True Love Never Dies

Chapter 2

The next day was Eve's first day at her new job. Tre awoke to the sound of chirping garden birds and smiled as he watched them fly around outside the open window. They were just as busy as his wife was going to be that day. With that thought in mind he slowly got out of bed and re-covered his angel with the soft duvet. She snored lightly and he grinned, she was out for the count. Tip-toeing to the large pine closet he fetched a pair of jeans and logo t-shirt then disappeared into the en suite for a shower. Five minutes later, Tre emerged from the bathroom looking particularly trendy with his hair gelled into small spikes, a do' that suited him well.

Tre tip-toed to the bottom of the double bed, he carefully reached underneath it to pull out a large black and gold stripy box. The metallic red letters on the front read: Dior. As he slipped the heavy lid off, he smiled excitedly and checked that Eve wasn't awake or stirring. She was still out like a light. Inside the box, wrapped in a velvet bow and deep red tissue paper was a Dior, pinstripe suit and red real silk shirt. There was a similar but smaller box nestled inside and Tre untied its fine golden ribbon and removed the lid, placing it underneath the little box. Its contents glistened: a collar pin which was a heart of diamonds and looked extremely expensive. Tre leaned back to admire the display, with a nod of satisfaction he reached under and retrieved another box. This box was smaller than that of the clothes and was a light purple in colour. The black calligraphy on the front read: Christian Louboutin.

When Tre removed the lid it revealed a pair of the finest black leather boots ever made. Setting all of his items on the chair aside the closet he made his way downstairs to make breakfast. It wasn't just Eve's new job that made him so excited and giddy; it was also her birthday and he had something special planned.

Suddenly the phone rang, and in fear of it waking Eve, Tre darted to the front foyer and searched frantically for the wireless. Much to his irritation and anger it wasn't there, as usual he's left it lying at his ass and he continued on his scavenger hunt for the phone. Eventually after throwing the cushions across the room to find the hidden wireless, he answered, "Hello?"
"Oh Hey Mike... yeah well she's in bed at the moment, she'll be up in fifteen minutes, so call back then, okay?........Okay bye Mike."
Tre sighed and pressed the red button before placing the phone in his back pocket.

Then, it rang again.
"Hello...oh hey Bill, no she's still asleep, call in twenty minutes....why? Because she's in bed and won't be up for another fifteen, that's why! No...you can't because Mike is calling at that time...okay you do that, bye!"
Tre shook his head in utter disbelief at his friends and turned, throwing the kitchen towel over his shoulder. He stopped in his tracks when he saw Eve standing in the doorway a smile on her angelic face.

She was dressed in one of Tre's shirts, as usual.
Without a word she ran to him and threw her arms around his shoulders, "You're the best!" she screamed throwing her legs around his waist. Tre staggered a bit and laughed, he allowed himself to fall back onto the couch and choked when she fell with him. "You like em'?" he asked smiling.
"I love them; it's an amazing birthday present!" She commented and kissed him tenderly. Tre chuckled, "No babe, not a birthday present!"
"No?"
"No... it's a new job present... "
"Oh!"
"You'll get your birthday present later, Hunny," Tre said sneakily, then he sniffed the air... "Oh damn! The eggs!" he jumped up practically throwing Eve aside and ran to the kitchen.
"Frank Edwin Wright, what else have you done, you bad man?" Eve giggled as she chased after him.

Tre took the nearly charred eggs from the pan and placed them on the plate sitting on a place mat at the breakfast bar. He dumped the pan in the sink.
"Oh Tre... "Eve muttered shocked and touched by his kind gesture.
"You sit right there and I am at your service, now what kind of orange juice would you like, fresh with bits in it or fresh with no bits?" he asked bowing like a Maitre D and grinning goofily.
Eve frowned and sniffed the air, "Tre, honey, what's that smell?" she wondered sniffing the air more this time.

"Oh! I have another present for you, it's part of your birthday present but I can't keep it locked up any longer!" Tre blurted excitedly running to the utility room door.
"What is it?" she wondered trying to see past him as he bent down and struggled to lift something from the floor. Eve heard a whimpering and soft cooing coming from Tre's mystery package and prayed it wasn't a baby he'd decided to adopt for her, he was after all Tre Cool, the wacky and unpredictable, Tre Cool.

"Tre?" she muttered fearfully.
"SURPRISE!" Tre yelled as he turned around to reveal himself cradling a tiny Labrador puppy, a big bright red ribbon tied around its neck, fastened in a big bow.
Eve sat stunned and eyes wide, she was speechless and a tear struck one eye, she had told Tre all about her strict parents never allowing animals in the family home, and how she had longed for a puppy dog to call her own.
"Oh my goodness... Tre... I... " She didn't say anything she took the puppy being passed to her and cradled it over her shoulder pressing her face into its golden fur.

"What are you gonna call him?" Tre said grinning happily, and he was happy. At that moment he was the happiest man alive to see Eve have the best birthday ever.
"I think I'll call him... Bentley!" Eve gasped and hugged the puppy tighter.
"Bentley? Why Bentley?" Tre wondered surprised at her strange choice of name.
"Well while I was studying at Cambridge there was this coffee house called Bentley's I used to go to before classes or whenever I wanted to relax, it was lovely," Eve told Tre smiling endlessly.

Tre was so joyful and contented to see her smiling; it was something she hadn't done in such a long while, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Eve was crushed to learn she couldn't have children and Tre even more crushed when she plummeted into a state of Post Traumatic Stress and Shock. He prayed every night that she would be okay and he knew she needed something to cheer her up. Billie and Mike agreed with the birthday idea. After endless months of going through depression riffs she needed a day which was devoted to her and her only.

"I think the name is perfect!" Tre whispered stroking her cheek and putting his arms around her and the dog. After a moment he pulled away and walked over to the kitchen drawer to retrieve her card. Eve continued to beam as she ripped the envelope open and slid the card from inside.

To my darling Evey

You mean the world to me, and I am ready to give mine to you,
Have a fantastic birthday,

All my love... forever,
Tre xoxo.....