Handsome Devil in My Nightmare

Handsome Devil In My Nightmare

The strumming vibrations filled my ears, matching the rhythm of my heartbeats, as I walked down the eerie hallway. Each step that I took closer to the door at the end of the hallway seemed like an eternity.

With the further distance I got from where I was previously standing seemed like it only filled with terrifying air. It was like something was following me down the hallway pushing me through the hallway as I walked.

As I edged closer to the door, the space behind me filled with several choruses of haunting screams. I turned my head to face what was behind me but the space behind me was pitch black. The area I was standing in had disappeared in the darkness but the screams continued.

My eyes widened when I saw a shadow coming closer to me. I felt petrified in my spot and I couldn’t find the strength to move myself to get away from it as it crept closer. But there was something about the shadow coming towards me, it was beginning to transform into something else.

What I believed was the head of the shadow soon turned into the one man that I was scared to death of.

Darren.

He still had his famous smirk across his lips that he always used right before he broke me. Fear held me immobilized as he crept near me and I screamed out when I saw his hand coming out to grab me. I was terrified that he would hurt me again but what scared me the most was his hand was missing the skin and all that was there was bone.

I broke my gaze from his flesh deprived hand to look back to see his face was no longer there and it was a skull in its place. The shadows that enveloped him wrapped around him in the form of a cloak now.

I screamed as he grabbed hold to my wrist because his touch felt like it was burning my skin. It felt like he lit my wrist on fire just from touching it.

Just as he was about to pull me to him, something behind me pulled me backwards, yanking my wrist from Darren’s grasp and rushed in front of me. My back came in contact with –what I assumed was- the door and I snapped my eyes open to see what had pulled me back and was standing in front of me.

My gaze connected with someone’s back. I could tell it was a man because of the broad shoulders and the size of his muscled arms along with the way he held himself, although one of his arms was tattooed with several faces. I noticed that he was slightly shorter than Darren standing in front of him but it didn’t look like that bothered him because he stood his ground.

Darren snarled at the guy before lunging forward to attack him. I closed my eyes because I didn’t to see what was going to happen to the guy in front of me as Darren attacked him.

But one thing I didn’t expect to hear was a bone cracking sound then a few more.

I opened my eyes and was surprised to see the guy that saved me standing over the crumbled figure of Darren but now he was nothing but bones.

“You’ve got nothing to be afraid of now…” the guy said in between taking breaths. “He’s gone.”

He was right.

Darren was gone, along with the haunting screams that seemed to have faded away. I finally found my voice to be able to thank him but when he turned around to face me, I couldn’t see his face because the darkness that filled the hallway behind him, covered him.

I tried to reach out to pull him away from the shadows before they devoured him but right when our hands were about to touch everything disappeared…


My eyes snapped open as my heavy breathing filled the air around me. I quickly sat up right in my bed as I scanned my surroundings and realized I was still in my small bedroom in my small apartment. I exhaled a sigh of relief when it dawned on me that it was all a dream.

I jumped when my alarm clock started beeping.

9:12

I groaned at the red numbers flashing on the screen. I had to be at work within thirty minutes but as I got out of bed and started getting ready for work, it did ease my mind from thinking about that dream. It wasn’t the first time that I had relieved my old life with my ex-boyfriend in a dream but that one was a lot scarier than the others I had.

Usually my other nightmares of him revolved around him abusing me again and almost raping me. Yet that was the first where he was in the form of a skeleton and me having a hero come to save me. I just wished I could’ve seen his face to know what he looked like.

I shook the thoughts away as I exited my apartment, got into my car and started driving towards the small music store that I worked at. Once I arrived there I was greeted by my boss and one of my best friends, TJ.

“Hey Anna, how are you this morning?” He said handing me a cup of coffee that he probably got from the coffee shop that was beside our store.

“Still half sleep really.” I said as I stared at the coffee in the cup before taking a sip of the hot liquid. “You?”

“The same. Caffeine’s the only thing that really has me going right at the moment.” He replied walking over to the front door and switching the ‘Closed’ sign to ‘Open’.

As he started pulling the shades up on the big glass windows and I was getting the receipt slips in order for today, he asked a question that caught me off-guard, “You didn’t happen to have that nightmare again last night, did you?”

I looked up at him, “Wh-what? I mean… how’d you know?”

