Only Time Will Tell For Her

12:30

"Dad, I'm so sorry I haven't called you...I've just been so busy; Archie's finally been accepted to that ridiculous school, so he'll be gone anyday now."

A faint chuckle was heard from the receiver, "Thank god! I've always hated that kid, grea to be getting rid of him."

"Daddy! How could you say that? Archie's been my friend for, like, ten years."

"How could I not say that?"

"Dude, whatever, look...mom's like just gone into labor or something...this is going to suck; I hate babies."

Billie Joe smiled, only remembering that Beatrice couldn't see his face, "Go on vacation or something."

Beatrice raised her eyebrows, "Great advice Dad, too bad Mom'll never let me. She'll probably come and hunt me down at the airport before I can board the plane."

"Yeah, you're right...that does sound like something she would do." Billie Joe sighed to himself; Adrienne was finally gone for good, though he honestly couldn't tell himself that he was happy. He had loved her with all his heart for about fifteen years, only to find those feelings were unrequited.

"Well, look, I'm going to go, maybe I'll have a look online and see how much a ticket to Tahiti is? If I go though, you're coming with me."

"Ew no, not Tahiti."

"I pick father, I pick." Beatrice gently set the phone down onto the black receiver. For the first time since she had come home, she noticed the red flashing that indicated a voice message. Naturally, she reached down and depressed the button. The tape began to play

Bea, this Saturday, 12:30 pm, come by the shop, someone wants to see you, dunno who. See ya then.

Beatrice recognized the voice almost instantaneously to be that of Merlow, the owner of the shop about twenty miles from town. She smiled, and nodded, not realizing she was nodding at a slab of flashing black plastic.

***

Early Saturday morning, Beatrice awoke with an uneasy feeling in her stomach. She brushed it of as though it were nothing, and rolled back to sleep.

***

Later that morning, around nearly elevn o'clock, she got into her old, beaten up red ford. She sighed to herself, wondering when it would be that se would get around to buying, or atleast renting a new car.