Sequel: Say You Remember Me

Say You Love Me Damon Salvatore

What if I Wanted to Break?

I sat as patiently as I could in the waiting room, staring absent mindedly at the television screen playing reruns of Bewitched. Joseph was sitting beside me, waiting for more news.

On the way back from their date, Joseph took a wrong turn to an old, dirt road. He went to turn around but suddenly he saw something in the road, swerved, and hit a tree. He turned to see if my mother was all right, and she was, except for a mild cut on her head. The car had hit the tree on the lower right hand side of the car. Joseph and my mom got out to check the damages of the car. Joseph felt a painfully blow to the head and heard my mother scream before falling unconscious. When he woke up, my mother was lying motionless on the hood of the car, her neck spilling over with blood.

The doctors said it was an animal attack. But what animal had time to club Joseph over the head? Unless the animal didn’t want Joseph to see it was quite human-like. The doctors said she was suffering from major blood loss and a nasty wound that wouldn’t seem to stop flowing with blood. They had given her a transfusion but that only helped a little. They also said she had gone into a temporary coma.

My Aunt Moira was on her way down from Washington . She was to stay with me while my mother was in the hospital. I guessed this “temporary coma” was getting quick “extemporary” by the hour.

I sighed. “How you doin’?” Joseph asked me.

I shrugged. “As well as can be expected, I guess…”

My phone buzzed in my bag and I took it out mechanically. “Hello?”

“Rach? It’s Aunt Moira. I need directions to the hospital.”

“Oh, okay,” Never could I ever convince my aunt to call me Olivia. Ever. I gave her the directions.

“Okay. Thanks, love. I’ll be there in a jiffy.”

“Alright…”

I sighed, leaning back in the chair. I was about five seconds away from calling Damon. Alex had stayed for about two hours, but I told him he could go home. He protested at first, but no can refuse me when I was in this kind of mood.

The doctor came out and Joseph and I jumped to our feet. “What’s going on?” I asked, the panic and stress in my nerves showing in my voice.

“The wound is starting to heal, she’s not losing anymore blood,” the doctor explained. “But she’s still in a coma. That seems to be the only thing that we should worry about. We don’t know how she’s in a coma; there’s no medical explanation I can think of. We’ve got people researching it, but as far as we can tell, I don’t have an explanation now.”

“Do you know how long it’ll last?” I asked.

The doctor shook his head. “I’m afraid not. You should go home, though. We’ll be sure to call if anything changes.”

I nodded. “Yeah, okay…”

“Rachel?!”

I turned around to see the curly red hair of my aunt. It was hard, sometimes, when she would visit. My mom was an only child and her parents had died a few years ago. Aunt Moira really resembled my dad. They were twins, see. Same curly red hair and hazel eyes, like mine.

I didn’t even think of my dad as I let myself fall into my aunt’s embrace. “Hey,” I mumbled. She was tall woman, maybe five foot seven. She was still in her lawyer suit, as I often called it—brown pencil skirt, creamy blouse, and a matching brown button down suit top.

“C’mon, baby, let’s go home,” Aunt Moira soothed.

I nodded. “You leaving, Joe?”

He nodded. “I might as well. They wouldn’t tell me anything anyway.”

“Alright, I’ll let you know if anything changes…” I said awkwardly.

Aunt Moira led me out to her beautiful silver Mustang. I couldn’t admire it then, though. I closed my eyes, exhaustion sweeping over me. I thought it had only been five minutes, but the car slowed to a stop and Aunt Moira said, “We’re here….right?’

I opened my eyes, looking at the familiar yellow and brick building. “Yeah, we’re here.” I undid my seatbelt, grabbed my bag, and walked mechanically inside.

“So…” Aunt Moira said awkwardly.

I sighed, walking over to my bedroom. “I’m just tired, Aunt Moira. I’m going to bed. My mom’s room is over there,” I pointed in the direction of her room. “Night.”

“Good night…”

I didn’t bother getting pajamas on. I crawled into my warm, safe bed. As soon as my mind wasn’t swirling with shock any longer, the tears began falling until I couldn’t stop. Somewhere in the midst of sobbing, Aunt Moira heard me and couldn’t resist comforting me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I was even more alert of Jeremy than ever now. I knew he did this to my mother. Aunt Moira doesn’t know anything about that. How could she? She rarely visits because of my dad. I asked her, the next morning, how he was doing.

Aunt Moira sighed. “He’s married again.”

My jaw clamped onto the carrot I’d been eating. “To the skank he left us for?” I asked tightly.

Aunt Moira shook her head. “No, someone else. They’ve been married for two years now.”

“Hmm…” Jackass didn’t even bother to call at least his daughter. “Does he just disown me, or what?”

Aunt Moira looked pained. “No, honey. He doesn’t disown you.”

I kept my voice calm, monotone. “Then what’s his deal?”

Aunt Moira sighed, pouring herself a glass of scotch. That was the funny thing about my aunt. She lived for scotch. Not like she was addicted or anything, it’s like someone loving ice cream or candy bars or something. “Honey, he’s just trying to figure things out, that’s all.”

I sighed. “Well…..he sucks, so…”

“Rachel—”

I smiled pleasantly. “Aunty, it’s alright. I understand it all.” I grabbed my bag and keys. “I’m going out for a while.”

“Rachel, please stay,” Aunt Moira asked.

I sighed. “I can’t stay in the house, Aunt Moira. Please, understand.”

I didn’t wait for her consent. I practically ran outside and into my car, dialing my phone as I drove, near tears.

“Hello?”

“I miss you so much! I’m sorry I’m such a grudge holding bitch!” I said tearfully. “I need to be with someone right now. Can I come over?”

There was a pause. “Of course you can come over…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, the title is from the most amazing song ever, The Kill(30 Seconds to Mars). Sorry for the short chapter, guys. I'm starting chapter 36 now. I was gonna make this two parts, but what the hell? Ya know? Anyway, I'm in deep shit 'cause David Bowie tore up the last fifteen pages of City of Glass--that was rented from the freaking a library. So, yeah, $30 to fix that problem.
I hate that cat sometimes>>grr

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day(a day early) everyone! I never celebrate Valentine's Day, but I'm going to the movies tomorrow with my friends to see either Valentine's Day or When in Rome--what's better?