“Come on Anna, we’ve been friends since kindergarten and I was there for you when that bastard did that, I’m more observant that you think.” He glanced at me before resuming what he was doing, “You had that same scared expression that you always do whenever you had that dream when you got out of your car and came into the building. Need one of my famous hugs to make you feel better?”

“Yeah, your hugs can always make me feel better.” I laughed as he came over to the counter and wrapped his arms around me.

He smirked, “That’s their job, darling.” His smirk dissolved into a sympathetic look, “You want to tell me about it?”

I nodded and explained to him what happened in my dream for the next fifteen minutes until we had our first customer. It was a young girl around mine and TJ’s age that came in to buy the newest Avenged Sevenfold CD. I took care of her purchase as TJ held a small conversation with her which was code word for him flirting with her.

She seemed to really like him since he scored a phone number written on his hand before she left the store. Turns out that her name is Lily and from what they were talking about, she seemed like a nice girl.

“Wow, she was a cutie. You think she’ll want to come to a concert with me for our first date?” He asked, staring down at the numbers written on his hand.

I shrugged and smiled, “Maybe. Who do you have tickets for?”

“Papa Roach, Avenged Sevenfold, and Buckcherry. I have three tickets and you’re already invited but do you think she’d want to come?”

“She’ll want to come then, she just did buy one of A7X’s CDs so she probably loves the band… and who said I was going?” I questioned.

“I did. You’re not staying in on a Friday night with nothing to do other than watch chick flicks and eat ice cream. Besides I got backstage passes too so you can go and meet the guys of Papa Roach. I know how you love Jacoby Shaddix so much.” He said placing his hands over his heart and mocking the face I –supposedly- made when talking about the lead singer.

I hit him on the shoulder, “You know I’m not like that… and besides who can resist such a good looking guy like him?”

“I can.” He laughed. “So it’s a date and don’t you dare go making any other plans because I’ll drag you there if I have to.”

“Why? So Lily can see the big, strong, aggressive guy you are?”

“Sure, it wouldn’t hurt my rep.” He smiled, “So not to bring up that again but who do you think that guy was in your dream? The one that saved you from Darren; it wasn’t me was it?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know but I know it wasn’t you because he had a very nice black and spiky Mohawk unlike your golden brown hair. He had a heavily tattooed right arm and I couldn’t really tell anything else other than he had pale skin and dark clothing.”

“Maybe it means you’re finally going to get a guy? You’ve been single ever since then and it’s been five years, you should really get yourself a guy.”

“Yeah I should.” I mumbled, “I just don’t want to get hurt again though.”

“The next guy won’t hurt you like he did but if he does so much as lays a finger on you in the wrong way, then I’ll make fucking sure that’s he learns his lesson from a six foot deep hole.” TJ growled, glaring out the windows of the store absentmindedly.

I smiled to myself. That’s one thing I always loved about him, he was like my big protective brother. Ever since I finally told him about what Darren was doing to me while we were dating five years ago, he had been overly-protective of me. He would’ve killed Darren if the cops didn’t arrive first the last time that Darren left me as a bloody and bruised mess.

It was because of him that I was scared of being with another guy. I hated him for taking away the confidence, hope and innocence that I used to have.

I hated him.

****

The night of the concert.

TJ called up Lily during the week and set up going to the concert as their first date. She was excited that her first date with him would take place where one of her favorite bands was playing. She didn’t mind that I was coming along either because TJ told her that I wouldn’t much of a pest for their date since I would be drooling over Papa Roach’s lead singer the whole night.

As we arrived at the concert, Lily and TJ were still continuing the conversation with each other that they were having in the car. After we showed the guy at the gate our tickets, we entered the gates and rushed towards the front of the lines. TJ and I were fine with being in a few rows back away from the stage but Lily pulled up ahead to the front so we were now only a few feet away from the stage.

The first band that came on was Buckcherry. Being a cashier at a music store, I knew a few of their songs but they weren’t the ones I used most my energy screaming over. However, TJ loved them so he was having a blast and even caught on of the guitar picks that the lead guitarist threw out towards the crowd.

I cringed when the next band came on because there were several screaming fan-girls around me, including Lily. The others around me were yelling off different names as the guys came out on stage. I heard a Synyster Gates, Shadows, The Rev and a Zacky coming from them and Lily kept cheering for the guy named Synyster Gates. When the lead guitarist heard them calling that name he looked in our direction and winked causing my ears to explode from the girls screaming.

So I guess he was Synyster Gates.

