Status: Done!

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and Whatnot

Fourteen

Christmas was now approaching fast. All the decorations were up around the castle, including mistletoe that caused groups of girls to congregate under it whenever Harry was near. It was vastly amusing, as well as annoying because they got in the way a lot.

Anyways, other than classes, I had not been spending much time with Ron. There was of course the main reason…he and Lavender were always wrapped around each other and it was slightly revolting, I hoped to Merlin that George and I didn’t have the same affect on people. Then, there was the fact that he’d hurt and upset Hermione, and being her best girl friend, I was sticking by her side. Most nights I was in the library with her, and Harry joined us often to get away from Ron and Lavender.

“He’s at perfect liberty to kiss whomever he likes,” said Hermione. “I really couldn’t care less.”

Harry and I said nothing, I just absently turned a page of my Charms book.

“And incidentally,” she said after a few moments, “you need to be careful.”

“For the last time,” Harry said hoarsely, “I am not giving back this book, I’ve learned more from the Half-Blood Prince than Snape or Slughorn have taught me in – “

“I’m not talking about your stupid so-called Prince,” Hermione gave it a nasty look. “I’m talking about earlier.”

“Oh, yeah,” I said. “We were in the girls’ bathroom just before we came here and there were about a dozen girls in there, including that Romilda Vane, trying to decide how to slip you a love potion.”

“They’re all hoping they’re going to get you to take them to Slughorn’s party, and they all seem to have bought Fred and George’s love potions, which I’m afraid to say probably work – “

“Oh they work,” I said.

They both looked at me.

“What? There was just an incident where they asked me to test it and Fred ended up with a broken nose…no big deal.”

“Why didn’t you confiscate them then?” asked Harry, turning back to Hermione.

“They didn’t have the potions with them in the bathroom, they were just discussing tactics. As I doubt whether even the Half-Blood Prince” – she gave the book another scornful look – “could dream up an antidote for a dozen different love potions at once, I’d just invite someone to go with you, that’ll stop all the others thinking they’ve still got a chance. It’s tomorrow night, they’re getting desperate.”

“There isn’t anyone I want to invite,” Harry mumbled.

“Well, just be careful what you drink, because Romilda Vane looked like she meant business,” said Hermione.

“That’s for sure,” I said.

Harry looked up at me, “Who are you going with?”

“Oh, I’m sorry Harry, I asked Neville. He was upset about not being invited back after the first few dinners. And personally, I thought it rude of Slughorn, so I asked him to go with me.”

He nodded and mumbled, “Yeah, that’s alright.”

A moment later, he said slowly, “Hang on a moment, I thought Filch had banned anything bought at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes?”

I scoffed, “And when has anyone ever paid attention to what Filch has banned?”

“But I thought the owls were being searched. So how come these girls are able to bring love potions into school?”

“Fred and George send them disguised as perfumes and cough potions,” I said. “It’s part of their Owl Order Service.”

“Well. If they’re able to get these potions past Filch, why couldn’t Malfoy have brought the necklace into school - ?”

“Oh, Harry…not that again…” Hermione sighed.

“Come on, why not?” he demanded.

“Look,” she said. “Secrecy Sensors detect jinxes, curses, and concealment charms, don’t they? They’re used to find Dark Magic and Dark Objects. They’d have picked up a powerful curse like the one on that necklace, within seconds. But something that’s just been put in the wrong bottle wouldn’t register – and anyway, love potions aren’t Dark or dangerous – “

“Easy for you to say,” he muttered, and I laughed.

On our way back to the common room, we were joking about the possibility of Filch and Madam Pince, the librarian, having a secret love affair. Romilda Vane cornered Harry the moment we entered the portrait. Then, I noticed Ron and Lavender entwined on the same armchair. Unfortunately, Hermione noticed too.

“Well, good night” she said, shortly, and left for the girls’ dormitory, despite it being only seven o’clock.

I shot Harry a helpless look and he shrugged.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short...and late
I'm posting another chapter right now to make up for the lateness

(: