‹ Prequel: Disregard the Lies

Do I Dream Again

Fem

Getting to Jonathan’s condominium seemed to take ten hours instead of ten minutes. Sadie and Jonathan couldn’t seem to keep their hands off of each other. By the time they had reached the door to his condo, Jonathan had his lips on hers again, as he reached into his pocket to get his key out. He struggled to get the key in the lock as he was distracted with Sadie’s lips on his neck, but he finally succeeded in opening the door.

They stumbled inside, and Jonathan reached around Sadie to shut the door. He kissed her again, his lips on her mouth, down her jaw line and to her neck. Sadie gasped as she reached down to the bottom of his shirt, pulling on it to try to get it off. He pulled apart long enough to get the shirt off before he kissed her collar bone, sucking ever so slightly.

He began unbuttoning her shirt slowly, but Sadie wasn’t satisfied as she simply pulled the shirt over her head, leaving her standing in her bra. Jonathan admired her body before she kissed him again, unbuckling his belt. Jonathan guided her towards the bedroom, not wanting to stay in the living room too much longer. He needed to get her to his bed.

By the time they had reached his bedroom, Sadie had discarded her pants, leaving her in her bra and underwear, while Jonathan was just in his boxers. “Are you sure?” Jonathan asked, looking deep into her eyes. Sadie nodded her head, a small smile on her face, as she pulled on the elastic waistband of his boxers.

***

Sadie smiled to herself as she slowly opened her eyes the following morning, feeling the warmth and comfort of Jonathan’s arms wrapped around her. She turned over so she was facing him to see that he was wide awake, staring at the ceiling. “What are you thinking about?” she asked him softly.

He turned to look at her, a serious expression on his face. “I have a confession,” he told her, and Sadie got chills from his words, thinking that what was to come next could only be bad news.

“What?” she asked cautiously.

“I have a girlfriend,” he blurted out.

Sadie’s eyes went wide, and she immediately pulled out of his grasp. “What?” she cried, unable to believe what he had just told her. “No, you can’t,” she said, shaking her head as she quickly got out of bed, trying to find her abandoned clothes from the night before.

“I’m sorry,” Jonathan said.

“You’re sorry?” Sadie yelled as she pulled her bra and underwear on. She walked down the hallway, trying to find her shirt and pants. “You’re sorry? How the hell could you tell me you love me and sleep with me when you have a girlfriend?” she questioned, finding her pants bunched up in the corner. She picked them up, shuffling into them. “Jonathan, I told you exactly how I felt,” she stated, trying to keep the tears at bay. “I told you that I love you. And, you told me the same thing. Why? Why did you say it when you obviously didn’t mean it?”

“I did mean it,” Jonathan interrupted her.

Sadie’s eyes widened in disbelief. “Do you hear yourself?” she asked. “Jonathan, you just told me you have a girlfriend!” she cried.

“I do have a girlfriend,” Jonathan said softly. “I didn’t think you and I would ever get back together,” he tried defending himself. “So, I decided to start dating again. But, Sadie, I didn’t lie to you yesterday. I do love you,” he insisted.

“How long?” Sadie asked, ignoring him.

“What?” he asked, confused.

“How long have you been going out with her?” she clarified.

“A couple of weeks,” he admitted.

“Oh my God,” Sadie said, looking around the living room for her shirt. She finally found it, tossed over the couch. She snatched it up, hurriedly putting it on. “Oh my God,” she repeated. “I think I’m going to be sick. I’m the other woman. I’m the one thing I promised myself I’d never be.”

“Sadie,” Jonathan called out, trying to calm her down. He reached out to put his hand on her shoulder, but she promptly moved out of the way.

“Don’t touch me,” she ordered. “In fact, don’t ever talk to me again. I can’t believe you,” she said, shaking her head in disgust as she backed away from him towards the door. “I never thought you would turn out to be this type of guy. The type that cheats on his girlfriend. I can’t believe it.”

“Sadie, I’m sorry,” he began.

“I don’t want to hear it,” she interrupted, grabbing her purse and walking out of his condominium, slamming the front door behind her. As soon as she stepped outside, she sighed to herself, realizing she had left her car at Kristina’s in her and Jonathan’s quick exit to get to his condominium.