The big muscular guy that walked out with a microphone in his hand waved to the crowd as he started talking, “How you guys doing to tonight Chicago?!” The crowd roared with cheers, “Are you ready to fucking rock tonight?!” I threw in my two cent with the crowd this time with a small ‘yeah!’

Once their music started playing and the big guy started singing, there was one of the musicians that I recognized as soon as I saw the familiar big black mohawk. He was playing the bass beside the guy that I found out was Synyster Gates.

I still couldn’t see his face that well because he was looking down at the chords as he played and the spotlights only cast shadows on him. Could it be that he was the one from my dream? The guy that saved me?

When the song came to an end I asked Lily about him since she seemed to be a big Avenged Sevenfold fan.

“Oh, that’s Johnny Christ. You didn’t know that?”

I shook my head, “No, I only know a few of their songs; I’m not really a big fan of theirs.”

She nodded, “I see. Well he is a cutie isn’t he? Let me guess, you found a new crush besides Jacoby Shaddix?”

I exhaled a breathily laugh, “Uh sure.”

I didn’t want to tell her explain to her that I thought he was the guy from my dream the other night. Johnny Christ? Could he be the guy from my dream? I resumed where I was standing at before when they were about to play another song.

The big guy that I learnt was named M. Shadows spoke into the microphone again and this time he caught my attention when he mentioned Johnny Christ. “Guys, we have a surprise for you tonight. We’re gonna have a little help on the beginning of this song by our bassist, Johnny Christ! Give it up for him!”

Everyone cheered as he approached the mic-stand. The spotlight was placed on him and I saw his face perfectly and he was handsome. His eyes sparkled against the lights as he looked out at the crowd of fans and the light caused a small sparkle from the nose ring he had in. I couldn’t describe him other than handsome because for a moment as he was about to sing, his eyes connected with mine and I forgot everything around us.

He seemed out of focus once our gazes connected too because he didn’t start singing until M. Shadows nudged him slightly.

Johnny broke his gaze from mine and shook his head then started singing the words.

“Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost. It’s empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over…”

He backed away from the microphone to start strumming the bass as the others began playing their instruments and M. Shadows started singing the rest of the song. But as he played his eyes scanned the crowd in my area again until he landed on me. There was a small smile that overtook his lips and it took me a moment before I realized that I was smiling at him as well.

But I could see it in his eyes and I wouldn’t doubt that it was noticeable on me too that we were both trying to recognize each other. I only knew him as the person that could’ve been in my savior in my nightmare.

Yet… why would he be staring at me like he recognized me?

Our gazes held each other’s the whole time they were playing until it was time for them to leave and Papa Roach started coming out onto the stage. TJ nudged my side with his elbow and smirked at me when I saw Jacoby Shaddix coming out and standing at the microphone.

If it was any other time, I would’ve joined in with the crowd with their cheering but I was wondering about that guy from Avenged Sevenfold, Johnny Christ. I wondered if I would get the chance at meeting him again when we go backstage and meet the different bands. But then again, what would I say to him?

I’d look stupid if I just said, ‘hey I had a dream a few nights ago and you were in there -or at least I think it was you- and you were kicking my abusive ex-boyfriend’s ass and I just want to thank you’. That would be pretty stupid.

For the rest of the concert I kept thinking about him until finally Jacoby was bidding everyone a goodnight and a safe drive home and I realized that I missed my favorite band because of wondering about him.

Damn that sucks. I didn’t even pay attention to Jacoby while he was on stage.

While we made our way to the back where the bands were, TJ questioned me on why I was being so silent during the time that Papa Roach was on stage.

“I don’t know. My mind kept wondering off and I couldn’t focus on them.” I shrugged.

Lily giggled, “I think it had something to do with Johnny Christ making eye contact with you while he was about to sing. You’ve got a little crush on him now huh?”

TJ laughed, “That couldn’t be it, she’s head-over-heels for Jacoby Shaddix… although… that guy, Johnny, he reminded me of what you described about that savior in your dream. Is that why you were quiet after seeing him?”

“Maybe.”

“What? She dreamt about him?” Lily asked.

He explained to her the nightmares that I have and he told her about the one that I had a few nights ago about me finally having a hero in the dream.

“Oh I see.” She nodded slowly. “I’m sorry about what happened to you Anna.”

I waved it off to keep from thinking about it, “It was nothing Lily. Just an old memory of my past now.” She didn’t say anything else and I was grateful for that. I didn’t need those scars reopened.

