True Love Never Dies

Chapter 4

"God this isn't happening....NO GODDAMIT... DO... NOT....DIE!" Dr Ramey yelled as he worked as hard as he could. He had located the problem and stitched the young woman up but she had lost so much blood that her heart was failing.
Nurse Mae dashed through the door with the Defibrillator machine he'd asked for.
"Three hundred, NOW!" he commanded and pulled back to change his gloves, his job was done, he'd done the surgery and retrieved the bullet.
"Sir the internal bleeding in her head is too much, we can't do this," Nurse Mae protested.
"DO IT! She has something else too lose," Dr Ramey said sadly.
Nurse Mae obeyed, "Three hundred... Clear... sir?" Nurse Mae muttered with fear.
"Do it again," Dr Ramey said.
"But Sir?"
"DO IT AGAIN!" He yelled eagerly.
"Four hundred... clear... sir this is it... " Nurse Mae insisted, "I'm sorry."
"No... she's too young to die! Give her another boost! Eight hundred," Dr Ramey ordered.
"Eight hundred, clear... ..No, I'm sorry sir we have to call it?"
Dr Ramey looked on, she was right and although he was Nurse Mae's senior, he was in the wrong. He wasn't wrong professionally, but emotionally he was. His emotional well-being got in the way and he felt inner turmoil once again for a lost soul, a young woman, whose life had been cut short. Now he was asking himself why he was so passionate about his job and why he had even decided to do it... he got a rush and amazing sense of well-being when he saved a life only to have it snatched away when one was lost. So he found himself going in circles, black can't live without the white, and vice versa.
Nodding because he knew the Nurse was right but sensing something he knew he couldn't ignore, he gave his decision, "ONE MORE TIME!" He yelled, something told him that this was the right move.
"But Sir... she's gone... "Nurse Mae announced.
"NO! I SAID DO IT, SO JUST DO IT!" He demanded
"Yes Sir," Nurse Mae whimpered dejectedly, "Okay Guys... clear... ."
Dr Ramey stared at the defibrillator machine hoping the long line to disappear.
The line seemed to last forever, it just kept going. Then there was a sudden twitch and the long beep that came with the line turned into a steady beep, beep. The line became straight no more and the numbers were rising to a normal status.
"Okay, BP's picking up...and....she's stable! Alright good work guys," Nurse Mae announced with a shaky but relieved voice.
Dr Ramey smiled and cheered, "YES!" He whooped, "Okay everyone; get her hooked up to a Ventilator now!" He commanded with an overjoyed voice and he felt the over-whelming sense of relief take over his shaky soul.
Nurse Mae assisted the other doctors and nurses as they hooked the young woman to the ventilator and prepared for a Pulmonary Function Test breathing report.
She knew who the young woman of Oakland was, she knew who she was married too, and she'd seen how happy the couple were last month while sitting in Starbucks drinking coffee.
"Do we know who she is," Ramey asked Mae.
"I do Sir, her name is Evelyn Wright and she is married to the drummer in Green Day... ."
"We'd better make the phone call," Dr Ramey announced lackadaisically.
"Yes sir... um... Perhaps I'll go through the police, they will know the address and I think its best he's told at home and face to face."
"Who's he?" Dr Ramey enquired.
"Tre Cool, Sir... her husband."

*

"Tre will you calm down, she probably got caught up at work, hit rush hour, you know how bad the traffic gets!" Billie said as he tried to reassure the concerned Tre who was receiving odd looks from the guests. They had to crank up the sound system to avoid suspicion and announce the party go ahead until Eve arrived. Guests were beginning to wonder where she was, if she'd gone A.W.O.L or been kidnapped.
The kids were getting tired. The person whose birthday it was hadn't even showed up. "Yeah maybe you're right... she just won't answer her cell though, don't you think that's strange."
"Well maybe she's still in the school's Art room painting and she just left her cell in the car, huh?" Mike tried to reassure the worried man.
Suddenly the doorbell rang and Tre's face lit up, it was pitch black outside but with the loud music and the light in the house he hadn't noticed the cars head lights arrive.
"That's her, that's her, turn the music off, she'll just think it's just me playing my music too loud... hide everyone... hide," Tre ushered in frantic whispers.
When everyone took up their places and the three men where behind the sofa again, he waited for the key in the lock. The shimmering banner that said: 'Happy Birthday Eve!' on it, suddenly fell and everyone sighed.
The door bell rang again and then was followed by a consistent knocking.
"Everything's going so damn wrong. She's probably forgot her key too!" Tre whispered angrily looking at the banner. Tre jumped from his hiding place and ran to the door, he opened it smiling brightly, and "SURPRISE!" he yelled.
"Oh shit... " Tre suddenly muttered when he saw the two cops standing there, "Is it the music cus' it's off now, please don't make me cancel this party it's my wife's surprise birthday party," Tre said and laughing slightly under pressure.

