Sing Once Again With Me

Sing Once Again With Me - Ch. 21

Ella awoke to complete silence. She tried to listen for something, anything - but the first and only thing she heard was the ringing in her ears. The sweet smell of oatmeal, toast and orange juice wafted around her. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked around, rolling onto her back. Seconds slipped by and she slowly recalled the night before, and that she had fallen asleep here in Eric's home. As she looked around for him though, he was nowhere to be seen. She sat up and rubbed the tiredness from her eyes. She yawned and realized this was the first time she had been completely relaxed in a long time.

A drapery of black curtains surrounded the bed. She found and lightly pulled on a tassel, which caused them to rise, and not far from the bed she saw a table where the sweet aroma of breakfast was coming from. After a final glance around she removed the covers and stood up. Yet while she approached the table she passed a mirror that caused her to stop, and she winced at her reflection. Her hair was rather messy and her dress looked like it had been slept in, which it had. She took a step closer to it and briefly brushed through her hair with her fingertips, trying to pat it down into place. Then focusing on her dress she straightened it and smoothed it out the best she could, when a voice said from behind her, "You look lovely Ella." She twirled around, which brought a smile to his face and she smiled as well. "Merci, and you look very handsome as always.. Good morning." she said, approaching to kiss him. Eventually he said, "You haven't touched your breakfast." sounding hurt. Ella giggled, "I just woke up." but she took a seat at the table and soon began eating.

It was only a little while later and she was walking out to the gondola, ready to leave. It was still early in the morning, most wouldn't have woken up yet and the two agreed they didn't want to risk wasting precious time. Soon enough they were on their way, and halfway into the trip Eric asked. "Have you heard of the Masquerade that's to be soon?" Ella smiled, "I have." He smiled himself, "Would you grant me the honor of being your escort?" Ella looked back at him, "Really? I would love to go with you!" He replied, "I'm glad to here it.."

There were no rehearsals today, and everyone acted as if they had won a war. They were laughing and joking and going all over the place, enjoying their day off to the fullest. Ella found Meg and Marcus in the dining hall enjoying breakfast. As she took a seat across from them Meg said, "We're you on the roof again?" Ella glanced at Marcus and nodded before saying, "So, Meg, do you agree we should take this opportunity to shop for those perfect dresses for the Masquerade?" Meg giggled and nodded with a mouthful of toast. Ella smiled but Marcus just stared at her intently.

After breakfast Meg was getting her change-purse from her trunk and Ella was waiting in the backstage area. Marcus eventually arrived and quickly walked over with a serious expression. "Ella, we need to talk." She looked up at him curiously and he began, "You cannot continue seeing that man. I wont allow it."

"Excuser moi? You wont allow it?"

"Non, I wont."

"Marcus this is personal matters - it's not really your business - "

"It most certainly is! You're my little sister and he cannot provide for you!"

"What, you mean like Jacques did so well!?"

"Of course not!"

"Marcus, you don't know the entire picture here - "

"He lives under the Opera House Ella! He's killed countless people and the only income he has is stolen! He didn't even try to show up when you were..."

"You know perfectly well why he couldn't come! Don't blame him for that!"

Marcus sighed irritably, "So, you want to keep seeing him?"

"I do."

"You can imagine having a future with him?"

"Well, yes.."

"Well, what happens if you end up marrying him? Then when your a middle-aged woman the authorities finally do find him and arrest him. What will you do? What will he do for you?"

"The authorities wont find him, they haven't yet. What fault can't be forgiven? I would keep our home fine and work here."

"I don't - "

"Marcus... Have you ever been in love?"

He stared at her without blinking, but she could see his eyes cloud over in thought.
"...Yes..."

"So do you know the feeling? That feeling that when you're together, everything will be fine and work out no matter what? Even though everything that actually makes sense defies that sensation?"

He drew a breath, about to reply when Meg quickly walked up to them with her usual smile. "Sorry that took so long. I was answering a friends question - but that's not important. Let's not waist anymore time!" Ella smiled at her and hugged Marcus saying softly, "Think about it.." And the two girls left the Opera Populaire for most of the entire afternoon.

They had spent most of the afternoon, and amazingly they had had no luck. All of the dresses had either been too big, or small, or long, or short, or just not the right style. And they were planning on shopping some more the next day when they had entered a rather large store and Ella asked the shopkeeper, "Excuser moi? We're looking for formal dresses that are black, gold or white. Do you have anything?" She smiled kindly and asked for them to wait while she checked the back. The two admired some of the clothes and jewelry for a time before the shopkeeper reappeared carrying many dresses with her. She ended up having to make two trips, and Ella and Meg thanked her before they started looking through the beautiful gowns.

Ella and Meg both had a few lovely dresses picked out each, but only a few fit. They were down to the last ones and Meg tried hers on first. When Ella and the shopkeeper saw her they gasped in adoration. Meg's eyebrows raised in expectation of a comment. "Oh Meg..." Ella whispered breathlessly. "You look absolutely gorgeous!" she said, her mouth agape in complete awe. The shopkeeper smiled and nodded in agreement. Meg grinned bashfully and looked down at herself then back at Ella, "Merci.." She looked at herself in a mirror for a moment then turned back to Ella, "Now try yours on!" Ella smiled but took her dress and went to change into it.

She emerged once again and Meg's jaw dropped in astonishment. Ella giggled shyly and walked over to the mirror to look at herself. As she did Meg commented, "Ella you're absolutely stunning in that dress! Far more than any of the other ones!" Ella grinned as she looked at the mirror, 'I can't wait to see Eric...' She thanked Meg, and eventually the two spent a little time posing together until the shopkeeper came back. "I assume you would like to purchase these dresses?" she asked, motioning towards the two dresses. Ella and Meg glanced at each other before nodding and quickly changing out of them. They purchased the dresses, and it was rather awkward, carrying them with them, but they knew of a very good mask shop just down the street. It wasn't long before they found some wonderful masks to wear with the dresses, and they were on their way back to the opera house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Image

Yes sorry, Ella's dress and mask aren't included in this chapter.
But it's the next best thing,
Meg's mask and dress!
Aren't they lovely?