Sing Once Again With Me

Sing Once Again With Me - Ch. 19

It had been two days since Ella had to leave the Opera House, and all the while she had been fine but nonetheless scared. She had received Eric's note, and it calmed her and raised her spirits. She would give anything to have him here close beside her, but she understood that wasn't possible. Now the judge pounded his gavel for silence and the room hushed immediately. Ella was told to describe the event, and Marcus was as well a little while later. After a few hours, the trial was adjourned until the following day.

Ella and Marcus were exiting the courthouse when suddenly an elderly man purposefully held out his arm to block her way. "Well there's the face that disappeared so suddenly." a warm, familiar voice said. Ella looked up to see who it was and smiled happily when she recognized Audric Parsall. She immediately gave him a big hug, "Audric! What in le monde are you doing here!?" He lightly chuckled and returned the hug, "To help you of course. You know you worried me when you disappeared that night so long ago." Ella remembered, "I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do.." He nodded though, "That's alright Miss Ella I know you didn't plan things the way they turned out.." Ella took a step back, which was towards Marcus. She grinned and said, "Marcus I would like to introduce you to Monsieur Audric Parsall. He was the kindest soul to me when I lived at the Comte Temes Mansion. Audric, you remember my older brother Marcus I told you about?" Audric nodded and shook his hand, "A pleasure to finally meet you M. Durands." Marcus smiled and heartily returned the handshake, "The pleasure is all mine Monsieur Parsall. How can I ever repay you for being kind to my little sister in her time of need?" The handshake ended and Audric situated his spectacles while answering, "Oh, what would I be to not show a lady such as Ella kindness?" Ella smiled bashfully and asked, "How do you plan on possibly helping us?" Audric looked back at her, "By testifying for you of course! But before we can get into all of that let's find a place to enjoy a nice lunch shall we?" Luckily, Ella was granted permission to go out to lunch with the two, but later in the day she did have to return to the prison for the night.

~~~The Next Day~~~

The sky was a soft gray, lit only with the faintest glow of morning. Somewhere a rooster crowed, and it wasn't long before a couple of officer's escorted Ella to an automobile parked outside. Waiting next to the automobile was her brother Marcus, and now her old friend Audric. They arrived at the courthouse, and not long after a separate automobile arrived with Madame Giry, Monsieur Firmin and Monsieur Andre. It was around seven o'clock in the morning when the court session finally resumed from the previous day.

After some hours spent in the stuffy courthouse, the judge halted the meeting for a recess while he decided his final decision to determine Ella's fate. Everyone stood and was leaving the building but she couldn't find the strength in her to move. Madame Giry came over and encouraged her to come, and the two talked of many things to try to lighten the mood. But everyone was clearly extremely nervous and worried.

Ella sat on a beautiful, stone bench beside a small cobble stone path that lead to the courthouse not far away. A few large oak trees blotted out the sun around her and speckled the grass on the ground. Gently a breeze lightly tussled the leaves of the treetops and Ella closed her eyes to listen. She loved that sound... she didn't know how to describe it, but it was one of the many sounds she loved. She opened her eyes again to see the flower bushes scattered around the clearing, and hovering around the flowers were bees and butterflies and other insects. The smell of a recent rainstorm still lingered on the plants, and it mixed with the flowers many odors as well.

The beauty of the small opening was a sight to behold. And all Ella's mind could think of was the horror's that were inside the court house she saw not far ahead of her. How had she gotten caught up in this mess? Had it all started when Papa had sold her?... Was it when she was born?... Yes. It wasn't Mere's fault... but if she hadn't died, father wouldn't have sold Ella in his self-misery. But then she never would have met Eric... The thought scared her, but she shuddered when that made her think, 'What would have happened to him if I hadn't met him?...'

Ella remained there in thought for a while longer, until Madame Giry was walking towards her along the cobble stone path. Eventually she came to sit next to her on the bench and sighed, "How are you?..." Ella looked up at her surprised, "I'm scared of course! Terrified! How would you be if you were forced to wait to know your death sentence!" The Madame stiffened, "Don't talk like that! Would you question the effort so many have put forward to fight for you! We're not going to let anything happen to you!" Ella continued speaking as if she hadn't heard a word though, "I'm never going to see Eric again! What's he going to do!? What's Marcus going to do!?" Madame Giry roughly turned her to face her though and said rather loudly, "Ella stop it! Didn't you hear me!? We are not going to let anything happen to you no matter what it takes!" Ella immediately hugged her, now bawling in fright and the Madame returned it. Not long after though they heard the bell for the court session to resume. Ella was so nervous, and her legs so weak, the Madame had to help support her as they returned to the courthouse.

The knocking of the gavel echoed within the courthouse, while the judge's words echoed through her mind. "We find Miss Ella Temes rightfully innocent, by merely acting in self defense, and free to return home." Had she heard him correctly? Or had she wanted to hear that so badly, that she tricked herself to believing it. But Marcus, Madame Giry and Audric had her trapped in a big hug. And afterwards the two owners even gave her separate hugs of congratulations. She was stunned and couldn't say anything, her mouth unable to form words she couldn't find. There was one point where her legs gave out and she almost collapsed to the floor, but Audric caught her and sat her down in a nearby seat. She couldn't believe it... but she was overjoyed and still terrified at the same time... She was free...
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

This is our sweet Audric Parsall!
Of course he's one of those cute, adorable old guys.
What else would you expect? :P