Sequel: Say You Remember Me

Say You Love Me Damon Salvatore

How You Love Me Now

Tomorrow was the big day! My stomach knew it, too. Today, however, I was to spend some time with Mom and Joseph; shooting pool. I had asked my mom if Damon could come, but she said she wanted me to get to know Joseph better and she didn’t want me, quote on quote, “hide behind Damon the entire time”. So I sucked it up. However much she wanted me to, though, I would not go into the drama business. Sorry, Mom.

Joseph was a good thing, though. I could see where he was softening my mom up. Even me dating Damon had softened her. We were friends again, like we had been so long ago

“OLIVIA!”

“COMING!”

I put a black headband through my hair to pull my bangs out and get rid of the heaviness in the front. Trotting down the hallway, I noticed Joseph in the doorframe, talking to my mom. She was smiling. I smiled, too. It was really nice to see her happy. Even if she let herself trust Joseph too quickly, I wasn’t going to. He seemed like a really cool guy, though, and I didn’t think I had much to worry about. But just in case, I would keep my protective daughter persona in check.

“Well, who’s up for pool?” I asked, putting my hands on my hips and grinning crazily.

My mom rolled her eyes at me and slipped on her coat. “I haven’t played pool in years.”

To Joseph, I murmured loud enough for my mom to hear, “Back when she did fun stuff!”

Joseph cracked a smile. “I heard that," my mom said with a playful scowl.

I shrugged. "Great to know you're not deaf, Mom. Hey, why don't we get going?"

My mom gave Joseph a look of sympathy and a warning of crap to come. I smiled triumphantly as we headed to the car. Joseph had a very impressive automobile. It was a silver—not red, thank God, that’d be trying too hard….kinda like some other guy I seem to be dating—Honda Civic. Not dumpy but not too flashy, either. My idea of perfect. My mom’s, too.

I was having fun politely interrogating Joseph. I learned he married young—something he made me swear not to tell my mom, he would tell her in due time—and his wife died in a plane crash three years after they married. She had been eight months pregnant with their first child. Her name was Grace.

I changed the subject quickly. He played basketball when he got the chance. Oh, the one I really enjoyed was his choice of music. He liked old music, and I agreed with his choice on the Big Bopper, the Beetles, and Elvis. But who doesn’t love Elvis, right? Oh, but we had a long discussion on David Bowie. I said I didn’t care if he was, somewhat, of a freak in real life. He had a great voice and great music.

It was getting really heated when my phone buzzed. “Hold up,” I said. I took out my phone to check the text message. I was stealing my mom’s boyfriend, anyway. Well, stealing his attention, that is. It wasn’t like I liked him….oh, forget it! I looked at the text message.

You like older men now, babe? That’s hot.

I felt myself turn to ice. Damn, I had almost forgot about Jeremy and his stupid taunts. Forgetting all about my mom and her date, I dialed numbers, with shaky fingers. He answered with a hello on the second ring. “Hey, I need you to pick me up….”

“Why, what’s going on?” Damon asked.

“Jeremy just sent me a text message…”

“Where are you?” Damon sounded pissed.

I told him quickly and he said he was on his way. I went pack into the pool room and told my mom I had to go. She looked a mixture of disappointed and pissed.

“Why?” she asked.

I didn’t want to ruin her evening, Damon could take care of me. “Last minute band practice.” When she tried to protest, I added, “We are going to be on TV tomorrow.”

My mother sighed reluctantly. “Alright, go.”

“Thanks, bye.”

“Who’s picking you up?”

“Damon,” I said before slipping away. Knowing Damon he was probably breaking the speed limit to get here. On my way out, though, I heard Joseph say to my mom Damon had a history with girls and “advise” her to be careful around him before I got hurt. His ‘before’ sounded like “because she’s going to get hurt”. Well, screw that! So much for liking Joseph. I knew Damon had a history and I knew I probably would get hurt….but I was hoping I wouldn’t.

Damon had showed up with a fierce looking expression and I wondered if I should tell him about Joseph. I didn’t, though. We went straight to my house. I was changing my clothes while Damon waited outside my door.

“You know, you’d probably be more effective by the front door,” I said, slipping my shirt off and sweats on.

“I feel better here,” Damon said.

“Don’t you dare open that door!” I warned after I heard it twist. I scrambled around for a T-shirt. “I’m not dressed yet.”

“Relax, I’ve seen you in your bra before,” Damon said, coming in, ignoring my protest, and stood by my window.

I sighed in annoyance. “Damon Salvatore if you don’t get out right now—” As I was saying all this, I was bent over, grabbing a black Guns’N’Roses T-shirt. Damon came silently from behind and grabbed my waist. My jaw clenched.

