They Aren't Supposed to Do This

But They Do

Curling up on my best friend's couch, I let out a sob.

I heard her click her tongue, "Oh, Adria."

I sighed, "Dems, it isn't supposed to be like this. I'm not supposed to be like this. He's just supposed to be a guy I hook up with sometimes!" I ended my speech with a sob.

"I guess it's true, Jonas Brothers break hearts all over," she said, stroking my hair.

I groaned, "Do you know how stupid I felt, walking backstage to see him, and I see Camille Belle all over him?! Jesus, I wasn't supposed to fall in love with him!"

She sighed, "Love, you can't help who you fall for."

I snorted, "He didn't make that any easier. That asshole. Knowing just the right way to kiss me."

She smiled, "What happened when you ran out?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. I came straight here."

She sat with me silently, for a few more minutes, until someone knocked on the door.

She sighed, "I'll be right back, hun."

I nodded and stayed on the couch. She came back quickly.

"Who was that?" I asked.

She sat down on the couch, "It was Joe. I told him you didn't want to see him."

I shot off the couch, "Why would you say that?"

I ran out of her door and saw him down the street. I screamed out his name, and anyone with ears could hear the pain in my voice.

He turned around and saw me standing in the middle of the street.

"Adria!" his voice rang out clear and strong through the empty street.

He ran toward me as I walked quickly in his direction.

We stopped with a few feet of space between us.

"Adria, why'd you leave?" he asked, "You know I always want you at our show."

"Because," I said, trying not to cry, "I couldn't sit there with her all over you. Anyone with eyes can tell there's something between us, Joe, physically or emotionally."

He sighed, "I know, Adria, but did you notice how I can't be away from you?"

I choked on a sob, "Joe, you have her. And I can't be the other girl anymore."

His eyes widened, "Don't say that. Please."

I shook my head, "Joe, you picked her. You can't have your cake and eat it, too."

"With all due respect, Adria, I got a taste of you, and I can't let you go," he said.

I shook my head, "You can't have just a taste. Its either all or nothing."

"Don't make me choose," he begged, "Please."

"Its not fair to string us both along, especially when she doesn't even know! Joe, you're playing with two girl's hearts right now, and mine can only take so much!" I shouted.

His eyes narrowed slightly, "You and me are no strings attached."

I laughed humorlessly, "Silly me, I must have fell for you during this fucking affair. It must have been the combination of how you kissed me and how you acted like you care!"

"I knew this was a mistake," he said quietly.

My jaw dropped, "Did you really just say that?!"

He looked at me helplessly, "Yeah, because somewhere along the way, I fell for you, too."

He was walking closer to me, "Joe," I whispered.

He put his hands on my hips, "It must've been the way you cling to me and the little whimpers you make when I pull out of--"

I whimpered, "Joe."

His grip on my hips tightened, "That one."

I put my hand on his cheek, "I thought you didn't like clingy girls."

He smiled down at me, "I said I like when you cling to me, like when I kiss you."

"A-are you gonna show me what you mean?" I asked in a shaky voice.

He smiled down at me and leaned in, his lips a breath away.

"I wanna compare your kiss to hers."

I shook my head, anticipation curling in my stomach, my knees weak at having him so close, "I don't care what you're comparing, just kiss me."

"When you whisper like that, it sends shivers down my spine," he said quietly.

I smiled slowly, "When your body is pressed against mine, my knees go weak."

He looked into my eyes, "I'm going to kiss you. It might be our last. Will you make it good?" he asked.

I put my other hand on his bicep, "Just kiss me."

He smiled and pressed his lips to mine. He sucked on my bottom lip as our tongues danced. I ran one hand through his hair as my nails dug into his skin on my other hand. I felt rain falling, but instead of pulling away, I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my body to his. I felt his grip even tighter on my hips and I almost lost my breath. He picked me up, wrapping my legs around his waist, and a few minutes later, I felt my back hit a hard surface.

I pulled away and saw that I was pressed against the side of Demi's house, "Joe," I said breathlessly.

He was leaving a trail of kisses down my neck, "What?"

"Look at me," I whispered.

He looked up at me, "Yeah?"

"You know you can't kiss me like that, then pick her, right?" I said, still out of breath.

He kissed my cheek, rested his forehead against mine, his lips dangerously close to mine.

"What if I said I wanted another kiss?" he whispered.

I smiled, "The paparazzi would love to catch a Jonas Brother like this."

He grinned evilly, "They would also love to find a Jonas Brother with you."

I was very aware of how close his mouth was.

I smirked, "The world would be so interested to find out how amazing it feels when you fuck--"

My sentence was cut short by his lips on mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck again and pressed our bodies so tightly together that we'd feel every move the other made. He shifted his hips, and I gasped into his mouth.

I pulled away again, "Has she ever kissed you like that?"

He shook his head, "Never. And now that I've been kissed like that, I don't think I can go back to her."

I smiled, "So, you're mine?"

He grinned and pressed our lips together, "Absolutely. It wasn't supposed to happen like this, but I'm damn glad that it did."