Sing Once Again With Me

Sing Once Again With Me - Ch. 17

Ella was shaking Meg's shoulder rather vigorously while squealing and giggling in excitement. "It's here! It's here! The time has finally arrived! This is the day we've all been waiting for! Wake up sleeping beauty!" Meg pretended to cry and tried to push her away, the best a half-asleep person could. Ella finally got her to sit up though and the two left to find Marcus for breakfast.

The three shared a lovely breakfast, as usual and the day continued as any other, but there was an air of excitement. During their time back, Ella and Marcus had worked thrice as hard. It had indeed paid off but they, just as anyone, were still nervous about the eventful night to come.

And it did come very quickly.

Ella stood in front of the full-length mirror with her hair pulled over one shoulder while Madame Giry finished lacing her corset. The face that stared back at her was tight with anxiety; she was practiced and excited yes, but nervous as to be expected. She slipped into her dress and when she turned around Madame Giry put her hands on her shoulders to look her in the eyes with a sincere expression. "You are going to do wonderful my dear. You have rehearsed diligently and you are the most deserving for this role. We know you will do amazing." Not really spoken to be a persuasion or a comfort really, but boldly as a fact she knew to be true.

It did help, but Ella only nodded in response. Soon she had slipped into the beautiful dress and Madame Giry fixed her hair while a different girl applied her make up. All in the blink of an eye though she was walking up to stand on the outer edge of the stage. She could here the muffled sound of so many visitors finding their seats and discussing the grandness of the theatre. Eventually the orchestra began and Ella had found her spot at the center of the stage. And the moment came... the moment that she lived for. Every time it seemed to pass in slow motion. The curtains were drawn back, the spot lights flooded her vision and the music of the orchestra vibrated around her.

The first face she saw was Eric's seated in box five. He was smiling down at her proudly and he winked. Ella couldn't help the small smile that spread across her visage in response and she looked back at the audience while the narrator went through the overture.

"All stories, begin the same
Nothing new under the moon
For when one star extinguishes
Another one must light up
Certainly, the rain and the mistake
The night and the guitares
One can believe it
Each of their words and their looks
All the stories have their history
Do not listen that which one tells you
Love, has that which counts
One will love so strong
And the, softly, with wanting it
One passes from the heart to memory
All the stories, begin the same
Nothing new under the moon
Here is, that of Romeo and Juliette"

~~~Jacques POV.~~~

Jacques had ordered Adrien to galvanize the horses into a full gallop. And the carriage now rushed down the streets at full speed. People cleared out of their path and some shouted curses in their direction. Jacques paid no heed though; he only glared forward in thought and anger.

After some time the carriage unsteadily halted in front of the Opera Populaire and Jacques stepped out. "Shall I accompany you monsieur?" Adrien offered but Jacques said over his shoulder, "No, just keep the carriage there until I return!" And he continued his storm through the front doors.

Once inside he heard the sound of the audience applauding in the auditorium. He saw a servant polishing one of the many golden figures. As he neared the servant looked up and Jacques demanded, "You there could you kindly direct me to where I might find Ms. Durands?" The servant stood up straighter and scratched his head before saying, "Well monsieur I figure she would be in the changing room soon.." He gave him the directions and after a quick nod Jacques started on his way.

~~~Ellas POV.~~~

Ella lay where Juliette had killed herself, and she was completely terrified. The entire audience now watched the rest of the cast as they sang of the death of the two lovers, but one gaze was left watching her. She knew what Eric was thinking... of that night... She knew he had regretted it, she understood he was just confused, but now she was afraid of what he was thinking after this opera had reminded him.

The cast finished the last note and the entire audience gave a standing ovation. Everyone had done absolutely wonderful, putting full effort and emotion into their performance. The curtains closed and everyone lined up. The curtains opened once again and Ella and a friendly man named Warren ran to the center of the stage hand in hand. They bowed with big smiles on their faces and the crowd roared, throwing roses onto the stage. Ella could see tears in their eyes... the opera had been a success.

It took an eternity for her to return to the changing room. While she tried to find Meg, to help her undress from the troublesome corset many people stopped her to congratulate her on the wonderful performance. Ella was very flattered and thanked them for the kind words, but she never found Meg. Eventually she decided she would just manage herself and she began down another long hallway towards the divas room.

Finally she came to the door and silently stepped in. She closed it behind her and turned to light some candles. Suddenly though a hand was held over her mouth and Ella jerked in fear. 'Oh God no...' she thought helplessly and Jacques quietly laughed right behind her. "So... you thought you could stay here? Just have your little friends tell me I can't come back? Well you're coming with me now!" But Ella immediately elbowed him in the stomach as hard as she could. He cursed, bent over in pain but his hand wrapped up in her hair as she tried to run away and he yanked her back. She cried out in pain as she fell to the floor but Jacques hauled her up again.

Then he was harshly yanked back by the collar of his shirt and thrown into the wall. Eric stepped in the space between he and Ella and glared at him. Jacques squinted his eyes, coming out of his little shock he said, "You're the bastard who cut my shoulder!" Ella stopped - Eric had done what? Then he suddenly dove for Eric and they met head on. Eric stumbled backwards but shoved him away and hit him with his balled fist, right in the eye. Jacques regained his stance and took a few swings but Eric dodged all of them, unfortunately taking a small step back each time. Then Jacques made contact, and though it wasn't nearly as strong as his opponent's, Eric's foot had backed up against something on the floor and he lost his balance. He inevitably stumbled into the wall and roughly knocked his head.

Ella ran over to fight Jacques away from him the best she could. But instead of finishing with Eric, he turned to face her. Hate burned in his eyes and he quickly ran for her. Everything after that seemed to be in slow motion. Eric had stood and was about to run to keep Jacques away from her. But Ella unsheathed her dagger by mere reaction and held it in front of her for defense, as the space between them thinned to nothing. The knife pierced deep into his stomach, and he stopped dead in his tracks. Ella stared up at him in complete horror, and he glared back with no less anger than before, but it was now hollow. He glanced down at the knife, then back up at her, and he grabbed her arm as he fell to the ground. Ella was frightened and unknowingly cried out when he dragged her to the floor with him.

Quickly though she edged away, and on her knees she stared at the body. Eric had knelt beside her and was holding her close; he too looked the body over. Eventually he stood and went over to kneel down next to Jacques. He felt his neck for a pulse, and sighed looking back at Ella...
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, since it's Romeo and Juliet, the biggest opera performance of the year I decided to include the dresses.
Image
This is the dress Ella is wearing at the beginning of the opera.

Image
This is the dress Ella was wearing at the end, when Juliet killed herself.