“What could you possibly do to me?” he mocked playfully.

I turned around, which turned out to be a mistake because he only held me tighter. “You’re supposed to be keeping watch, not seduce me.”

“Why,” he said with an arrogant smirk. “is it working?”

I swallowed hard. Yes, was what I wanted to say, but I shook my head.

“Hmm...” He frowned. “I guess I’ll just have to try harder, then.”

“Damon—” But my protest sounded weak even to me, and more so to Damon as his lips trailed down my neck. I was still in my pink and black bra, by the way. “I don’t….I don’t wanna do this right now…” But I did. I just thought I’d give myself the benefit of protest.

Damon picked me up, wrapping my legs around his torso as he kissed me.

“My mom’s gonna be back soon…” I tried to say, but even as I said it, I was slipping his shirt off.

“Mmm hmm…” Was all he said as he lay me down, straddling above me. He looked at me seriously. “Still don’t want to do this?”

I couldn’t believe it. He was actually giving me a way out….I should take it. I should say, no, I don’t. I should tell him I really liked him but I wasn’t ready for this….I pulled him down and kissed him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“RACHEL OLIVIA ASHWERN!”

I jumped at my mother’s voice, hitting Damon’s head with my own. “Ow, God….” I muttered.

“RACHEL!” My mother screamed again.

Damon laughed as he pulled his pants on. “It’s not funny!” I scolded. “When she finds out you’re here—”

“She already knows, she saw my car,” Damon laughed.

I rolled my eyes, throwing on pajama shorts and that Guns’N’Roses shirt. “So are you gonna brave her or take the window route?”

“RACHEL!” Was it me or was she screaming louder.

“Window. You’re mom scares the hell outta me.”

I tossed Damon his shirt as he began to crawl out the window. “See you tomorrow, you big baby.”

“Why must you be so nasty?” he laughed, giving me a quick kiss before he climbed out the window.

I sighed. Jeeze, my mom had horrible timing. I was hoping to spend more than an hour and a half with Damon after everything…With excellent timing, my mom threw open my door. “RACHEL OLIVIA! HOW COULD YOU LIE AND SAY YOU WERE GOING TO BAND PRACTICE WHEN YOU WERE HERE ALONE WITH DAMON SALVATORE?!” She screamed. “I HARDLY ASK FOR ANYTHING, BUT….”

She proceeded to yell at me, but absolutely nothing could smother my glow.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Oh my God!” Juliet screamed, dropping the blouse she was examining. She and Steph had come over to help me dress.

I pretended to examine more clothes, but really I was trying to hide my blush. “My mom said she had a mind to make me stay here tonight…”

“I’m glad she didn’t!”

“Me too, the band’d kill me. But I am grounded afterward….”

“I’d say it’s worth it,” Jewels picked up another shirt. “I mean, it’s like every girl gets to sleep with Damon Salvatore now that you’re together.”

I frowned. I hadn’t even wanted to tell her in the first place, but she asked why my mom was so pissed at me and I told her because I ditched the pool house for Damon, which wasn’t true but I didn’t feel like getting in the discussion of Jeremy.

“Okay, what have you got for me?”

Jewels revealed a red tank top and black skinny jeans. “You can wear your knee high converse and a black hoodie with it.”

I was kind of in the mood for plain, anyway. “Okay, and I think I have red hair extensions.” Not for the first time, I wished I hadn’t cut my hair. But when I flat ironed it, instead of just blow drying it and flat ironing the bangs, it looked a bit longer with the layers.

I got on the tank top, pants, shoes, and hoodie, along with having put on some black eyeliner. “How do I look?”

“Hmmm…No, that’s not right…” Jewels tossed me a pair of dark red skinny jeans, and the black Guns’N’Roses T-shirt. “Try this.”

I put it on and they agreed that was the outfit. So, with Juliet wearing black shorts, pink tights, a black and white striped long-sleeved shirt and black flats, Steph wearing a black mini skirt, green leggings, black low top Converse, and a red tank top, we set off to the cars. Kurt was driving Steph and Jewels there and Damon was driving me.

He looked off, though. He had dark circles under his eyes. He was leaning against his car and I could see the forced smile. “You ready?”

“Yeah…” I got into the car and we started off. “You okay?”

Damon sighed. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

But he didn’t look or sound fine, and his grip on steering wheel was tight. I tried to ignore the sickening feeling in my stomach that said, This is it, he’s going to break up with you now that you’ve had sex with him.

I didn’t realize I cared so much if he broke up with me….not since last night….

“C’mon, Liv, we’ll be on in ten minutes!” Zack rushed.

