Sequel: Say You Remember Me

Say You Love Me Damon Salvatore

I Will Say I Love You

“Oh, the truth hurts, an lies worse. How can I give you anymore? When I love you a little less than before.”

Jewels closed my ITunes window. “Hey!” I protested, sitting up in the couch I was sleeping in. I turned on my laptop and put on some music to wallow in in my own self pity.

“Oh, knock it off,” she scolded. “You don’t love him any less than you did before, okay? You freaking lunatic.”

“I’m not a lunatic,” I whined, throwing the blanket over my head. It was Saturday—the day the band had a gig and I had to let them down—and I just wanted to be left alone.

“Yes—you are.” Jewels threw the covers off my head. I pulled them back up. “Ugh! Fine!” Jewels turned to my laptop.

“What’re you doing?” I asked her, peeping from the blanket.

“If you’re going to listen to music—Miss Self-Righteous—listen to this.” Jewels clicked on a song loudly and Things I’ll Never Say, by Avril Lavigne came on.

I groaned loudly. “Shut up, Juliet! Just stay out of it!”

There was a loud yawn. “What’re you girls arguing about?” Someone opened the refrigerator.

“Quick—Simon, beam her over the head!” I said, sitting up.

Holding the gallon of milk in confusion, Simon asked, “With what?”

“The milk! I don’t care; just knock her out!”

“Well….” Simon took a step forward.

“Simon, don’t you dare!” Jewels shrieked.

“Get her!” I yelled while leaping off the couch and tackling Jewels.

“Ow—you idiot!—Get. Off. Of. Me!” Jewels yelled angrily.

“Get her, Simon!” I laughed, tickling Jewels.

She was struggling not to laugh. “Haha—stop it—aahhaha!—Olivia, stop—bwahahaha!—OLIVIA!”

“What’s going on?” Aunt Moira called from my room. She had taken my bed and Simon had voluntarily taken the air mattress

We all stood up, like innocent children sneaking cookies from the cookie jar. “Nothing.”

Aunt Moira stared at us suspiciously before disappearing into the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

We all smiled at eachother, smothering the giggles that were ready to erupt from our mouths.

I collapsed on the floor, laughing when I heard Can I Have This Dance by Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron. I frowned at my laptop screen. When did that get on there? I glared at Juliet. She gave me a guilty smile. Then I laughed, rolling my eyes. There was a part of me, with the exception of loathing Vanessa Hudgens’ voice, that liked the song. Zac Efron had a very sexy voice. Maybe I could trade my boyfriend for him…..Surely Vanessa would want Damon? After all, every girl did.

But I was just angry because I wasn’t sure that he loved me and now I was in too deep. I grinned evilly and took out my phone to change my voice mail. “What’re you doing?” Juliet asked warily.

I winked. “Just see.” I brought the phone to my mouth and said, “Hey, you’ve reached Olivia Ashwern. Sorry I can’t take your call right now, I’m too busy trying to get my boyfriend to say he loves me. Leave a brief message and I’ll try calling you back! No promises!”

“Rachel!” Aunt Moira scolded. Oops. Forgot she was in the kitchen. “You can’t just do that! It’s deceitful!”

“How is it deceitful?” I asked with a laugh.

“You can’t force him into saying something,” she added. “Give him time. How long have you even been going out? Four weeks?”

My mouth dropped. “Try four months!”

“I’m just saying. You do have a track record of ‘falling in love’ with guys in four weeks,” Aunt Moira added unnecessarily.

I glared at her. People sure knew how to change my mood in five seconds flat. “Screw you!” I shouted without thinking and ran out of the house, driving away in my car with my blue boxer shorts and black tank top still on.

Flashback-

My mother had an arm wrapped around my shoulder as the police walked up to Jeremy’s house. They knocked on the door, addressing who they thought they were looking for, but there was no answer. Now they were going in forcefully. I didn’t know they could do that, but I didn’t care.

After four hours convincing my mother I wasn’t crazy and trying to prove Jeremy was, in fact, a vampire, Helen finally believed me once I showed her the scar and gave her some facts about Jeremy’s behavior. She said she believed me, but I didn’t think she was fully convinced.

Tears welled in my eyes as everything was just overwhelming me. I looked up at my mom, whose lips were pressed firmly together in angry determination. “I’m just going to walk around…”

My mom opened her mouth to protest, but nodded, understanding where I was coming from.

