Sequel: Say You Remember Me

Say You Love Me Damon Salvatore

Prom Prepping

It’s hard to say, what happened in the days to pass. Mainly I had been the talk of, well, of the week(so far, anyway, let’s hope it’s just a week). Damon had not denied the rumors, like I had, and Juliet pretty much stood me up on telling everyone the truth. We are since not talking. Steph tried settling things down as best as she could, but there was no hope. Everyone wanted to know whether or not Damon and I were an item and if we were going to the prom Friday night. To which I replied, “NO!!” along with a few other colorful words.
Okay, though, I can’t lie about prom. Steph had persuaded me to go and she and Kurt would pick me up. She said nothing about me having a date. So now here we were, Steph and I, looking for my last minute dress. I had decided just to rent a dress. Steph said nothing about it.
“How ‘bout this one?” I took out a plain blue one.
“So far, I’ve said nothing,” Steph began. “But Liv, I have to interject sometime. Not that dress. Get something fancier.”
I smiled. “Okay.”
I started looking at other ones.
“What color, at least, Steph?” I asked, the first time seeking help.
Steph began her search.
“What kind of dress are you wearing?” I asked.
“It’s a surprise,” Steph said with a glint in her eye.
It was going to be so unlike her. Now I had to pick out something exotic. I was just kidding when I took out that dress. Never in a million years would I have seriously picked it out. It wasn’t even one of my favorite colors! It was a baby blue with a sequined bust and it layered down one side, the other exposed a little above the knee cap.
“It’s perfect!” Steph shrieked.
I shook my head, putting it back. “No, I was just kidding. I’m not wearing that.”
“What will you wear?” Steph sighed, plucking out the dress. “At least try it on.”
I sighed, snatching the stupid blue fabricated dress. “Fine.”
It was hard to get on; that should have been my first sign. My hair frizzed up while I was trying it on and everything. It was terrible and it made me feel self conscious. I should never have tried it on; Steph was bound to love it.
Reluctantly, I stepped out, frowning.
Steph’s mouth dropped. “Liv…oh, my God…you look amazing in that! You have to buy it—“
“Rent,” I corrected.
“Oh, Liv, please? You’re so gorgeous in it!”
“It’s too girly,” I mumbled.
“No, it’s not, it’s perfect,” she argued.
“It looks like a ripped Cinderella dress.” I moaned. “I wanted to be invisible.”
“I’m only going to say this once and then I’m done,” Steph warned. “Get a date and you’ll be more…avoidable.”
I shook my head stubbornly. “No way. Besides, no one will go with me.”
Steph looked at her hands.
“No! No, absolutely not!” I nearly screamed.
“It’s just one night, Liv. He won’t kill you,” Steph said pointedly.
“I’m trying to be rid of the rumors, not acquire more! No, I refuse!”
“But you know he’ll go with you and he is really handsome.”
My mouth dropped. “Stephie, no, I will not go to prom with Damon Salvatore. There is absolutely no way!”
“I can be just as stubborn as you, you know,” she pointed out. “I’ll drop the subject if you buy the dress.”
“Rent—“
“Rent the dress,” Steph corrected herself.
I glared at her and sighed. “Fine, I’ll rent the dress.”
Prom is so stupid. Why do people even have to go? Two days away; that’s all I had. I bought shoes for the dumb dress—clear heeled sandals that also had rhinestones on the straps--and made an appointment to get my hair done with Steph, because she forced me. Typical; she gets me to swear to go and then she starts making demands. I knew better than to just give in anyway.
And what if I went with Damon? I just can’t picture him in a tux. Not that I would ever even consider going with him! That was like asking me if I wanted to eat dirt, which I would rather do than go to prom with Damon Salvatore.
I had wanted so badly just to wear my low-top converse to prom, but Steph refused to let me; even buying me the shoes so I wouldn’t be tempted to wear the converse.
She’s picky in every single way a friend can be. But, if I had it my way, I would be a very tacky prom person. Wait, I take that back. If I had it my way, I wouldn’t go to prom.
“How ‘bout this one?” Steph suggested, showing me the Hairstyles magazine.
I stared at the hair style unsurely. A model with her back turned to the camera had her dirty blond hair in a cute messy bun. Cute on her, not on me.
“I don’t know….I was thinking I’ll just straighten it and leave it down…”
Steph snagged the magazine and flipped through the pages once more. “God, you’re so boring. I’ll find something different.”
Steph was scaring me. She was out of character. I guess prom got even the best of us. Since going out with Kurt, Steph had been acting really excited—for her, anyway—and less gothic. I don’t know that I liked it, but I didn’t mind. It was good for her.
“Okay, this one’s perfect, you have to do this,” she showed me the page.
Reluctantly, I looked. “Steph, we’re not getting our hair done until Friday. What’s the….” I gasped, staring at the page. It was half pulled back, twisting, with rhinestone barrettes in it. Worn wavy.
“Okay, I’ll get this,” I decided. “What’re you getting?”
Steph flipped through the pages and pointed. “This.” It was a gorgeous straight do with hair slicked back classily and the bun slightly messy.
“Ooh.” This was getting too much fun, looking at all the crazy hair styles. My cell started buzzing in my pocket. Reluctantly, I took it out and groaned at the number. The principle. “Hello?”
“Rachel Olivia Ashwern, where are you?” my mother demanded.
I sighed. “Looking at stuff for prom, mom. I told you before I left, ‘member?”
Helen gasped. “Honey, you’re going to prom? That’s great! Who’re going with?”
“Kurt Thompson and Stephanie Williams.”
Helen’s voice faltered. “They’re going as a date or you’re with Thompson?”
I almost laughed. “Steph’s with Kurt. I’m going as a tagalong.”
“Did you buy a dress?”
“Rented one. Hey, mom, can we talk about this later? I’ve gotta….go…”
“You’d better show me as soon as you get home.”
“Sure, mom. Bye,” I hung up before she could say another word. Talking about prom with the principle was awkward as all get out.
“Your mom?” Steph asked.
I groaned, nodding. “Yeah, she’s all psyched on me going to prom.”
Steph winced. “Sorry.”
“You should be,” I teased. “I walked into a trap, though. She knows I don’t have a date, so she’ll probably try setting me up.”
Steph was trying not to laugh. “You’re probably right about that.”
“Ugh, thanks for the encouragement.” A sad thought crossed my mind and I couldn’t help voicing it. “I wonder what Juliet’s doing right now….”
“Probably looking for a date,” Steph laughed. “Let’s just get our shopping done, okay?”
I managed a smile. “Yeah, okay.”
“I mean, prom is in four days.”
“Shut up, Steph.”
♠ ♠ ♠
More editing done. Man, I really suck without my beautiful spell check,lol.