‹ Prequel: Full Moon
Sequel: Starless Night

Black Sun

The Other Path

The night passed by slowly, I didn't sleep but listening to Jacob sleep almost made me feel like I was in a dream, and when he was awake I would be awakened with him. His warm hand was blazing how against my chest, where had had been lying it for the past months, to keep me safe and maybe even letting himself know that I was there and wasn't going anywhere. I carefully moved his hand off my chest, got out of bed, slipped on a t shirt, and walked out the room. I heard voices almost immediatly, it was the queen talking to Micah in a room close by. I stopped just outside the door to listen in.

"How can you be so trusting of that boy?" asked Micah confused.

"It's his eyes, Micah. They do not show up golden, black, or even red. His eyes stayed his natural color, he possesses something none of us do" said the queen, I heard Micah move swiftly, I froze but he didn't come to the door.

"He is an obination to us all, he is in love with that wolf"

"Exactly, he is in love. Something none of us have ever done before. That wolf, as you so call Jacob, is there for him, he protects him, he will even kill the Cullens for him"

"But the treaty, but the way of life"

"Things change, Zeek is going to rule over all of the vampires soon. It is his destiny, you tell him how his future is not set in stone but it is. He was meant for this, he was meant to even be in love with Jacob" said the queen sweetly.

"But his future is without Jacob, why are we going to sit here and let him fall for someone he is just going to lose. It will distract him" said Micah with a sigh.

"Micah, maybe the glimpse of the future wasn't exactly correct" said the queen then someone grabbed Zeek and pulled him into a nearby empty room, Zeek looked up to see Emmett looking at him curiously.

"What are you doing?" asked Emmett confused.

"I was eavesdropping, well I was until you rudely pulled me into a bathroom" I said rolling my eyes.

"You can't listen to the queen like that, what if she would have caught you"

"Then she would have caught me, and I could make them think they never saw me remember, my power and all"

"Real smart, use your powers on the queen. Are you stupid?" asked Emmett, I looked at him with anger in my eyes.

"I am what you made me" I spat back.

"I saved your life, because Jacob asked me too and because I wanted to. Do not push this in my face now"

"Emmett, look at what I have become. I am about to be ruler of the vampires, I have some power that no one knows about. I have a future that may not include Jacob"

"You don't know that for sure, the future is not set in stone, Zeek" said Emmett.

"He is right, you know" came a female voice, we both turned to see the queen standing in a doorway, "your future is not set in stone"

"But the vision I saw" I started when she held up her hand to stop me.

"Just because you didn't see Jacob there does not mean he was not" said the queen with a smile, "you are special, Zeek. Emmett did what your lover told him to do, to save you"

"But when he did, it's going to get you killed" I said, she just smiled.

"That is destiny, each of us have a path. Yours as a vampire is different then yours as a human. What if I showed you that path, Zeek. Showed you what it would be like if you were human, if the fight with the Cullens ended in you being ok and not having to be changed" said the queen, I slowly looked at Emmett and then nodded, she clapped her hands. The world around me went dark, when it was light again, I was lying on Jacob's bed a hot arm was wrapped around my waist. I looked over only to see that it wasn't Jacob, but Paul instead. This was not right, I shook him awake.

"Where is Jacob?" I asked frantically, Paul looked at me sadly.

"Zeek, Jacob is dead" said Paul, I just stared at him confused and sad.