“You know, maybe it was this Johnny Christ dude. He had everything you described about the guy in your dream. The black, spiked mohawk, the tattooed right arm with several different faces on it… reminded me of those old horror films but he was short too if that counts for anything. But he sounds like your angel in your nightmare.” He laughed at the lyrics he quoted from Blink 182’s song.

Lily disagreed, “Nah, I wouldn’t call him an angel… maybe the demon or devil in your nightmare? After all, he isn’t exactly a saint.”

TJ and I looked at her questionably, “What? You can learn a lot about your favorite bands on Wikipedia…” that didn’t lighten our looks, “Don’t judge me.” She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and turned her head.

I laughed, “I’m not judging you, and I did that to Papa Roach too.”

“Well I haven’t. I don’t care to know all about the guys in the bands, I only care about when they’re coming to the next town closest to us for concerts.”

Lily and I nodded as we finally came to the area where the bands were. I saw the guys from Buckcherry and TJ immediately broke away from us to go ask for their autographs and talk with them while Lily went to speak with that Synyster Gates guy and I was left to myself.

I wanted to go ask Jacoby and the rest of Papa Roach for their autograph but I was afraid that I would melt just from being around Jacoby. I admit it; I’m a fan-girl that’s extremely bashful around her idols. I just needed a moment so I could build up my confidences to at least say hi to them.

When I did, I was about to walk over to them but a voice caught me off-guard. I looked in the direction and I saw two familiar brown eyes not too far away from me. I realized that he was the guy that spoke to me and it was Johnny guy.

“Um hi.” I spoke with a small voice. I bet he could hardly hear me.

He smiled, “Hey, I noticed that while I was up on stage that you kept your eyes on me a lot.” I nodded warily, “Was I that sexy that you couldn’t keep your eyes off me?” I could tell he was joking because he ended it with a laugh.

“N-no…” I shook my head then I caught myself, “well n-not that you’re not sexy… cause you’re a good looking guy but… that’s not the reason, it’s just that I thought I recognized you.”

“Yeah I got that vibe too when I saw you but I’m pretty sure that this is the first time we’ve met so that’s pretty strange.” He nodded before sticking his free hand out to me since the other held a beer bottle in it, “I’m Johnny Christ by the way. In case you didn’t know.”

I smiled and slipped my hand in his for a handshake, “I know what you mean. I’m Anna Erubescent and I didn’t know that before coming to this concert. I asked my friend Lily about you since she’s a huge fan of A7X.”

He laughed, “I see, that’s a pretty name too Anna. Did you enjoy the show? Admit it; we’re the reason you came tonight.”

I shook my head with a chuckle, “Nope, I actually came tonight because my best friend TJ didn’t want me at home on another Friday night and because I wanted to see Papa Roach. But I enjoyed the whole concert, you guys were really amazing.” From the parts that I was paying attention to. I mentally added.

A pout formed on his lips after I replied, “Aw you mean you didn’t come to see us? I should’ve known P Roach always gets more fans. Let me guess, you have a crush on a member of that band?”

I shyly grinned, “Yeah… I have a small crush on the lead singer.”

“Yeah most girls do-”

Our conversation got interrupted when the lead singer, M. Shadows called for Johnny. Apparently they were heading on out to the bus to leave. I wasn’t aware that Johnny and I talked so long; it just seemed like a few minutes to me.

Johnny turned back and smiled sadly at me, “I guess I have to get going now.” I nodded and was about to say goodbye to him until he took a step closer to me and leant forward. I thought for a second he was going to kiss my cheek until I felt his hot breath on my ear.

It sent wonderful shivers down my spine as he spoke, “By the way, sleep well tonight. I’ve gotten rid of him for you.” My eyes widened when he said that. H-how? Wha-what? How’d he know about that?

I was torn from my thoughts when I felt his hand on my back as it lowered to my jeans and then he slipped something into my back pocket. I heard a slight crinkle so I believe it was a small piece of paper.

A smile broke out on my lips when he kissed my cheek softly and pulled back to show me a grin and a wink. “I’ll talk to you later Anna. Sweet dreams.”

As I watched him walk away from me while Lily and TJ were bidding farewell to the band members they were talking to, I reached into my back pocket for the paper that Johnny placed in there. I unfolded it and saw the inside. It was a phone number but what astonished me even more was what he signed the bottom with.

“Your Handsome Devil.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Did you like?
Comment if you'd did!
Tell me if it was good or bad, it's the first one-shot I've done so tell me if it sucked or not.