Billie Joe and Adrienne came out from their hiding places and appeared behind Tre, to hopefully offer help to the situation.
Mike appeared too with the same agenda.
"Mr Wright..." The lady police officer said kindly.
"Yes?" Tre muttered slightly taken aback by the appearance of the law.
"We need to talk to you about a matter concerning your wife Evelyn Wright, may we come in and talk with you privately," the young lady police officer requested.
The smile on Tre's face fell instantly and the colour in his face drained leaving him ghost white, a fear filled expression seemed to have pushed the happy one aside as he realized something was definitely wrong. "What's wrong?" He muttered almost instantly, looking between the two officers, "Tell me... now?" He added eagerly.
He knew this part, something had happened, why else would officers be at his door looking bummed, he's seen this scene played out in movies.
"Sir perhaps we could come inside to talk, somewhere a little more private."
The male officer suggested gently.
Some of the other guests had appeared from their hiding places.
Joseph and Jakob had appeared by their mother and fathers side from outside, possibly to greet Eve and join in with the Happy Birthday cheer. Adrienne knew something bad was about to unfold, "Boys, why don't you out to the bouncy castle where the others are playing." She whispered, regarding the children of the Jason's, Tre and Mike.
Joseph and Jakob nodded and ran to join their friends outside.
"Sir?" The male officer questioned again trying to get Tre's attention.
"Tre do as he says," Billie murmured to Tre who was frozen to the spot.
He seemed to snap out of his fearful stance, "Oh... Of course come in... follow me," he said walking into the kitchen.
"Perhaps you have a close family member to come in with you?" The lady said softly.
"Yeah sure, Billie, Adie, Mike, come with us."
They all disappeared into the kitchen.

*
"Ha, ha, ha Tre get off!" Eve yelled as Tre rugby tackled her to the ground of grassy domain that was Billie Joe's garden.
"HEY! Bill, are the burgers ready yet?" Tre yelled to Billie who commanded the barbeque.
"Yeah, come and get one," Billie yelled.
"Cool, come on Honey," Tre yelled picking Eve up over his shoulder, a devilish grin appearing across his face as he detoured and chucked her into the pool.
Everyone went into frenzied fits of laughter and when Eve surfaced, fully clothed and shocked everyone pointed and laughed some more, "Tre Cool, I'm gonna kick your ass!" Eve snapped.
"Awww, come on Miss Wet," Adrienne said giving Eve a hand out. Eve grinned foolishly and pulled Adrienne with her, "Hey Mrs Wet!" She replied laughing when Adie surfaced.
"Oh you sneaky bitch..." Adrienne laughed hugging Eve in the water.
"Look at those two wet rats... " Tre said to Billie.
"Oh a wet Rat, am I?" Eve said getting out and helping Adrienne out with her, "Well sticks and stones Mr Tre Cool, because when I'm dead and in my grave you'll suffer for what you called me!" Eve said laughing walking over and throwing her wet arms around her new husband.
I don't mind the wet so much now!, he thought as she kissed him keenly on the lips.


*

Tre shook his head as he snapped out of memory lane... he just received a flashback of something Eve had said, like a significant memory had been triggered by the events taking place. A shiver ran through his spine as he felt the hot bile rise. Darting for the kitchen sink he threw up hard and fast, everything he had consumed that day. The breakfast he shared with Eve before she left for work. The beer he shared with his friends celebrating the party they were going to throw that evening... until now.

Adrienne and Mike darted forward to the sink to assist Tre, who hadn't finished being sick as everything he had inside of him exited through his mouth.
Billie looked on stunned at the news, "When?"
"It happened around a quarter to six, Sir; she was driving at the cross-roads when she was caught in the cross-fire. The car swerved, and she was trapped in the pile-up, beneath a lorry... "
Tre looked up wiping his mouth on his bare hand, "A lorry?" he muttered incredulously, "Oh man... ." He breathed and hung his head in his hands. He couldn't ever, imagine his angel being through anykind of pain. "Can I see her? He asked hopefully.
"Of course... " The lady police officer replied calmly nodding.
Tre walked toward the door and opened it, stepping out into the foyer where some guests remained and some where in route of leaving. Tre already had tears in his eyes, he was white as a ghost, his lips were dry and chapped from the acid in his sick, his eyes where red and growing redder with each tear.
"Ah... parties over guys... "he murmured with overwhelming misery.
People simply nodded and began to filter out the front door, Tre returned to the kitchen and faced his friends and the officers... ."Alright let's go... ."