I glanced back at Damon, who hanging moodily around backstage. “’K…..I know we practiced this morning, but is the sound alright?” I was so freaking nervous!

“The sound’s dine and ready to go,” Paul said, rushing me to my mic.

Lane and Delaney were already where they were supposed to be. We had decided to start out with Hey Monday and end with Fallout Boy. The TV host was just announcing us. As soon as the lights went on, we would start out How You Love Me Now. Then I would introduce us further. I can’t tell you how “psyched” I was about that.

I looked out at the shadowed cameras and the many people sitting and took a deep breath to calm my nerves. It never got any easier.

“…..F.I.R.E!” The TV host said, the light coming on and the crowd cheering.

We started our music. “Alright, I know most you guys know this!” I said into the mic.

“Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh (I love you)
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh

You were talking to her
But messing with me
It's finally clear
You're blurring the lines
Are you disturbed?
Oh now you care
Why do you race through my red lights?

Can't understand?
I'll slow it down for you

Tell me how can you sleep?
How can you breathe?
Baby tell me how
How you love me now
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Tell me how can you sleep?
How can you breathe?
I hate when you say
How you love me now

Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh

Save
Save it for her
I'm not gonna hear
Your reasons and please-just-take-me-backs
We never were right
Don't waste your breath
You crashed and you're on your own tonight

Can't understand?
I'll slow it down for you

Tell me how can you sleep?
How can you breathe?
Baby tell me how
How you love me now
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Tell me how can you sleep?
How can you breathe?
I hate when you say
How you love me now

Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh

Lights out
I've found out my falling star
Goodbye
The sun rises here
There's no more you and I

Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh (I love you)
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh

Tell me how can you sleep?
How can you breathe?
Baby tell me how
How you love me now
Whoa oh
Whoa oh oh
Tell me how can you sleep?
How can you breathe?
I hate when you say
How you love me now
How you love me now
How you love me now!”

I even got them jumping with me! I couldn’t help the smile that escaped me. I waited a few minutes, smiling at the band and giving them thumbs up, before I spoke in the mic. “How’s everyone doin’ tonight?” I got a scream of response. “We are F.I.R.E, we’ve been around….a while, now. I’m just gonna quickly introduce the players before going onto our next and last song. First off, I’m Liv. Over here on lead guitar is Zack!” Girls especially screamed at this. “On the keyboards is Delaney!” I heard guys calling out to her. “On the bass is Paul!” Girls were screaming at him. I loved it. “And last but not least is Lane on the drums!”

I waited for the screaming to die down. “Alright….so how many of you guys know the song Beat It?” Many screams for this. I was getting used to this. “Alright, that’s our next song! Zack, take it!”

I should have just run off stage. But Zack said he needed me there to get them pumped up, since he couldn’t sing, play the guitar, and jump around just yet.

“They told him don't you ever come around here
Don't wanna see your face, you better disappear
The fire's in their eyes and their words are really clear
So beat it, just beat it

You better run, you better do what you can
Don't wanna see no blood, don't be a macho man
You wanna be tough, better do what you can
So beat it, but you wanna be bad

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it

They're out to get you, better leave while you can
Don't wanna be a boy, you wanna be a man
You wanna stay alive, better do what you can
So beat it, just beat it

You have to show them that you're really not scared
You're playin' with your life, this ain't no truth or dare
They'll kick you, then they beat you,
Then they'll tell you it's fair
So beat it, but you wanna be bad

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right
Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it

Beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or who's right

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right
Just beat it, beat it
Beat it, beat it, beat it!”

“Thank you everybody!” Zack and I said while the crowd cheered.

The lights went off and we were offstage. Afterward, though, they wanted interviews. Zack said it’d be all right, so we did it.

“So, Liv,” this lady asked me, holding a microphone to her mouth. There was a single camera man and a lady scribbling notes on a notebook. “How long have you been with the band?”

I felt weird with the camera nearly shoved up my face. “Like a month. They called me in all desperate for a lead singer.,” I laughed.

“And, Liv, I know a lot of guys are out there thinking this….are you in any relationships in the band?”

“Nah, Zack and Paul are too weird for my type,” I joked lovingly.

“Any relationships at all?”

What do relationships have to do with the band? I wanted to ask. I shifted uncomfortably. “Yeah, I have a boyfriend.”

“Do you write songs yet?”

“We’ve been working on it,” I said. “We’ll have to have some originality now, I guess.”

She asked me a few more questions then I went to find Steph and Juliet. “Hey, Miss Big Shot!” Juliet congratulated.

“You were a pro up there, Livy,” Steph gushed.

