Sing Once Again With Me

Sing Once Again With Me - Ch. 6

Ella's heart was racing. She stole a second to peek out of the curtains and it was indeed a full house. This was it... she was living her dream, but she never thought she would be utterly terrified. Sure, stage fright was to be expected but she feared for her very life! In front of a full audience, singing at the top of her lungs, that strange man that had threatened her on the roof was going to find out, and she felt it would be more sooner than later. Ella's breath began shortening and she became light headed. She reached out for something to balance herself and she ended up holding a man's hand. She glanced up to see Marcus looking down at her with a worried expression, "Ella, you can't do this. Don't start worrying, not now." He spoke forcefully and sure of himself, which calmed her but barely. She shook her head, "I can't do this Marcus. You don't understand." she tried taking deeper breaths. Marcus sighed, "Of course I do. You don't think I've ever experienced stage fright? Sure having the lead role might make it a little different but I still understand. Everyone out there is cheering for you, don't worry."

'Not everyone...' Ella thought bitterly.

Soon enough though she got her cue to take her place on the stage. The curtains were drawn back and light flooded her vision. The narrator stood front and center, beginning to explain the story. The opera was about a mother that loses her son, and a husband that not only loses his child but his emotionally supportive wife in his time of need. The wife learns to meditate to ease her healing and in her vulnerable state she begins to believe that she is receiving messages from her son beyond the grave. Her husband is appalled, being a skeptic but his opposition to his wife's comforting delusions isn't rational. She is made to face what her husband faces every day: their son is dead, due to her carelessness. She must understand what she owes her husband and find how she proposes to help him again.

~~~Eric's POV.~~~

Eric leaned back in his seat, pleased with how things were. Business was running smoothly for once. This was a fine opera to be preformed and they had a full house for its viewing. Finally his salary hadn't been overdue and those two fools who helped run the theatre had left box five reserved.

And Miss Ella was to star as the lead for this production. Eric had indeed been present when Carlotta had stormed out and when Ella had been escorted away to discuss her options. He was anxious to see her perform. He was sure of himself she would do a wonderful job. Through it all though he became lost in thought. Thoughts of his bestowed threat and that her acting might be undeservingly wavered by it.

The curtains were drawn back though and he saw her standing in the center of the stage. She did look terribly frightened, but she also appeared to be trying hard not to let it show. The narrator began explaining the story and he tried to clear his head and enjoy the opera.

~~~Ella's POV.~~~

Ella held the hand of a man named Johnathan, who was actually a very kind gentleman. She sang of the wife's sorrow and regret to her husband and Johnathan took her hands in his when he began singing of the husbands love and forgiveness for his wife. The opera ended in a passionate kiss between the long-time lovers and Ella hated every second of it. Johnathan took 'passionate' as 'rough and sloppy' and she was completely overcome by it.
Once the curtains closed, slightly drowning out the applause from the other side, Ella hugged Johnathan for a job well done and went to rinse out her mouth. Unfortunately though she was alone as she went down the hallway towards the lady's bathrooms. She felt so strongly that someone was watching her, but no matter how many times she checked, no one was there. Finally she came to the restrooms and went over to a sink and began gargling the water, swishing it through her mouth and spitting it out repeatedly. "Poor guy... my hand was better than him when I learned how to kiss." Ella giggled at herself and shook her head at the rude statement; maybe she shouldn't have said that. Then there it was - she heard what sounded like a small inhale of breath. Ella quickly glanced around but saw no one. Heart racing she carefully made her way back to a crowd, keeping her pace quick. Ella sighed as she fought her way through the multitude, she was exhausted from all the things happening lately. She just wanted to get to sleep and she was rather excited about being allowed to stay in the diva's room again.

Finally she reached the door and quickly slipped inside, locking it behind her. She heaved a sigh of relief and collapsed on the bed, still in her performance costume. Finally she sat up again and looked at herself in the vanity mirror. How in the world was she going to get out of her corset? She groaned and fell back on her bed again, laying there a moment or two when she heard a knock at the door. "Coming!" she called as she stood up and went to the door, unlocking it to see Meg's smiling face on the other side, followed by her brother. Ella pulled Meg inside and smiled at Marcus, "One minute, merci." He looked a little confused but shrugged and took a step back. Ella closed the door and began undressing, "Could you help me with this silly thing?" she asked. Meg smiled and began unlacing the corset, "I swear my poor organs are mush right now." and she laughed at what Ella said.

Finally, when she could breathe again Ella changed into her nightgown and let Marcus in. When she did he gave her a big hug and spun her around before setting her back down. "Ella you were absolutely amazing! What are you doing wearing that? The night is young and many congratulations are in order!" Ella giggled and sat down on the bed, "Oh, Marcus you know I would love to but I'm so tired after everything that's been going on lately." Meg nodded, "I think everyone can understand that, besides you deserve it. We'll let them know." Ella smiled, "Thanks you guys." She gave Meg a hug and she waited at the door as Marcus went to Ella. "I'm so proud of you..." he said with his hands on her shoulders and looking her straight in the eyes. Ella smiled and gave him a last hug, "Bonne nuit grand frere." And the two left Ella to her solitude.
She glanced around from where she stood and sighed, slowly walking forward. She smelled a bouquet of flowers among the many that now decorated the room, but she felt her energy drain out of her and she collapsed to sit on the floor. Hot tears sprung from her eyes as memories once again plagued her mind and tortured her being. She balled her hands into fists and laid them over her eyes, resting her head against them. Then a pair of leather, gloved hands carefully wrapped around her wrists and she felt a strange tingle travel through her body when they touched her. The hands pulled hers away from her face and she once again saw into those deep, icy eyes.

She searched his gaze but suddenly flinched and tried to pull away. "S'il vous plait, don't kill me! I'm sorry! They made me do it! I tried to refuse, I really did but they forced me into it. I swear I'll never sing again, I don't even have any wish to. Believe me monsieur, what I say is the truth!" The hands, though gentle were steady and she was still in his grasp when she had finished. "Miss Ella I am not only here to thank you for abiding to my request and telling no one of my being here, but also to sincerely apologize for my rash behavior of our previous encounter. It was terribly wrong of me to threaten a lady such as yourself, and please don't fear because I won't do anything of the sort again." Ella stared at him in amazement. Crazy man say what? He helped her to stand up and let go of her wrists. "In fact I have come here by very different standards. First I would like to congratulate you for a wonderful performance tonight. Your acting was superb and you sang perfectly, which brings me to the point of our meeting. Your voice is truly amazing, but I would like to offer complimentary lessons to find if we could improve it in any way. You don't have to answer now, but in a day's time, if you accept, stand center stage at exactly nine o'clock and bring no one with you. And remember, tell no one that I've returned." With a flick of his cloak the few candles she had lit blew out and she was left alone in the darkness with a million confused thoughts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

I could have a whirl at that.
Hah, whirl... get it?
Author humor...
Fine, I guess I'm just not funny.