Oakland.
♠ ♠ ♠
kind of a sucky chapter, but the next one will rock your face off, I promise.
Comments would be cool n such :)