With my arms folded across my chest firmly, I started walking down the sidewalk of the suburban neighborhood. Pressure finally took hold of me, well away from my mother’s eyeshot, and my knees buckled from under me; causing me to collapse in the soft grass, sobbing uncontrollably.

I didn’t see the shadow loom over me. I didn’t hear the footsteps. But I felt the hand take a chunk of my hair and yank my head back. I heard the police sirens go off and the shouting from the cops.

And there was a dark, angry, and slightly amused voice, whispering in my ear, “When I get out—and I will get out—the first thing I’m going to do is make you wish you were dead. And then, after someone you love is dead, I’m going to kill you myself.”

“MOM!” I screamed, crying even more.

Jeremy voluntarily let go of my hair when the cops tackled him, cuffing his hands. I ran to my mom, who held me protectively as I sobbed, watching them load Jeremy in the police car. He was laughing.

Just before the car drove off, Jeremy gave me a secretive smile and mouthed, “Bye, babe”.

Now-

“Thanks,” I said to the cashier, grabbing my bag full of doughnuts and coffee and walking out of the gas station. I drove to this hill, parked, and got out to sit on the hood of my car to nibble at the doughnuts and sip my coffee.

My head was full, even spinning. I was thinking about the day the cops took Jeremy away, the day he promised to kill me. I guess that was going to happen soon since my mother was not in great shape. Doing better, but not out of dark waters yet.

And I was surprisingly calm, maybe even emotionless. If I was by myself for too long, I could get that way. I could detach myself from the world and make death seem like a natural thing. I could make losing my mom and everyone else I loved bearable. I could stare Jeremy in the eyes as he killed me.

And that’s why I made sure I was surrounded by people who knew and loved me. They knew I could be that way, but they would never let that happen.

I loved Aunt Moira. I knew she was disappointed in me when Mom told her about the Jeremy fiasco. But I was also sad that she would say something so hurtful to me. Especially when the worse Damon did was be a vampire. Sometimes it even slipped my mind that he was and it startled me when the realization came back. It startled me because I remembered and that voice in the back of my head was whispering, He’s dangerous.

I didn’t want to be careful with Damon. But I had to be. Sometimes. It was really unfair, sometimes, how much I loved him. While I soared on the wings of eagles with the delight of being in love, I also hated it. It made me girly and it made me vulnerable. I hated being vulnerable. But I was willing to be with Damon because you’re vulnerable with the ones you love, right? And it wasn’t fair to them, or yourself, if you weren’t who you really are around them.

My phone rang inside my car, but I didn’t bother to get it. When it stopped, though, and I thought of my awful voice mail, I jumped off the hood of my car and ran for my phone. Too late. The screen had that annoying ONE NEW MESSAGE sign on it.

“Great,” I muttered, putting the phone to my ears to hear the message.

“Rachel, it’s me, Moira. I was just calling to ask where you were and that…..I’m sorry. I….I wasn’t thinking, I…..Honey, please don’t be angry for too long. After everything that’s going on, I don’t want you to be alone. Please…..just come home.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry, too,” I sighed, going back to the hood to sit, with the phone in my hand. I dialed her back.

“Rachel?”

“Hey, Aunt Moira—wait,” I said when she sighed in relief. “I’m gonna be out a while, but I’ll be home soon. And….I forgive you…..”

Another sigh. “Alright. Thank you…..Olivia.”

I smiled. “See you soon.” I clicked the END button and leaned against my windshield. I began contemplating whether or not to just turn my phone off and let myself think instead of being bothered by that stupid ringtone, which was different for every call, of course.

“What’re you doing way up here?”

I gasped and spun around at the voice, not even thinking of who it wasn’t, just who it could be. I sighed when I saw Damon. “You scared the hell outta me.”

“I could see that,” Damon walked up and stood next to me.

Things were quiet and tense as we stared at the sky, surrounded by the beautiful hills of California.

Finally, I cleared my throat. “So, about last night…”

“Liv, it’s—”

“No, please, let me finish,” I paused, making sure he was listening. He was. He was looking at me with a wary expression, but listening nonetheless. I had a split second thought before spilling my heart out through my mouth that was: Oh God, is this this where I lose him in trying to love him?

