True Love Never Dies

Chapter 7

Mike arose around eight thirty and decided to call Tre and see how he was. He had been so worried about his best friend that he had not caught a wink of sleep the night before. He was standing in front of the living room window watching the sun rise over Oakland State, a coffee in one hand, TV remote in the other.
"Daddy?" Mike heard the angelic voice of his daughter and turned around to smile tiredly down at her.
"Morning Hero, Did you sleep well?" He asked as she walked over to him, "Yes... "she replied holding her arms out to him.
Mike put his coffee down on his lamp table. He picked her up and settled down on the couch with his arm around her while he turned on the television.
"Is Ramona still asleep, hun?" Mike asked Stella who was leaning into her Daddy and getting into the cartoon on the television. She nodded slightly.
Mike turned back to the TV, the cartoon was coming to an end and he flipped the morning news channel on.
"Daddy... ."Stella moaned, "I wanna watch cartoons!"
"I won't be a minute Hero, just let Daddy watch the news for a minute okay?"
The news went through a serious of events that occurred the previous day including food poisoning at a local Quick Mart, a series of fisheries getting contaminated, a shop robbery, and a forest fire and finally... .
Mikes eyes fell upon the scene before him, the helicopter camera panned down on the cross-roads just at the bottom of Tre's estate lane. Cars at a standstill, a car pile up, a lorry... ..
He swallowed hard as he listened to the news caster;

"The scene here at this Oakland intersection was a frightening one. The incident occurred at around a quarter to six yesterday when four teens initiated in a drive-by shoot out which caused more than thirty lives to be at stake. The victims involved in the twelve car pile up were seriously injured but one woman, Evelyn Wright, married to the Drummer, Tre Cool, from Green Day, was trapped in a Volvo beneath a transportation lorry. The young woman was freed but was left in a coma and was taken to Oakland State Hospital where doctors are hoping for progress."

Mike's eyes filled with sorrow and shock, his heart tightened as did his throat. The next sound that followed was the sound of water hitting off the laminate flooring. Mike snapped his head around at the door way to see young Ramona staring in shock at the television; she was also soiling the floor. The first time she'd heard about Eve's accident and she'd found out in the worst possible way ever.
"Damn it! Mike!" Mike scolded himself grabbing Stella and covering her eyes.
"Stell honey, go into your room for me okay?" Mike urged, "Go now!"
Stell ran up the stairs as Mike approached Ramona who was in complete shock.
"Oh no, Ramona, Hon, look at me? Look at me," he said eventually making her turn her head to look at him.
"Ramona, I... " He paused, what he could possibly say to make anything sound lesser than what it really was.
"Dammit... don't move Mona... just you stay right there, okay?" Mike panicked and ran to grab the phone. If it had have been any other situation Mikes frenzied approach might have been comical but there were reasons, reasons that could not be excused for anything more than disaster and heart ache. Mike was at the end of his tether, he was loosing it and it was time he asked for help.
"Hello Adie," He said when Adrienne Armstrong picked up her cell phone.
"Hey, Mike, What's up?" She asked.
"Can you come over to my house, something's up with Ramona, she ah... " Mike glanced at his soiled floor, "She just needs you, and so, can you come over?"
"Of course Mike... "She hung up instantly and Mike returned to assist Ramona who was still standing, staring at the TV in shock.
"Ah... Ramona, Auntie Adie is on her way, okay?"
Nothing.
Not even a blink of an eye lash.
Mike swallowed hard and tried not to panic, he slowly walked over to Ramona again.
"Let's sit down okay," Mike said trying to lift her. She kicked and screamed.
"NO... NO... LET ME GO!" she yelled and he put her down.
Stella appeared at the top of the stairs, "Dad, what's happ-nin?" she asked quietly with fear filled eyes.
"It's okay Stella, go to your playroom and watch a DVD, I'll be up in a little while." Mike said gently.
"Is Auntie Adie coming?" Stella wondered.
"Yes honey, she'll be here soon, go wait in your room," Mike instructed.
Adrienne arrived fifteen minutes later; she entered the house with eagerness as soon as Mike opened the door,
"God what happened?" she asked running to Ramona.
"She saw the news and she's... I think she's in shock," Mike replied faintly.
"God... "she said to herself and bent down beside Ramona, "Ramona, sweetie, what did you see?"
Ramona looked at Adrienne with tear filled eyes, "Eve is dead isn't she?"
Mike's heart sank and tears welled in his eyes.
Adrienne shook her head, "Oh no sweetie, she's just in a coma and that means she's just going to sleep for a very long time. Do you wanna come and get dressed then we'll go see your Dad?"
Ramona nodded, took Adrienne's hand and they ascended up the stairs. Mike heard Adrienne run the bath and bustle about; Stella reappeared as he was cleaning the floor.
"Is Ramona gonna be okay Dad?" Stella asked interestingly and worriedly.
Mike smiled and nodded as he sat down on the foyer bench, "Come over here Hero," she skipped over, he scooped her up onto his knee and hugged her, "She's fine, she's just found out some bad news about your Uncle Tre and Auntie Evey."
"What's the bad news, aren't they together anymore?"
Mike nodded his head, his blue eyes invaded by tears, "Well in a way they're not, you see, something happened to Auntie Evey," He began as tears rolled down his cheekbones.
Stella didn't need her father to tell her she'd heard every word Ramona and Adrienne said. "Evey is sleeping isn't she?"
Mike nodded as he broke down and cried harder into his hand trying to hide his face unsuccessfully from Stella. "Don't cry Dad, she's still here!"
Mike looked up and smiled, "You're so smart you know that?" he said appreciatively, "Thanks Baby," he said and kissed her forehead before hugging her again and trying not to cry. Stella hugged her father back, a knowing smile spread across her angelic features.