“Thanks you guys!” We scurried out of the building. There was to be an after party. “Do you guys know where Damon is?”

“Mmm mm,” Juliet shook her head.

Why wasn’t I surprised?

“I thought I saw him go around back,” Steph offered.

“Let’s go check. He’s giving me a ride to the bar.”

We walked, quietly giggling about being on TV, toward the back. “You were all awesome up there, like a real band person!” Jewels said excitedly. “It was like you were made to do it.”

“Aw, you guys are so swe—” I tripped suddenly over something hard. “Ugh, nothing to drink yet and I’m already stumbling!”

“Oh my God…” Juliet gasped.

“What?” I got up, wiping the water from the drain pipe on my pants. “What, Jewels?”

Steph bent over the thing I’d tripped on. I looked down and saw the back of a girl. “Oh my….God…” I bent down, too, and we rolled her over.

“Check her pulse, I’m calling an ambulance,” Steph said, standing up and dialing her phone. Juliet screamed and ran toward the back door.

Trying to be calm, I put my fingers to the girl’s neck…only to find two perfect puncture wounds. “No…” I whispered. My whole world seemed to go black. I couldn’t hear anything, not even my own haggard breathing.

“Liv!” Steph shook me. “Does she have a pulse?” I didn’t have to check to know she was dead. Steph did, though, and confirmed my thoughts. “She’s dead….”

“Oh my God, this isn’t happening…..this isn’t happening….” I muttered over and over.

“Help me move her. Olivia! Oh, forget it!” Steph took the girl and dragged her away toward the back door.

I sat there, stunned, the blood on my jeans still sticky. I knew exactly who was responsible for it, too, and that only made me feel worse.

I whirled around, on my feet, when I heard a footstep. A dark figure loomed over me, looking worn out. “Damon, oh my God!” I launched myself at him, wrapping my arms around his neck, wanting to cry out with sheer joy. “You’re all right! I was worried he got you, too! Damon….” I pulled away to look at him….and gasped. From his mouth and down his neck he was covered in blood. I immediately started backing away. “No….”

“Liv—” he tried to say.

“You didn’t do it! Please tell me you didn’t do!” But Damon’s eyes were fixed on me and he didn’t try to defend himself. I choked sob escaped me. “No….Why?! Why did you have to….” I tried hiding my face so he wouldn’t see me cry.

“Liv, I—”

“Don’t touch me!” I said as he came nearer. “Just get out of my life! I’m done falling for you monsters!” Without another word, I ran farther into the back building, trying to reach the front.

Something caught me from behind and slammed my back against the wall. I began to scream, but a hand clamped over my mouth. I could hear the pant that sounded more like a growl and I tried not to whimper.

“You can’t run away from me like that!” Damon yelled. “My instincts just kick in! I don’t want to hurt you, Liv!”

“You already did!” I yelled, pushing his hand from my mouth. “How could you let me go on like that?! You were using me!”

“I wasn’t!” he shouted furiously. His voice did not soften, it came out in an aggressive growl that had my legs shaking. “I wasn’t using you!”

“I told you! I told you about Jeremy! Even after that, you still had to torture me! Only I didn’t know it, did I?”

“What the hell does Jeremy have to do with any of this?!”

“You killed her!”

“Only because I was you last night!” Damon yelled furiously. That got me to shut up. “Would you rather I have killed you?”

I tried tearing myself away from him. “Just let me go!”

He gave me one last final glare before letting me run away. I stopped well away from the WAXO building, by a tree. My knees buckled and, holding my stomach, I let myself fall on my knees and cry.

“Liv! Olivia! Liv!” Someone was screaming. I felt arms around me. “Liv, it’s going to be okay,” Steph was saying.

But it wasn’t going to be okay. Not at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
So they finally "did it"! But a day later she breaks up with him. WTF? Honestly, we can't all be like Bella and Elena and just accept the fact that you're boyfriend is a vampire. This is what I'd do, anyway. You guys will hate these next chapters, I know, and I'm sorry. But you knew it was coming and I had to do it. Hey, I was going to have him kill Lane or Delaney but I just couldn't ruin the band. They're my fave after all. Anyway, you'll find out a bunch of stuff in the next chapter that pretty much reveals everything I've been leading up to. I was gonna wait this chapter out a bit more, but I thought I might lose my audience.
So here you go!
P.S I listened to a lot of Flyleaf, Fireflight, Amy Lee, and Hey Monday during this chapter. Oh, and this Vanessa Hudgens song someone told me to look up--I really don't like her voice at all. Zac Efron has a nice voice, though (I have found a new love for him since 17 Again, my new favorite movie--"I think our hands just made a baby" who writes that shit? It's genius!)