‹ Prequel: Mike's Determination

Joey's Depression

Joey's Depression, part 17- 2 deaths, 2 lost loves

"Okay, Joey, stop it right now. You're scaring me," Billie Joe gasped.

Peter bent down next to Michelle. She didn't look physically hurt.

"Only shocked, I guess," Peter thought.

Joey didn't look like he was about to stop and change his mind.

"Joey, you're my son, I'm your dad. Why would you want to do something like that to me?" Billie Joe questioned, not talking his eyes off the pocket knife for a split second.

Joey was gripping the handle of the pocket knife so tight that his knuckles were a ghostly shade of white.

"Excuse me, Joey, but can you give us any valid reasons why you SHOULD kill your father?" Peter interrupted, stepping in between him and Billie Joe.
Joey began, "He's abandoned me for Adelaide, he introduced these Weirdo Mafia who's trying to take away my friends from me, he's... "
"Joey, just shut up! I have something to say, too!" Desi shouted, grabbing him firmly by the shoulders, "I think... no wait... I know I love you! I think you love me too! It's just that this... sign was hidden by everyone else's problems! Just as your love for your dad has been put out of view by everyone else! You may feel you've been torn of your love, but you're just too emotionally blind to see anything!"

Joey's face went a deep crimson-red, and his grip loosened of the blade, as his knuckles turned back to a normal fleshy colour.

"Okay, fine. Goodbye," Joey said hoarsely. He made his way back down the stairs. Desi and Billie Joe followed him shortly afterwards.

That left Peter and Michelle alone together.

"Well I guess the next step is surviving through the dance," He grinned at her.

***

The air was perfect for a high school dance.

Everything was set up perfectly. Millions of flashy, posh lights lit up the place like mini stars piercing the night sky. Platters of appetisers were laid out neatly on stainless steel plates. And to complete the fairytale, many crowds of students packed the place, some in little isolated groups, some individuals were mingling with others, and some students were in couples, soaking up the romantic atmosphere.

Within those couples, there was Peter and Michelle. At that moment they were just talking, sharing a glass of some kind of champagne. Michelle was wearing a sparkly Helsinki-blue gown that traced her body figure perfectly, except for the bottom, which widened to dangle loosely around her legs. Her hair was loose; brushed to a regular style, with her fringe pinned back. Peter was wearing a typical tuxedo.

Desi and Joey were socialising heartily with a few people including a brown-haired, blue-eyed girl that both Michelle and Peter believed to be from a lower grade.

Soon they, too, broke off into a couple.

Desi was wearing an elegant, yet fairly casual, not-overdone black dress, that went down a few inches below the knees. Her hair was done in a neat bun. Joey was also wearing a tuxedo, but a slightly more casual one, compare to Peter's.

These two skanks had a horrendous attempt at singing on the stage, only because the grade 12 who ran the dance that night was dating one of the two whores.

One of the typical slow, Waltz-like dances came over the stereos, and just about everyone broke off into couples and started dancing along with it.

Michelle placed one hand in Peter's, and the other she draped over his shoulder. Peter smiled lightly, gripped her hand tighter and lightly placed his hand down on her hip.

They were going pretty well, until a very familiar figure caught the corner of Peter's eye.

It was Alex.

He immediately had flashbacks of when he told him about his 'plan' on doing that something to Michelle.

Peter leaned over to Michelle's ear and whispered, "Let's go get some more drinks."

Michelle nodded, and together they walked over to the drink table.

Peter kept a sharp look out for Alex.

But he couldn't find him.

Instead he found Tony.

The Weirdo-Mafia dude!

And he was heading right towards them!

Peter thought quickly-
He pulled Michelle against him, and began to make out with her, as Tony came closer.

He passed without any trouble.

Peter pulled away from the kiss first.

Well, that was kinda... " Michelle began.

"Unexpected?" Peter provided.

Michelle nodded, "Yeah."

"How about we get out of here?" Peter suggested.

Michelle nodded.

They made their way to the exit, but were stopped by their maths teacher, Mr Jacobson.

"Why hello Peter, Michelle. Where are you going so fast?" He grinned in his usual deep voice.

"Err," Peter lied, "We were just... going to get some fresh air, that's all."

Mr Jacobson chuckled knowingly, "I've heard that one before. Why don't you get back onto the dance floor and do a little more Waltzing?"

"Now look here. We'd be more than happy to Waltz out way out the door, thanks," Peter ushered, pulling past Mr Jacobson.

But just before the door, they were once again put off their trail, this time by Alex.

"'Ay Petez," Alex greeted.

Peter waved and flashed his friend a smile.

He scanned Michelle up and down a few times,
"Lookin' good," He grinned smugly.

Michelle smiled too, "Er... thanks Alex."

"Okay, Michelle and I should get going," Peter suggested, trying to push past him.

"Not so fast," Alex said, "The dance isn't over yet."

"Well for us it is," Michelle interrupted.

"Oh c'mon... the party's just getting started," Alex pleaded.

"Exactly," Peter whispered discreetly to Alex.

Alex grinned.

"Now we have to go," Michelle demanded, literally pushing past Alex.

She made it past him fine.

But Peter didn't find it near enough as easy.

Michelle made her away outside. It was incredibly freezing.

"So you wanna go back to the car, Petez?" Michelle began, but grew worried when no one replied, "... Peter?"

She basically jumped out of herself when she felt a cold, stiff hand come down on her shoulder.

It was Tony.

"Eww! Get away from me!" She screamed.

"Shh!" Tony gripped, "Shut the hell up! Don't worry, we're not after you!"

He pulled her down to near where her and Peter's car was.

"Well then who are you after?" Michelle quizzed.

"Peter," came the quick reply from Tony.

"Peter? No!" Michelle gasped.

"Oh yeah," Tony nodded, "Now you stay here."

He pinned her up against the car.

"Now, girl," Tony began.

"Michelle," Michelle interrupted.

"Okay, Michelle. Now, look around. Do you see any security guards? Any barb wire fences? Any crazy Mafia dudes?"

Michelle shook her head, "No."

"So what's stopping you from running away?"

"Well... nothing,"

"Exactly. So if you plan on running away, I don't care. I won't chase after you. After all, it's not you who I'm after."

He paused to remove a silver pistol from his pocket, "Oh yeah, and this? Nah, don't worry. There are only three bullets left, and I wouldn't waste one on a scumbag like you. So, if you do run away, Peter's a dead man."

Michelle nodded, "Okay."

Just then, 2 figures emerged from behind the shadows. It was Peter, and Alex.

Tony chuckled a chuckle of delight,
"Time for business."

He aimed the gun at Peter. And within a couple of seconds, he pulled the trigger.

There was a loud gunshot and Peter collapsed to the ground, dead.

Michelle screamed, "You... you dirty fucking twats!"

She grabbed the gun from Tony's grasp,
"I've had enough! If this is how I'll live my life, losing every love I meet, what is there worth sparing?"

She held the gun against her head, and pulled the trigger.

She too, collapsed to the floor, dead.

Well, at least they'd died together.

Lonely was one
Kicked too many times in the crowd.
Held back was the other
He'd never said a word he felt aloud.

So this is what becomes
Of two prisoners meeting?
And a three bulleted gun
And a painful love beating?

Death is an answer
But not the only.
When it is truth you are after
There is no answer lonely.

Gone were Michelle and Peter
Knowing what they'd left.
Knowing faces; down and blue
If stolen satisfaction disintegrates, of it, they would be the theft.

A burden is a beauty
When it's carried on your back.
But do not try and pass it on
Or else your heart will surely crack.