Sequel: Say You Remember Me

Say You Love Me Damon Salvatore

Awake and Alive, but Miserable

DAMON’S POV-

I had no idea why I was even going to her house. What was I going to say to her anyway? That she was right? That I couldn’t tell her before because that seemed….well, ludicrous?

Too many questions were racing through my mind too fast. I hadn’t been this confused since Elena, and even then I…..It was just…..different with Liv. She was nothing like Catherine and maybe only a little like Elena, but not really.

I parked in the driveway and pounded on the door. It opened and, without so much as a smile, she crossed her arms. “What do you want, Damon?”

“What? No hello?” I said grumpily, shoving my way into the house.

Sighing in annoyance, Elena shut the door. “What do you want?”

I looked around the large building. “My baby brother at home?”

“No, he’s out hunting. What do you want?”

I turned to her. “Honestly?”

“Yeah…”

“I think there’s something wrong with me…..”

ELENA’S POV

I stared at Damon, but he wasn’t looking at me. I’m sure my mouth was hanging open, as well as the corners lifting up in a smile. But I couldn’t help it. As he was explaining all this I could tell exactly what was going on; why was he acting so blind? It frustrated me to no end, but also amused me.

“What?” he mumbled, still refusing to look at me.

“You’re in love with her,” I said like a ‘duh’.

Slowly, he turned his head toward me, glaring at me with dark me. “ I. Am not. In. Love. With. Her,” he said slowly.

I didn’t want to argue with him on this. “Well, if you don’t like my conclusion, why did you come to see me? You knew what I was going to say.”

Damon looked away. “I dunno……I guess I just….”

He just needed someone to talk to. No matter how much he tried to hide it, Damon was still just a person, vampire or not. And I knew he was more upset about the breakup than he let on, that he even knew, for that matter.

LIV’S POV-

Today was harder. Juliet called me, telling me all the details about her new boyfriend and couldn’t help the jealousy bubbling deep inside of me. She asked if I was okay and, of course, I lied. Who could I honestly talk to, anyway? I mean, Jewels, Steph, and my mom were the only people who knew what Jeremy was. A part of my mind wanted to tell them Damon was a vampire as well, let them burn him at the stake or whatever kills vampires.

But the other part had kept me from telling them because Damon hadn’t physically hurt me. Did that mean I would go running into his arms at this moment? Hell no. But it didn’t mean I wanted him dead either.

Anyway, Damon sort of slipped my mind later that day when my cell rang. “Hello?” I answered, feeling dread. The number didn’t show up and the only person whose number never showed up on my phone was Jeremy…

“Olivia? This is Alex Jenkins. Do you remember me?”

I had a nerve to sigh in relief. “Oh, hi, Alex. Yeah, of course I remember you.”

He chuckled. “That’s a good sign, then. How would like to see a movie tonight?”

I felt my cheeks redden. “Uh….sure….What’re we gonna see?”

“What’s out that you would want to see? Don’t girls like Twilight these days?”

I laughed nervously. “Oh, no, not me. I hate vampires.”

“Well, then you’re more complicated then I thought…..And I mean that in a good way.”

I snickered. “Then thank you. Um….how bout Sherlock Holmes? That looked pretty promising.”

I could hear the sounds of fingers of a keyboard. “Sherlock Holmes it is. We can go at….seven forty-five?”

“Sounds good to me.”

“So….do you want to meet there or should I pick you up?”

I bit my lip unsurely. “Um…you can pick me up,” I gave him my address.

“Okay, I’ll pick you up at seven.”

“’K.” I hung up. Great, now I just have to tell my mom.

“Absolutely not!”

I followed my mom to the kitchen. “But Mom—”

“I said no! You just broke up with your boyfriend, and that means there was something wrong with him.” When she saw the look of shock on my face, my mom added, “You didn’t think I knew, did you?”

I studied my hands. “No,” I mumbled.

“So what was wrong with him? I mean, was he not good in bed?”

“Oh, God, Mom—”

“I’m not being funny,” she said sternly. “Rachel, how could you let that happen? You know better than to just sleep around!” I knew she was pissed when she used my first name.

“Mom, I wasn’t sleeping around, okay?” I defended. “It was the one and only time with him, alright? And it just…..happened.”

“It just happened?” My mother was fuming. So far she hadn’t lectured me about finding Damon and me, but I knew it was only a matter of time. “And is it going to jus happen with this Alex character?”

“No. Mom….” I sighed. “I’m not looking for another boyfriend. I’m just going on a date.”

“But what if he’s looking for a girlfriend?”

I sighed in frustration. “I’m not going to let that happen, alright?”

“I’m not letting you go until you tell me why you broke up with Damon.” My mom was in her stubborn stance, so I knew I wasn’t going anywhere unless I told her something.

Telling her Damon had been cheating on me seemed wrong, and I wouldn’t lie like that. But saying he was a vampire was a discussion I didn’t want to get into. So what to say? “It was getting to be too much….”

“What do you mean by that?”

I sighed, biting my lip. Half of what I was saying wasn’t a lie. “I mean…it was getting serious….”

“Olivia—”

“I was falling in love with him!” I yelled at last and felt my throat tighten.

My mom stared at me with a sympathetic yet shocked look.

I went on. “I just….I can’t deal with that emotionally.”

“Olivia….”

“So can I just go on this date, please?”

Slowly, my mom nodded.

“Thank you,” I said and ran to my room, locking the door behind me. I leaned against the door, closing my eyes so I wouldn’t start sobbing.

DAMON’S POV-

“What do you mean by that?”

“I mean…it was getting serious….”

“Olivia—”

“I was falling in love with him!”

There was a slight pause.

“I just….I can’t deal with that emotionally.”