Embarrassed, but not knowing what else to do, she grabbed her phone out of her purse, dialing Kyra’s number. “So, Kristina called me asking me if I’d heard from you because apparently your car’s still at her place,” Kyra said without so much as a greeting to begin with. “So, I’m guessing you and Jon made up?” she asked.

“Kyra, can you come pick me up?” Sadie asked, cursing her tears for betraying her as they slid down her cheeks.

“Sadie, what happened?” Kyra asked worriedly. “Where are you?”

“I’m about a block from Jon’s,” she replied, furiously wiping away the tears. “I’m at 57th street.”

“I’m coming right now,” she told her. “What happened?” she inquired.

“I’ll tell you when you get here,” she assured her.

Ten minutes later, Sadie was sitting in the passenger’s seat in Kyra’s car as Kyra stared intensely at her, waiting on an explanation. When Sadie remained silent, Kyra said calmly, “Would you care to explain what happened? Why did I have to come pick you up?”

“Because I left my car at Kristina’s,” Sadie responded.

“Sadie, you know that’s not what I meant,” Kyra told her, pulling away from the curb and going back to Kristina’s apartment so Sadie could get her car.

“Where’s Sophia?” Sadie asked, looking around the car.

“She’s at ballet,” Kyra answered. “Tell me what happened.”

“Fine,” Sadie sighed, launching into the entire tale of what had happened, starting with what had occurred at Kristina and Val’s apartment and ending with Jonathan’s confession. When she had finished, they were sitting in the parking lot next to Sadie’s car. “Are you going to say anything?” she asked, looking up at Kyra.

“I am going to kill that son of a bitch,” she muttered.

“No!” Sadie protested. “This is just as much my fault as it is his,” she told her.

“You are not the one who is dating someone on the side. I swear to God,” Kyra began.

“Please, let me handle my own problems,” Sadie begged.

“Sadie, you’re my best friend, and I’m not going to let you handle everything on your own. I’m sorry I’ve been pushing for you and Jon to get back together. You don’t deserve this. And, I am going to make him pay,” Kyra promised her.

“Just, can you please let it go?” Sadie requested. “Please? I just want to forget about it,” she said, pulling on the door handle.

“Are you going to be okay to drive home?” Kyra asked, noticing the tears in her friend’s eyes.

“I’ll be fine,” Sadie assured her. “I’ll call you later,” she said, getting out of the car and making her way over to her own. She started it up and waved goodbye to Kyra as she pulled out of the parking spot.

***

Kyra knew she couldn’t just let go of what Jonathan had done to Sadie. She shook her head in anger as she left his condominium. She had been knocking on his door for the past five minutes, and he either wasn’t home or he was intentionally not answering, knowing Kyra was going to kick his ass. She tried to think of where else he would be right now, and she began driving to the first place she could think of.

Fifteen minutes later, she found herself knocking on Henrik’s front door, hoping to find Jonathan there. Henrik opened the door, a smile on his face. “This is a nice surprise,” he told her, but when he saw the frown stay on her face, he knew this wasn’t going to be a happy visit.

“Is Jon here?” Kyra questioned.

“No, why?” Henrik asked as Kyra pushed him out of the doorway so she could enter. “Kyra, he’s not here. I promise. Why are you looking for him?”

“I’m planning on hurting him in every single way I can think of, starting with kicking him in the groin to make sure he can’t use that body part for a while,” she answered seriously.

Henrik’s eyes widened at her statement. “Kyra, what’s going on?”

“Sadie and Jon made up last night. And, then they went back to his place, and they slept together. When Sadie woke up this morning, apparently Jonathan had a guilty conscience. Because he confessed to her that he has girlfriend right now,” she said, giving him the short version of what Sadie had told her.

“Oh,” Henrik said.

Kyra quickly looked up at him, her eyes narrowing accusingly. “You knew, didn’t you?”

“What?” Henrik asked.

“You knew that Jonathan has a girlfriend, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, I did,” he answered quietly.

“I’m moving on to you as soon as I’m finished with Jonathan,” she promised, her eyes filled with anger.