‹ Prequel: Mike's Determination

Joey's Depression

Joey's Depression (Sequel to Mike's Determination)

"What am I supposed to do, then?" Michelle questioned.

"Stay with us. You've got Joey, remember!?" Mike replied. Michelle hesitated.

"Do I really have him? Be honest, Mike, do you really think so?" Michelle questioned.

"Yes. I am being honest. He'd do anything for you. Now his dad's heard him say it with his very own ears, so if you still don't believe me, I could go and ask him," Mike replied,

"Am I right, Joey?"

Joey looked up and Michelle.
***
"Here we are, California," Shaun smiled, unbuckling his seat belt and standing up.

"Yippee," Billie Joe sighed un-enthusiastically.

"Brighten up, Billie. Think of everyone you're gonna see again. You can't tell me that you didn't miss this place," Shaun cheered. They started heading for the plane exit.

"I'm just worried on seeing Joey for the first time since Michelle died," Billie told him.

"Everything will go fine, trust me," Shaun responded, patting his new friend on the back.

"Well, I did miss Mike, and I'm worried about Tre," He reconsidered. They were now in the middle of the lobby and there was a ton of people around. There was bound to be a teenie or two around.

"Let's get out of here," Billie Joe ushered.

Billie felt half relieved, half surprised to feel the warmth of the Californian air once again.

"I'm glad I've moved further away from the Antarctic Circle," Billie Joe laughed, forgetting his worries for a few seconds.

"Geez, I didn't realise it was so hot out here," Shaun gasped, pulling off his woollen knitted jumper, to reveal a pink Slipknot top. Billie Joe felt like he was about to die- someone so nice dressing like that.

"Shaun," He stammered.

"Yes, Billie Joe?" Shaun replied.

***

"Pop goes the weasel," Tre sang from his bed, slightly bopping up and down.

He cringed as yet another spiring out of the mattress broke.

"I just looove these hospital mattresses!" He sarcastically spoke.

Just then, he heard a loud thud, like someone being thrown against a wall. A guy about his age screaming followed shortly.

Tre leaped out of his bed and ran around the corner to see what all the fuss was about.

There he saw a middle-aged guy leaning against the wall, with a familiar face holding him by the collar.

"Oh no, John!" Tre exclaimed.

John dropped the guy, who clumsily fell to the ground.

"Tre. I promised Billie Joe that I'd do something to you," He hissed, cornering Tre up against a wall.

"Where's one of those hot, sexy nurses when you need one!?" Tre complained.

Still John came in closer.

***

"Of... Of course," Joey stuttered, "Of course I care about you!"

"You don't show it," Michelle commented.

"What do you mean?" Joey questioned, "I let you into this house, didn't I?"

"Yes. But you wouldn't hear me out about anything else. You don't care about my side of any story!" Michelle told him sharply.

"Okay, because I don't need it. I understand completely. You slit your wrist because Brad... abused you," Joey knowingly answered.

"You haven't got any of the facts right, Joey," Michelle snorted.

"Okay then, tell me 'your point of view'," Joey demanded.

"See that nail there?" She stated, pointing at the rusty old nail, "I scratched my wrist on that. And Brad? He 'abused' me a month ago, which is the reason for my pregnancy. Although I am worried about my future, I wouldn't cut over it," She explained.

There was an awkward silence; no one dared open their mouth to say anything.

"Hang on, a minute. The last time I checked, there wasn't a single loose nail in my bed," Joey recalled.

***

"That shirt... " He stretched.

"Yes... " Shaun smiled.

Billie Joe paused to think, "How low can get, judging someone on their clothing style."

"... Rocks!!" He giggled slightly.

"Why thanks! Now come on, you wanna see everyone again, don't you!?" Shaun ushered, grabbing Billie by the hand and leading him onto the footpath of a busy main road.

"Shaun! I'm not supposed to be here without a disguise on!" Billie exclaimed.

"C'mon, as soon as everyone sees you with me, they'll immediately think that you're just another unknown dude," He responded.

"TAXI!" He called. Soon enough, a taxi pulled over next to them. Shaun led Billie Joe in.

"Where are you gonna stay while you're in California?" Billie Joe questioned.

"Oh I don't know. Just maybe a hotel, I guess," Shaun replied.

"You can stay with me. My family won't mind. You seem like a nice enough person," Billie offered.

"Oh my god, really? You would let me stay with you?" Shaun gasped.

"Yeah, sure. Why not?" Billie Joe shrugged.

***

"Okay John, there's no need for violence," Tre shivered, trying to compromise with John.

John stayed silent, but he still walked in closer.

"S...STAND BACK! I'M NOT REALLY TRE COOL! I'M A VAMPIRE AND I HAVE COME TO SUCK YOUR DRUMMING BLOOD!!" Tre hissed, holding his hands up in a spooky way and trying to make his teeth look like fangs.

"You're only making matters worse, Cool," John gripped.

"Cool? Oh yeah, we're cool. Can't we just be friends? It's cool with me, cool?" Tre ushered, holding out his hand, hoping that John would give in and shake his hand and they all could kiss and make out...

"J... John. I... I LOVE YOU!" He said in his most girly voice holding his arms out just before wrapping them around John, then giving him a nice, romantic kiss on his left cheek, which hadn't been shaven for days.

"Eww! Gross! Cool!! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" John spat.

"I thought we were cool," Tre muttered innocently.

"Well we're not! Don't you see I'm trying to kill you!?" John exclaimed.

"Oh."

***

Billie Joe cautiously made his way up to the door of his house, and rang the doorbell.

A few seconds later, Mike appeared at the door.

"Oh hey, Billie," He said, trying to sound happy.

"Hey Mike! I'm back!" He giggled happily.

"And who's this?" Mike questioned, half-throwing a hand and Shaun.

"This is Shaun, my new friend!" Billie Joe exclaimed, patting Shaun on the back.

"Hi... Shaun... " Mike slowly blurted, staring down at his Slipknot t-shirt in disgust.

"Hi... Mike, is it?" Shaun bubbled.

"No, Billie called me Mike because my name is George," Mike felt like saying, but saying aloud a polite,

"Yes."

"Cool," Shaun grinned.

"Who is it, Mike!?" Joey called from the hallway.

"Err... no one, Joey!" Mike called back.

But it was too late. Joey stood there, a frozen look on his face.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" He breathed.

"I came home!" Billie Joe smiled.

There was silence.

"So can we come in?" Shaun questioned.

"Oh, sure, yeah," Mike nodded, stepping aside from the doorway to let the two in.

"I don't like this guy," His whispered to Joey as they headed into the kitchen.