Adrienne came plodding down the stairs thirty minutes later with a newly dressed Ramona "Now go you and watch cartoons with Stella while I talk with Uncle Mike," Adrienne said and then walked to Mike who was making coffee in the kitchen.
"I have some news..." Adrienne announced when she took a cup from Mike.
"What, about Tre?" Mike wondered.
"Yes, Eve was pregnant." Adrienne informed wonderfully. Mike stared in awe, "Oh my God, but I thought she couldn't have children?" he said incredulously.
"I know but a miracle happened or two apparently, the baby survived!"
"What? But how is that possible?" Mike asked astounded still.
"Well it was unharmed in the womb so..."
"Wow, Tre has another kid?" Mike asked.
"That's right, Billie told me last night!"
"That's awesome, Adrienne, that's just awesome!" Mike said delightfully.
"You know Mike you did the right thing in calling me," Adrienne told a stressed out Mike who shook his head.
"I had no idea what to do so I called the one woman I knew had a way with kids!"
Adrienne smiled and pulled Mike into a supportive hug, "I'm glad you did!"
After some coffee, Adrienne drove Ramona back to Tre's, she called Lisea and asked her to come and fetch her daughter. It did not go very well.
"Hey Lisea, It's Adrienne Armstrong here, sorry to bother you but we've been having some difficulties here and I was wondering if you would be able to come and collect Ramona sometime soon?"

"Let me guess, Tre's too drunk to look after her?" Lisea assumed.

"Ah... no... " Adrienne replied.

"No, let me guess he wants to practice with the band and he doesn't have the time to watch the daughter he's supposed to have this week?"

"Ah... no... " Adrienne replied again.

"Or maybe he just is too lazy and wants his own space?" Lisea remarked.

Adrienne sighed, "Well not exactly, his wife just fell into a coma... "
There was a pause from the other end as Adrienne said her last sentence.

"So yeah, he kind of does need his own space, he's kind of messed up right now, Lisea, so he won't be fit to watch children anyway... .look you know what Tre is like." Adrienne said finally. Lisea sighed on the other end.

"Whoa, I didn't know... I ... I'm sorry sure I'll leave soon... ."

