Granting A Broken Wish

001/001

My sister always carried a balloon with her. Not once had I seen her without one. Once I asked her about it and she simply said 'because it makes me feel like I can fly'. I never asked her again.

My sister was always a fairly sick girl. She grew up most of her life staying in bed or at home. My parents never let her get out much. They didn't want her to have any problems.

Charlotte had always just nodded her head and went into her room. I had always thought she actually stayed in her room but she never did.

The first time I found out that my sister wasn't obeying our parents rules it was because I had come in one night to find her bed empty. Being as I was the older sister I went out looking for her.

I found her in the park. At the top of the slide. Staring at the stars. I had rushed to the top and had asked her what she thought she was doing. The response was something I had never expected.

"Amy have you ever wondered how the stars got up in the sky? If they were the lost souls of people already left us? I have. And I've always wondered if I die would I become a star. Would people look up at me and see me shining brighter then ever and know it was me? Would they even stop to think? I hope they will. I want to be stared at and wished upon, and I want to grant those wishes. To make those people's lives the best they could ever be. I don't want anyone to have to live the way I have. It's no way to spend your life Amy. It shouldn't even be an option. That's why I'm here. That's why I didn't do what our parents told me to. That's why I choose to come here in the middle of the winter. To look at the stars and wonder. Wonder why I am still living here, wonder why I was even born."

It left me shaken to tell you the truth. My younger sister had just told me she was willing to risk her life just so she could have a fairly normal life. I knew why she wanted it. She had been locked up most of her life so she had every reason to want to live. It was her right to want to. I just couldn't beleive she was so out of it when she still had so much left. She had a future.

A few months passed and it was the same as it had been since that night. Charlotte would tell our parents she was going to bed, go to her room shut the door and climb out the window. I was the only one who ever seemed to notice, or for that matter care, about her anymore. I had no idea where our family had gone.

Dad had a new job as an assistant manager and it was keeping him at the office most of the time. Mom had gone back to school to try an get a good job when she was done. Our older brother Dylan was in his senior year of high school so he was out most of the time.

By the time I was 17 my sister had gotten more and more restless, going out at all times of day and just wondering around town. No one stopped her anymore.

Our parents had split three years prior after mom found out he was sleeping with his secretary. It hadn't come as much of a shock to any of us, it was bound to happen. Dylan was now 23 years old and had a wife and a baby boy on the way. I was happy for him. We all were.

I hadn't given much thought to what my sister had told me 5 years ago, it hadn't seemed to be a problem anymore. She seemed happier to say the least. I never thought of what it would be like if she was gone anymore. She seemed to be getting better, like her sickness had finally left her alone.

I found out on March 31st. My sister had gotten worse. She had hidden it from everyone by going out all day. But that day, she hadn't gotten out of the door. My mother was on her way to work and she had found her. She was breathing but it was very shallow and she weighed less then 90 pounds.

I sat at her bedside in the hospital every day she was there. All she did was sleep. Sleep and be fed through a tube in her mouth. It was heartbreaking to see her like this. I honestly thought that she was doing better and this had just proved that all of my thoughts about her were wrong. I just wanted her to be like she was when we were younger. I just wanted to see that balloon with her again.

Charlotte had gotten out about a week later. She was told to stay in bed and for once in her life she actually obeyed. I just hoped she was going to get better for good this time.

On the last day of my third year of high school I decided to come home awhile earlier then I normally did. To see Charlotte before I left for the summer. Walking through the door I noticed a certain air about the house. It didn't feel as welcoming as it normally did. It felt, dead.

I walked up the stairs and towards Charlotte's room. The door was slightly ajar so I pushed it open. My mouth went dry at the site I saw in front of me. My sister was lying in her bed paler then she normally was. I rushed to her side and grabbed her hand.

"Charlotte? Charlotte!"
She opened her eyes slowly and looked up at me.
"Amy. Hi. How are you?"
"That's not important right now. How are you?"
"I'm fine. Really. Why?"
"Your so cold." I could feel tears begin to brim my eyes.
"Amy. Amy, calm done. It's fine, it's all going to be okay."
"No it's not. Your going to die!"
"We're all going to die eventually Amy."
"But you shouldn't! Your not supposed to! Your supposed to stay here. With me."
"Amy do you remember when I told you I wanted to be a star? When I said i wanted to grant people's wishes when I died?"
"Of course I do."
"I'm getting my wish Amy. I'm going to become a star."
The tears started to pour out of my eyes freely now.
"Promise me one thing."
"What's that?"
"You won't feel sorry for me."
"What?"
"I mean it Amy. You have to move on. Don't let me hold you back."
"Al-Alright."
"Thank you."
"I love you Charlotte."
"I love you too Amy."

I felt her pulse slow. I knew it was time. I didn't want to beleive it though. I wanted it all to be a dream. But it wasn't.

"Goodbye Charlotte." I whispered just before her pulse slowed and stopped.

We had the funeral two weeks later. All of our family came and a few of our close friends. Dylan had left his wife and newborn son at home. He didn't want them to see him bury his little sister. I could understand that. No one should have to see this. No one.

She had left me a letter. A simple letter. Telling me to just beleive. I cried for a week.

It had been about a year since Charlotte died and we had her funeral. I still dreamed about her every night. I missed her so much. My mom had told me I needed to clean her room out. She said it wasn't doing her or anyone else any good having to see her old stuff. I agreed to clean it for her.

I had gotten to the back of her closet when I found it. It was a note with a balloon attached to it. It was addressed to me.

Amy,
I don't know how long it has been since I've died. A week, a month, a year. No matter how long it's been I want you to do something for me. I want you let this balloon go at the park. You know the one I mean. I know you do. It's the one thing I never got to do. And I know your the only one who would know why I need it. Thank You Amy. I love you.


This was no time to be crying I had to do what she asked. I grabbed the balloon and some string to tie it with. I went downstairs told mom I would be back soon and went my way to the park.

I sat at the top of the slide and stared up at the sky. It was just staring to get dark out and stars were beginning to show.

"Hi Charlotte." I whispered up.

I grabbed the balloon and blew it up with air then tied the string on to it. It was time.

I let it go and watched it rise up into the air.
"Don't worry Charlotte, your not falling. Your flying!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it. ^_^