Status: Done!

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and Whatnot

Forty-Eight

I opened my eyes after the pressing darkness was gone and saw that we were standing in front of Number 12, Grimmauld Place.

Harry tapped the front door with his wand, and we entered.

“I think somebody’s been in here,” Hermione whispered, pointing at the troll leg umbrella stand that was knocked over.

“Could they still be here?” I asked quietly.

“That could’ve happened as the Order left,” Ron murmured back.

“So where are these jinxes they put up against Snape?” Harry asked.

He took a step forward into the house while we stayed on the doormat.

Severus Snape?

It sounded like Mad-Eye Moody speaking, and it made us all jump.

“We’re not Snape!” Harry said.

Then, I felt what seemed like a gust of cold air and my tongue curled up, making it impossible to speak.

“That must have been the Tongue Tying Curse Mad-Eye set for Snape!” Hermione stammered.

Ron was making gagging noises and I stuck my tongue out, trying to see it, making myself cross-eyed in the process.

Harry took another small step forward, and we saw something move in the shadows at the end of the hall. Then, a tall, dusty figure rose up out the carpet. It was horribly familiar and I covered my face with my arm as Hermione screamed and ducked down.

“No! No! It wasn’t us! We didn’t kill you-“ Harry yelled.

I slowly lowered my arm, to see Harry surrounded by a cloud of dust and Ron trying to comfort Hermione.

“That…that was…” she whimpered.

“Yeah, but it wasn’t really him, was it? Just something to scare Snape,” said Harry.

“I doubt it did,” I mumbled.

I didn’t think, as terrifying as the figure was, that it would scare Snape if he had been able to kill the real Dumbledore. Harry glanced at me, and I could tell he was thinking along the same lines. We walked cautiously farther up the hall. When nothing else popped up, and Herms used a spell to check if there were any humans besides us in the house, we went upstairs to the drawing room.

Ron went to the window and I went over to look out as well.

“Can’t see anyone out there,” I said.

“If Harry still had a Trace on him, they’d have followed us here. I know they can’t get in the house, but- “

Harry cried out in pain and I turned around quickly.

“What’s up Harry? What did you see? Did you see him at my place?”

I followed Ron towards Harry, a similar question in my head.

“No, I just felt anger- he’s really angry-“

“But that could be at the Burrow. What else? Didn’t you see anything? Was he cursing someone?” asked Ron.

“No, I just felt anger- I couldn’t tell-“

“Your scar again? But what’s going on? I thought that connection had closed!” Hermione cried.

“It did, for a while,” Harry muttered. “I- I think it’s started opening again whenever he loses control, that’s how it used to-“

“But then you’ve got to close your mind!”

“I’m sure Harry’s trying, but he’s obviously in pain, don’t push him.” I said, trying to be the voice of reason.

“Dumbledore didn’t want you to use that connection, he wanted you to shut it down, that’s why you were supposed to use Occlumency! Otherwise Voldemort can plant false images in your mind, remember-“ she continued, still frantic.

“Yeah, I do remember, thanks,” said Harry.

I sighed and sat down on the couch. I was trying to be reasonable right now so we wouldn’t start panicking, but they made it hard sometimes.

Then Hermione shrieked and I looked up. A silver Patronus landed in the middle of the floor and transformed into a weasel.

Mr. Weasley’s voice spoke from it, “Family safe, do not reply, we are being watched.”

I let out a breath and slumped against the cushions, relieved. Ron and Hermione joined me. At least we knew they were alright.

A few minutes later, Harry left the room and Hermione and I started unpacking some of the stuff we would need for tonight. We pulled out sleeping bags and toothbrushes, plus different clothes for ourselves.

I walked into the hallway to find a room to change into, but didn’t get farther than two feet from the door before I came back in.

“Too creepy, I’m changing in here. Close your eyes Ron.”

Hermione seemed to laugh a bit, but it sounded strained.

“Yep” he obliged, and turned to face the door while I changed behind the couch.

“Thanks buddy” I said as I grabbed my toothbrush and Hermione to come with me so I wouldn’t be alone brushing my teeth.

We all slept in sleeping bags in the drawing room so we could be together, and I listened as each of their breathing slowed. I still couldn’t fall asleep, I couldn’t stop thinking about George.

I missed him already. Way too much. I missed the nights when I was able to sneak into their room, and he was always awake waiting for me. And how he would hold me close and stroke my hair until I fell asleep. And how I felt safe in his arms.

I got up quietly, wrapping the sleeping bag around me and went to sit in front of the window.
I looked out, seeing the dull street lamps illuminating the square. I looked up at the stars, noticing how completely alone it made me feel.

“I love you” I whispered, hoping somehow he would just know.

Then, I lay down by the window and watched as the stars got blurry from the tears I had been holding back all night. I cried silently until I fell asleep.

George’s POV:

Not running after Caroline had been the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I knew I couldn’t, no matter how much I wanted to. They were gone quickly, just as most of the Death Eaters and ministry members arrived. Thanks to Kingsley’s warning, many of the other guests were already gone as well, so it was just the family, and the rest of the Order who stayed and were questioned.

There was no need for them to hide their purpose any longer; they knew that we knew why they were there, so they didn’t bother with being polite. They asked us about Harry, if he had been here, where he was now, etc. Apparently, if they had tortured Scrimgeour for information before they killed him, he hadn’t given anything away. And they asked a few questions about the people with him, but mostly it was about Harry. They also searched the house thoroughly. Found the ghoul, but didn’t want to get too close.

Afterwards, they left, but we were still being watched. Dad was barely able to send his Patronus with a message for them. I wished we could get a message back, but there was no way for them to send us one safely.

I sat on my bed, looking out the window, thinking about Caroline. I hated not knowing where she was, or if she was safe. I wanted her here with me. I glanced toward the door, half expecting her to sneak through it like she did most nights. When she didn’t, I sighed quietly so as not to wake Fred, and lay down. The bed felt too empty and cold without her next to me. I turned on my side and looked at the stars.

“I love you” I whispered, hoping she would know.
♠ ♠ ♠
that Dumbledore thing freaked me out the first time I read the book

I'm thinking the chapters are going to start getting longer because I don't want to have like 200 chapters in this story, you know?

thanks so much for the comments (: