You Had Me Wishing We Were Something

46

Image

"Aubrey!"I heard Shane say as he was running down the stairs. A smile automatically spread on my face.

"Awe I missed you"I said as I hugged Shane.

"I missed you too, you should move back in"Shane said excitedly.

I just laughed at the cute little boy.

"So are we all set to go out to dinner? our reservations are in ten minutes"Mr. O'Callaghan informed.

"Wait, you had all this planned out? along with coming here? Why didn't you tell me?"I said a little hostile.

"Why didn't I know about this either? Dinner? Come on, I have plans"John complained.

"Lets go"Shane said happily.

I sat down at the restaurant table as the over joyous waiter gladly showed us to our seats. I stared down at the table not believing I was here. How could my parents set me up like this? Was it really necessary?

"Aubs I really am happy you are back" Shane said and I looked up at him, noticing that he had taken the seat next to me while of course John was across from me. Should have seen that coming. I mean it just puts the cherry on top of my lovely day.

"I'm happy to be back too in some sense" I smiled lightly at the little boy and then took my menu from the waiter as he had it extended out to me.

I opened my menu and shook my head. I wasn't hungry. I really just didn't want to be here.

I felt my phone vibrate and I took it out of my back pocket, knowing who was texting me and it surprisingly put me in a better mood. I read the cute text Eric had sent me pretty much saying he was going to be at my dorm waiting to see me tonight.

I smiled at my phone and wrote back to his message.

"Aubrey, put that phone away, that's rude" My mom said gently and I rolled my eyes.

"But its Eric"I mumbled.

"I don't care who it is, that's disrespectful" my kind mother informed me and I rolled my eyes again as I slipped my phone back into my pocket.

"Well someone hasn't changed"I heard John say softly as I looked up at him and he seemed lost in the menu, not taking his eyes off of it, even though I knew he knew I was staring at him. God he was attractive. No. That doesn't matter. Hes a jerk. And that does matter.

"Excuse me?"I asked a few seconds later and he just shrugged still not taking his eyes off the menu.

I wanted to just scream. I looked down at the other end of the table at our parents, just chit chatting. Getting along. laughing with each other. It just made me even more mad.

"So John, tell me something about yourself. Hows that band of yours?"I heard my mom ask and I rolled my eyes at her for like the third time that night.

Like she cared about Johns band. I bet if he wasn't the son of her best friend then she wouldn't even take a liking to his presence. My mom is one of those people who believe that having a band isn't a career.

"Its going really well. I love touring and just playing for people that can relate to the songs I write"He said genuinely.

My mom smiled. And I think it was a real smile too. No! I don't want my mom liking the guy that broke my heart over and over and over again!

"I'm glad to hear that"She smiled nodding her head.

"Hey John?"Shane said and I forgot for a second he was even there.

"Yeah bro?"John asked placing his menu on the table.

"Whens your wedding?"

Johns eyes went wide. And I cant say mine didn't either as I looked in shock from Shane to John. He had to obviously be kidding.

John didn't even answer the question, he just looked down.

"Whats going on?"My mom said breaking the awkward silence that had taken over the table

"Oh, well Johns engaged"Cindy said.

"That's wonderful"My dad said and I could tell everyone was looking at me from the corners of their eyes. Even John.

"You're engaged?"I asked looking a John, speaking softly, trying to keep myself from breaking.

He didn't say anything. Just stared deep into my eyes

"To Amber?"I asked knowing I was going to cry. I was gone for like a few months. Come on. This had to be a sick joke.

"Yes"He said looking away from me. "I didn't think you were ever coming back"He added.

"I-I-I have to go"I stuttered as I got up not even waiting for any ones response, just left, almost running out of the restaurant.

As soon as I was out the restaurant doors, I couldn't take it, I sat on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant, put my head in my hands and started crying. How could he? Why would he? He told me he never loved her. He never even dated her. He proposed after a few months? That's ridiculous.

"Aubs"I head him say softly and then I knew he sat down next to me.

"I shouldn't even care. I shouldn't be crying right now"I said as I turned my head and looked at him.

"I'm sorry"He said simply.

"Why did you come out here?"

"I wanted to make sure you were alright"

"I'm a big girl, I can handle myself"

"I didn't mean to propose to her"He said ignoring my comment.

I didn't say anything, I just shook my head,

"She found the ring. The ring that wasn't even meant for her" He said in almost a whisper.

"what?"I asked as I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

" I don't know if I should tell you"He said with a little nervous laugh.

"Just do it. Nothing is going to make me feel any different then I do now"

"How do you feel now?"he asked

"Hurt, jealous,pretty much mad at myself"

"Aubs"

"John just tell me what you re talking about"I said looking away from him at the few cars that were passing us.

"That ring was meant for you"He said quietly.

"What?"I asked looking back over at him "John what are you saying?"

"I was going to propose to you. Stupid right"He said shaking his head, and before I could respond he continued. "I got that ring so long ago. I actually forgot about it. Then just a couple weeks ago, Amber was over. She was helping me clean my closet. She found the ring, and thought I intently asked her to help me she could find the ring and that would be my way of proposing to her. I mean I would never propose to a girl like that. I didn't know what to say when she found the ring. She just go so excited, saying 'yes I will' repeatedly. Then she told her parents and it escalated from there. I was trapped" He said looking down

"I don't even know why I'm so jealous. I mean, I wouldn't have said yes to marrying you even if you asked me."I said finally getting my emotions under control.

looked at John and he looked so hurt. "No John, I did love you, its just I'm to young to get married"

"I knew that. Which was why I never asked you."

"Why would you even buy the ring?" I asked curiously

"I don't know. It was a random impulse. I loved you. I went crazy and ended up in a jewelry store. After I got the ring, I knew it was crazy, but I didn't want to return it."

"Way to ever come after me" I said madness now taking over me as I stood up and he did the same"Way to ever call me"I said and shoved him lightly

"Maybe I wanted to get over you"He said through his teeth "And just so you know, a phone works both ways"
"Get over me. I mean you did do a good job. You succeeded. Tell me how the married life is gonna treat you,okay?"I asked and started to walk away from him.

"You're attitude is definitely something I did not miss"He yelled after me.

"Fuck off John"I yelled back as I took my phone out of my back pocket and called Eric.