"Don't be sorry just hurry," Adrienne said hanging up. She turned up past the same intersection, the intersection homing Eve's accident and then looked at Ramona in the mirror. The young girls' eyes glazed over the intersection and she went pale again. Adrienne put her foot down and a few seconds later came swinging into Tre's driveway.

***
Tre had dressed and showered and was reading a note from Martha;

Frank, Gone shopping, don't you worry about a thing I will help with the chores, you take care and I'll see you soon.
Martha

He Smiled and proceed to take his coffee into the living room, he stopped when he smelt a foul stink arising in the kitchen. He followed the smell and realized it got stronger as he neared the utility room. Then he remembered... Bentley.
"Shit!" he snapped and opened the door to see the puppy sitting by the door whimpering. "Oh God, Bentley, I'm so sorry, come here pup let's get you some food."
Tre filled the puppy's bowl with fresh food and water then picked up the mess. Martha didn't go near the old utility room she said that if she went in there it was tempting death, and it was, what with all Tre's tools and Eve's painting equipment the place wasn't safe for anyone.
After letting Bentley into the enclosed back yard, Tre walked into the living room avoiding contact with the empty space on the wall. He wasn't comfortable being in there, but there was no where on his property he could go to without being reminded of Eve one way or another. Just as he sat down on the sofa he saw a car pull up outside, it was a red Peugeot 206 CC, Adrienne Armstrong's car.
He set his coffee down and got up to let her in but stopped by the window when he saw her lift Ramona out.
Damn, he thought as he ran o open the door. He had completely forgotten about his part-time, father responsibility and guilt flooded him.
"Ramona... ."he breathed as he ran forward and scooped her into his arms.
"She knows," Adrienne said quietly and his eyes fell.
"Thank you, Adrienne... " he muttered and she followed him as he carried Ramona into the house.

Lisea arrived two hours later from the time Adrienne called her. Tre had explained everything to Ramona and Frankito when Frankito arrived. Martha had returned to make dinner and watch Frankito while Tre discussed matters with Lisea.
She seemed uneasy as she entered the high-ceiling foyer; she played with her hands and constantly glanced at her feet. "H...h... how is she?" she stammered.
Tre shrugged, "As good as any person can be when they've just found out their step-mom has disappeared into a coma." Tre said coldly. Lisea winced when he mentioned the word Step-mom. "Oh well I guess she'll be okay now that I'm here," Lisea muttered, Tre smiled sarcastically, he wasn't convinced.
"Well that's just lucky then isn't it," Tre said with sarcasm. Lisea looked bothered but she shifted her weight and shrugged, "H... h... how are y... you?" she stammered again. Tre grinned cheekily, "Never better!" he lied, "Are you done?" he asked and she nodded.

"Ramona, Baby, are you ready your Mom's here!" Tre yelled through the house.
Ramona appeared by her fathers side and held onto his leg, "I wanna stay here Daddy, I don't wanna go home."
Tre looked at Lisea with a grin, "Now that mommy's here huh?" he said cheekily.
Lisea sighed and knelt down to Ramona, "Honey... "she chuckled, "Why don't you come with mommy and we can get some ice-cream huh. Chocolate your favourite!" she added happily.
"Bribery, that outta do it!" Tre said under his breath, Lisea heard him and scowled.
"Well if you have a better idea I'd love to hear it?" she requested.
Tre looked at Lisea for a moment pause and then bent down to face Ramona, "Hun, Go home with your mommy, there's some stuff Daddy has to do this week but you can sure as hell come up next week okay?" Ramona nodded her head, her fair hair swishing as she did. Tre smiled and stood up.
"Like that wasn't bribery!" Lisea snapped.
Tre leaned in and whispered, "That wasn't bribery. That was hope!" he declared and hugged Ramona before disappearing back into the living room. As he watched Lisea's car disappear down the driveway he cried. He cried for Ramona because she'd lost her "cool step-mom", he cried for young Frankito who was much too young to understand why Eve wouldn't be around any more, he cried for Eve because she would miss the events of pregnancy and he cried for himself, because he knew things where never going to be the same again.