Status: Done!

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and Whatnot

Eleven

During the next couple weeks, our workload only got more tiresome. Nonverbal spells were now required in most classes, and our free periods were not nearly enough time to stay caught up with the lessons.

Luckily, it was now Saturday, the day of Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts.

“I dunno why the team’s this popular all of a sudden,” said Harry at breakfast.

“Oh, come on, Harry,” said Hermione impatiently. “It’s not Quidditch that’s popular, it’s you! You’ve never been more interesting, and frankly, you’ve never been more fanciable.”

I said “Ooh baby,” and laughed as Ron gagged on his food.

Hermione just continued, “Everyone knows you’ve been telling the truth now, don’t they? The whole Wizarding world has had to admit that you were right about Voldemort being back and that you really have fought him twice in the last two years and escaped both times. And now they’re calling you ‘the Chosen One’ – well, come on, can’t you see why people are fascinated by you?”

Harry looked slightly uncomfortable.

And you’ve been through all that persecution from the Ministry when they were trying to make out you were unstable and a liar. You can still see the marks on the back of your hand where that evil woman made you write with you own blood, but you stuck to your story anyway…”

“You can still see where those brains got hold of me in the Ministry, look,” Ron pulled back his sleeves.

“And it doesn’t hurt that you’ve grown about a foot over the summer either,” finished Hermione, ignoring Ron.

“I’m tall,” muttered Ron.

“We know, Ron,” I said and reached across the table to pat his hand, “we know.”

The post owls came in at that moment, Hedwig and Pigwidgeon landed on the table, carrying identical packages. Ron and Harry opened them, each pulling out a new copy of Advanced Potion-Making.

Much to Hermione’s dismay, Harry switched the covers of the two books so that the Half-Blood Prince’s looked brand-new, and said he’d give Slughorn back the new one.

Hermione just pressed her lips in a tight line and opened the Daily Prophet.

No deaths, which was good, but more dementor attacks as well as an arrest. Stan Shunpike was under suspicion of being a Death Eater. None of us could fully believe this information, as we all knew Stan to be one to make up stories, but it was a little unnerving all the same.

“They probably want to look as though they’re doing something,” said Hermione. “People are terrified – you know the Patil twins’ parents want them to go home? And Eloise Madgen has already been withdrawn. Her father picked her up last night.”

I nodded as Ron exploded, “What! But Hogwarts is safer than their homes, bound to be! We’ve got Aurors, and all those extra protective spells, and we’ve got Dumbledore!”

“Not all the time,” I said.

“Haven’t you noticed? His seat’s been empty a lot this past week.” Hermione elaborated. “I think he’s left the school to do something with the Order, I mean…it’s all looking serious, isn’t it?”

It was indeed looking serious. I was hoping to hear from my parents soon, just to know how they were doing with the Ministry and all. Both my parents worked there. My mother was in the same department as Mr. Weasley, they were both great lovers of all things Muggle. My father worked in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. I’d heard that some of his coworkers had been getting threats from supposed Death Eaters, and a few had even quit already.

When we left the Great Hall, we passed Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil who were whispering together, looking upset. However, as Ron came level with them, Parvati nudged Lavender who smiled at him widely. Ron hesitantly smiled back, and began to strut more than walk.

I attempted not to laugh, but it didn’t work as well as I’d hoped and came out somewhat as a snort. I covered my mouth with my hand and shook with silent laughter as Harry pulled me past them. He looked as if he was trying not to laugh as well, while Hermione just looked stony.

“Good luck Ron,” I called as I was being pulled once again, this time by Hermione, into the stands.

We sat down towards the front and surveyed the crowd waiting to tryout. It looked as if half the house had shown up, from little, awkward first-years to tall, intimidating seventh-years.

Harry started them off with a simple flying test. The first group was all first-years, none of which could fly; the second group was a bunch of giggling girls who didn’t even attempt to try and just sat down in the stands when Harry dismissed them; the third group had a pileup halfway around; the fourth group had come without broomsticks; the fifth group was Hufflepuff.

“If there’s anyone else who’s not from Gryffindor,” yelled Harry, “leave, now, please!”

A couple Ravenclaws ran off, giggling.

Finally, after nearly two hours, Harry had chosen Katie Bell, a new girl named Demelza Robins, and Ginny for Chasers. His Beaters were Jimmy Peakes, a solid third-year, and Ritchie Coot, wiry with good aim. Neither of them had the old brilliance of Fred and George, but what are ya gonna do? Finally, the Keepers were up. The stands were even more packed now, and Ron looked quite nervous.

The first five applicants were horrendous, hardly worth mentioning. Cormac McLaggen was up next and he save the first four penalties. As he waited for the last one to be thrown, Hermione covered her mouth and muttered something. The next second, the ball came flying at him and McLaggen went shooting off in the wrong direction.

I looked at Hermione, surprised yet amused, “Hermione Granger, you did not”

“What?” she blushed deeply. “I did nothing”

I raised an eyebrow at her.

“Ok, fine, I did, but he deserved it,” she muttered.

I laughed and we watched Ron mount his broom shakily.

Then we heard a voice yell “Good luck!”

It wasn’t either of us and we looked around, surprised. When we saw Lavender giggle and hide her face then, I rolled my eyes and Hermione scowled.

Ron saved all five attempted goals and we cheered. McLaggen looked quite angry, he was red-faced and talking to Harry. After a minute or so, he stalked off and Ron flew down.

Hermione and I ran onto the pitch to congratulate him.

“You did brilliantly, Ron!” Hermione said.

“Yes, completely marvelous,” I added, grinning.

Ron looked very pleased with himself as he stood grinning over us and the rest of his teammates. As we walked off the pitch, Ron was regaling us with the blow by blow of each save.

“I thought I was going to miss that fourth penalty,” he said happily. “Tricky shot from Demelza, did you see, had a bit of a spin on it – “

“Yes, yes, you were magnificent,” said an amused Hermione.

“I was better than that McLaggen anyway,” he said, in a satisfied voice. “Did you see him lumbering off in the wrong direction on his fifth? Looked like he’d been Confunded…”

I smirked as Hermione blushed pink, and I raised an eyebrow at Harry, who had seemed to notice this as well. Ron, however, noticed nothing and continued describing each save in great detail.

As we entered the Great Hall that night for dinner, we were thwarted by none other than Professor Slughorn.

“Harry, Harry, just the man I was hoping to see!” he boomed. “I was hoping to catch you before dinner! What do you say to a spot of supper tonight in my rooms instead? We’re having a little party, just a few rising stars, I’ve got McLaggen coming and Zabini, the charming Melinda Bobbin – I don’t know whether you know her? Her family owns a large chain of apothecaries – and of course, I hope very much that Miss Granger and Miss Firth will favor me by coming too.”

He made a little bow to us, and did not so much as notice Ron’s presence.

“I can’t come, Professor,” said Harry hastily. “I’ve got a detention with Professor Snape.”

“Oh dear!” Slughorn’s face fell so dramatically, it was comical. “Dear, dear, I was counting on you, Harry! Well, now I’ll just have to have a word with Severus and explain the situation. I’m sure I’ll be able to persuade him to postpone your detention. Yes, I’ll see you three later!”

With that, he bustled away.

“He’s got no chance of persuading Snape,” said Harry.

“He’s got more of a chance of convincing him to use shampoo,” I added, matter-of-factly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another pretty long one. (:

Don't worry, the twins will be back when I get to Christmas time, which will be in 5? 6? chapters.

And once again, thanks to all my commenters and subscribers!