I took a deep breath and tried explaining what I was feeling. “I’m sorry for being so distant lately. It’s just….I thought if I did that then maybe you’d see that….Well, it was a girlish attempt to force you into saying what you may or may not feel towards me. But I’m sick of playing by the old fashioned rules of romanticism and I just want to say—I need to say—before it’s too late to say it….” I sighed heavily. “I love you, Damon Salvatore.”

Lots of painful seconds ticked away. Damon’s face was impossibly placid and he continued to stare at me. Finally, he said quietly, “How do you know that?”

He didn’t say it like “Oh, haha, you don’t actually love me” he said it like a man who has women proclaiming their love to him every hour of the day and wanted to know why this girl in front of him loved him.

I let out a shaky breath. I’m not so good at emotionally confrontations. I was dealing with this better than I thought, I mean my legs felt like they would shake right off, but I wasn’t shying away from it, either. I wanted this to happen and I needed this all to be said.

“Well,” I said hoarsely. I cleared my throat. “You’re funny and you’re smart…..You have this way about you that tends to either ward others off or pull them closer….You act like you don’t care when you really care more than one might think…..The way you smile at me just….it makes everything seem okay—and not just because you’re handsome, either.” I wanted him to know I didn’t love him like all the other girls, so I was choosing my words carefully. “You’re fiercely loyal, even though you don’t always show it…And….I’m able to be…vulnerable around you. To be myself. And you don’t hate that. I don’t put on a show around you. I feel able to give myself to you in ways I….couldn’t, in others….And—”

I stopped when Damon held my face gently, smiling at me in a way that made my heart stop. With surprising softness, he leaned down and kissed me. I let my eyes close and my entire body shook like it was the first time I had ever been kissed. Tears welled under my eyelids and I didn’t care if Damon found out I was being emotional.

He didn’t say, “Sure, kid”, he didn’t contradict my honest love for him, he didn’t laugh at me. He just kissed me like….I don’t even know like. But it was impossibly soft and sweet and respectful and…..loving.

I pulled myself closer to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. I wanted to kiss him deeper, but I was just shocked by this foreign kiss that I couldn’t change it. I wanted it to last as long as it could.

A part of me wanted to break away and wait to see if he said he loved me back. But there was no need. I knew he loved me. He could tell me himself in his own time.

Something vibrated in my back pocket and I jumped. I laughed softly when I realized it was my cell phone. I put it to instant voice mail and winced at the thought of them listening to that horrible message. “Sorry,” I murmured.

“For your phone?”

I was about to say yes, but a mischievous smile came to my lips and I said, “No. I was going to add that I loved that you were a vampire and that you were Edward to my Bella.”

We both laughed at that. I sniffed involuntarily, realizing that I had been crying,

Damon wiped away the tears with his thumb gently, smiling and studying my face in an almost mystified way. He looked like he wanted to say something but he didn’t know what.

I pulled him back to me, kissing him. I wanted to see what it was like to make love and not just have sex. I don’t think I’d ever done that before, not how it was supposed to be. I loved Jeremy, but he didn’t love me. I really liked Damon, but I wasn’t in love with him the first time and I didn’t quite realize it the second time.

Well, now we both knew how we felt about eachother.

Damon got it, too. He lifted me gently in his arms and slipped my tank top over my head. He had more clothes on than I did, so it wasn’t exactly fair, but I could really care less. I ran my fingers through his hair and then slipped his shirt off, still unable to stop marveling at his chest.

He laid me on the soft, dewy grass and straddled above me, kissing me slowly and gently. I didn’t rush, though my body instinctively wanted him to. Screw my freaking body, though.

Every time Damon kissed me, I thought I love you. And sex is totally overrated. This was what it was all about. Love.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG, One more chapter, I'm so sad! I'm beating the whole 'sequel' thing into my mind, but I'm still sad to end it-but all this mushy gushy crap comes later. Anyway, I cut this a little shorter than I intended to, but that just means the next and FINAL chapter will be longer(which also means it'll take longer to write) I spent....3 and a half hrs on this one. The close to last part took the longest, I think.

Anyway, I wish I could have made more "excitement" but I'm horrible at writing all that. So you'll just have to live with what I put. *embarrassed*

I would say more, but I have to make brownies

TTFN!