‹ Prequel: Disregard the Lies

Do I Dream Again

Sjutton

“Thanks for coming with me,” Sadie said, looking over at Jonathan as they waited for Sophia’s class to get over with. Kyra had a doctor’s appointment for the baby, so Sadie had offered to pick up Sophia for her. Jonathan had told her he would tag along, wanting to spend time with both of them.

“Of course,” Jonathan told her. “I want to spend as much time with you as possible now because in just a few weeks the preseason’s going to start, and I won’t be able to see you as much. Besides, I haven’t spent time with Sophia for a while, so how could I say no to the two of you?” he asked with a smile.

Sadie opened her mouth to say something when Sophia suddenly ran up to the two of them. “Sadie! Fabio!” she yelled, and Jonathan stared at her.

“You’ve spent too much time with Kristina,” he told her.

“Where’s Mommy?” she asked, ignoring Jonathan’s comment. Sadie and Jonathan looked at each other, trying to figure out how they should answer. Kyra and Henrik hadn’t told Sophia that Kyra was pregnant, planning on telling her after the doctor’s visit today.

“Umm…” Sadie trailed off. “You mom had to go to the doctor,” she replied honestly.

“Is she sick?” Sophia inquired.

“No, she’s not sick,” Jonathan answered.

“Then why’d she go to the doctor?” Sophia questioned.

“Sophia, your mom’s just fine,” Sadie assured her. “Hank’s with her right now, and you’ll see them later on today. Jon and I thought we’d take you out for ice cream,” Sadie told her. “How does that sound?”

Sophia nodded her head quickly. “I love ice cream!” she said excitedly.

“Well, let’s go then,” Jonathan said as Sophia held her hand out, which he immediately took, and the three of them made their way out to the car.

As they drove to the ice cream parlor, Sophia suddenly asked, “So, Hank’s with Mommy right now?”

Sadie turned around from the passenger’s seat to look at Sophia. “Yeah, he is,” she told her, wondering why she had suddenly brought that up. “Why?”

“That means he’ll keep her safe,” Sophia answered. “From Lance,” she added, and Sadie looked at Jonathan, both of them realizing how scared of Lance Sophia still was. “Hank said he’d keep me and Mommy safe.”

“Soph, Lance isn’t going to get you or your mom,” Jonathan told her.

“Not if Hank is there,” Sophia said. “I like Hank. I’m glad he’s with Mom.”

Sadie glanced over at Jonathan, smiling. “We’re all glad Hank’s with your mom,” Sadie told her. “So, what kind of ice cream do you want?” she asked, changing subjects.

“Chocolate!” Sophia exclaimed, forgetting all about Henrik and her mother.

***

Kyra sat in the waiting room, her foot impatiently tapping against the floor. “Why are you so nervous?” Henrik asked her, grabbing her hand, trying to calm her down.

“I don’t know,” Kyra admitted. “How do you think Sophia’s going to take the news?” she asked suddenly. “We are going to tell her when we get out of here, right?” she asked, and Henrik nodded his head. “How do you think she’s going to react?”

“I think she’s going to be happy that she’s going to be a big sister,” Henrik said. “Kyra, you can’t worry about that right now. You’re getting yourself all worked up, and that can’t be healthy for you or the baby,” he told her.

“You’re right. I can’t worry about that right now,” she repeated just as a nurse came out and called Kyra’s name. She and Henrik both stood up, following the nurse back to the exam room. She quickly took some of Kyra’s vital signs before shutting the door behind her, telling Henrik and Kyra that the doctor would be in shortly.

Moments later, the door opened once again, and a middle-aged woman walked through the door, smiling. “Kyra Rivers?” she asked, and Kyra nodded her head. “Hello, I’m Dr. Marian Clear,” she introduced herself, sticking her hand out for both of them to shake. “Are you the father?” she asked, looking at Henrik.

“Yes, I am,” he answered.

“Good!” Dr. Clear exclaimed. “It’s always great to see the father get involved in the pregnancy!” she said before she began talking to Kyra about her pregnancy. She told her what to expect and how often she needed to come back for checkups amongst other things. “Any questions?” she asked after going over everything and telling her that the next time she came back they would do an ultrasound to see the baby.

“Not right now,” Kyra answered. “I’m sure once I get home I’ll have a bunch of questions, though.”

“Well, you can call me with whatever questions you have,” Dr. Clear told her. “It was great meeting both of you.”

“You, too,” Henrik and Kyra said at the same time as they exited the room.

***

Kyra and Henrik walked towards the door of Kyra’s apartment, and they could hear laughter coming from inside. Kyra turned the door handle, opening the door to see Sophia on the floor laughing, being tickled by Jonathan. Sophia looked up to see Kyra and Henrik walking through the door, and she exclaimed, “Mommy! Hank!”

Jonathan stopped tickling her, allowing her to get up and run over towards them. “Are you okay, Mommy? Sadie said you went to the doctor today.” Kyra looked over Sophia’s head at Sadie, who simply shrugged her shoulders, letting Kyra know that she didn’t know what else to say to Sophia.

“I’m fine,” Kyra assured her.

“Hank kept you safe, didn’t he?” Sophia asked, looking between Kyra and Henrik. “Just like he said he would.”

“Yeah, he did,” Kyra smiled, grabbing Henrik’s hand. “Sophia, sweetie, why don’t you sit down? Hank and I have something we need to talk to you about,” Kyra said, guiding Sophia over to the couch.

“We’re going to get going,” Sadie told Kyra, as she and Jonathan walked towards the door. “Call me later, okay?” she asked.

Kyra nodded her head before turning back towards Sophia. “Am I in trouble?” Sophia asked, trying to figure out what she had done to get her into trouble.

“No, Soph,” Kyra told her. “Um, Hank and I have some news for you,” she said, looking up at Henrik, wondering the best way to go about telling Sophia that she was pregnant.

“What?” Sophia asked.

“Sophia,” Henrik began when he realized Kyra didn’t know what to say. “Your mom’s going to have a baby, and you’re going to be a big sister,” he said, figuring the best thing to do was to tell her the truth straightforward.

“Mommy, I’m going to be a big sister?” Sophia asked Kyra.

“Yeah,” Kyra nodded, a smile on her face. “Hank and I are going to have a baby,” she explained. “Do you want to be a big sister?”

“Yeah!” Kyra said excitedly. “Am I going to get to help take care of it?”

“Sure,” Henrik told her.

“Cool!” Sophia said. “Can I watch tv now?” she asked.

“Sure, sweetie,” Kyra said, and Sophia promptly grabbed the remote control next to her, turning the channel to some cartoons.

Kyra walked into the kitchen with Henrik following her. “Well, that went better than I imagined,” she told Henrik.

“I told you there was nothing to worry about,” he said, giving her a quick kiss. “You’re going to have to stop stressing out so much. It’s not good for you or the baby.”

“Have I ever told you how sexy I think it is that you’re so protective of me and the baby?” she asked him, wrapping her hands around his neck and kissing him hard on the mouth.

“Kyra,” Henrik groaned, pulling away from her slightly. “Sophia’s in the other room.”

“And how protective you are of Sophia. I love you,” she told him.

“I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a boring chapter.
Hopefully the next one will be better.
Comments???