I didn’t know if she was just trying to get her mother to shut up or if she was being genuinely honest. In any case, I was walking toward her bedroom window. She ran in and locked the door behind her. I stopped when I saw her shoulders shake.

What? She had the nerve to cry?! What is it about women?! She was the one who said she never wanted to see me again and now she was crying?!

I groaned in frustration and ran away from her house. “Damnit!” I yelled. Damnit it all, I hated her! I hated how she tortured me! How could a single woman cause a man so much misery? I was beginning to see why Jeremy was hunting her.

LIV’S POV-

“Hi!” I said breathlessly when I opened the door.

Alex took in my appearance and chuckled. “You look nice.”

He was wearing blue jeans and an open blue and gray checkered button down, with a black shirt underneath. I had dug through my drawers and brought out a gray jean mini skirt, black leggings, and a plain black long-sleeved shirt. I ditched my Converse for black flats.

“Thanks,” I looked over my shoulder. “Hey, we better go before my mom sees you.”

“Why, she doesn’t know you’re going out?” Alex half-laughed.

“No, she knows. That’s the problem,” I grabbed my bag and shut the door behind me. “Let’s go.”

Alex drove a blue Camero. It was amazing and I told him so. I tried buying my own ticket, he refused and bought it, and my own popcorn and junk. I did, however, sneak in some Dots.

Sherlock Holmes was awesome, I loved it. I would always think of Watson as the fat mouse from the kids’ cartoon The Great Mouse Detective. But it was good. Alex drove me home, after I assured him I was full from popcorn and didn’t want anything to eat. He asked me if I’d like to go to dinner tomorrow, then, and I said yes.

So when was I going to tell him no more dates?

He was a great guy and I was just keeping him from some girl. So, I thought, by tomorrow I’d break it to him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~~**~*~~**~*~~*~*

I had band practice. The gig the other day went great, I had a lot of cheers for Black Velvet. Today, though, we were working on a song Zack wrote with Delaney, so it was meant as a duet. He and I would sing it. It was a slowish love song and I felt slightly uncomfortable singing it with him, but he assured me it was no big deal—he preferred Delaney over me.

“Aw, dude, did you guys see Whip It?” Lane asked, stepping away from her drums.

“Yeah,” I said. “It was really good. Watchya think? Maybe my talent lies in roller derby…”

Everyone looked at eachother and said, “Nah!”

“Aw, c’mon, guys!” I protested. “I could be called Indiana Bones!”

They all laughed. “It took you all day to think of that, didn’t it?” Delaney asked.

I shrugged. “Yeah.”

“Ew, and that guy, Oliver?” Lane started.

Delaney, Lane, and I looked at eachother and gagged. Exaggerating the girliness, we said, “Totally eweth!”

Paul and Zack looked at us oddly. “Totally….eweth?”

“Yeah, it’s from Shrek the Third,” I explained.

Zack rolled his eyes. “You girls and movies.”

“I couldn’t possibly live without my movies!” I said dramatically.

Zack shook his head. “Alright, guys, I think we’re all pretty bushed.”

I tried not to look dejected. With the band, it was the highlight of my week. At home it just reminded me of how miserable I was and that I had to let Alex down tonight. I wasn’t good at letting good guys down. And who knew? Alex could have been a great boyfriend experience after Jeremy, but freaking A Damon Salvatore had to go and ruin that by being a freaking vampire.

I hate vampires.

So I got ready for the date tonight, wearing a flowly brown skirt and a pink blouse, I also stole a pair of my mother’s heals. Alex was dressed up, too. We went to fancy restaurant where Alex persuaded me to try a snail. It was gross and slimy and I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

On the way back, Alex walked me to the door. I fumbled with my keys. “Alex…there’s something I’ve been needing to tell you…”

“Yeah?”

When I looked up, Alex was moving closer to me, like he wanted to kiss me. I have to admit, I wanted to know what it was like to kiss a human. So I said, “Um, well…” like I was an idiot.

Alex took that as an invitation. He leaned in and kissed me gently. I closed my eyes, trying not to write mental notes in my head about a human’s kiss. You know I did, though. And, I’ve got to tell you….Everyone thinks vampire kisses are so magical and intoxicating…They are. But when all you’ve ever known is vampire kisses, a human kiss is really….nothing…

I pulled away. “Alex…”

“Sorry,” he said.

“No, it’s…” I was not going to say the It’s not you, it’s me, bullshit. “It’s been really fun, going out with you, and….well…I just can’t…anymore…I mean, you’re really sweet, so, so sweet, but I just got out of this heavy relationship—” God, did I just say relationship? “and I’m not really looking for another one….”

Alex nodded. “I expected as much…..Sure you won’t change your mind?”

I shook my head, biting my lip. “I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be,” he said with all the politeness in the world. “In any case, it was a pleasure, Olivia Ashwern.”

I smiled sadly. “For me, too. Well, goodbye…”

“Would you, by any chance, consider being friends?”

I smiled. “Yeah…I would like that….Only, you know, no kissing or anything….”

Alex laughed. “I cross my heart.”

“Cool…Well, see you round, then…” I walked inside awkwardly.

“How was your date?”

I nearly jumped out of my skin at the familiar voice. “God, what the hell are you doing here?”

The Italian boy stepped out of the shadows. He had a grave look on his face. “We need to talk, Olivia.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I might have said this already, but(after hopefull making 40 something chapters) there's going to be a sequel called, 'Now That It's Over, I Just Want To Hold Her'. Have fun with that thought. Next chapter you should really hate me for, but guess what? I'd have made it to chapter 30! I've never done that before, I usually quite ten chapters before! So, anyway, hope you like this and sorry to those who wanted more romance with Alex Jenkins. I like that he's just her friend, because I actually started to like him...funny how that goes, huh?