True Love Never Dies

Chapter 9

Tre got home and stormed into the kitchen, he could see Bentley had soiled the floor.
"Damn you dog!" he screamed and sat down at the breakfast bar.
He sat there breathing heavily and angrily for a moment then slammed his fist on the table, the utensils from breakfast jumped, he looked at the bottle, contemplating whether to drink or not drink. He stared for what seemed like forever when something startled him, a voice nearby and a strange presence that was somewhat familiar.

"I hope your going to clean that up!"

Tre froze, he knew that line, that line was said to him at least ten times a day, it came from someone whose obsession with cleaning meant sacking the cleaner to do it herself, just so it would be done right, someone who would kill him for drinking...if... she were here.
Tre slowly looked up, and nearly choked at what he saw.
She was, as clear as day, wearing the suit he'd bought her for her new job. The only difference was that it was exactly how it was when she first wore it, her face was no longer scarred; her eyes were twinkling, like the very first time he saw them in the diner, her hands were soft and wrinkle free... Eve.
"Geez, I do hope you're not going to drink all that at once!" she said smiling.
"H...how?" he whispered and stammered at the same time staring in shock and disbelief.
"How? It's called unfinished business honey, some lost souls have it," Eve told him gently.
"But... you're not dead," Tre snapped.
"Well hello to you too, Tre you sure are white, you look like you've seen a ghost," Eve joked.
"No whatever gave you that idea?" Tre joked back, then, "Am I dreaming?" he said sternly and earnestly.
"On the contrary, my dear, I am real as the wee on the floor," she sniggered.
"Why? How?" He stammered.
"Out of body experience... a chance to deal with some things that have come to my attention, unfinished business," Eve explained.
"And what's that?" Tre asked. Tre looked into those perfect twinkling eyes as he searched her for an answer as though a ghost had a delayed reaction and he had to read her expression for some sort of sign of an answer.
"You." She said instantly a smile appearing.
Tre stared in confusion. Eve took a turn about the kitchen and explained things while she walked.
"I've noticed things since... well since the incident, things that shouldn't be happening, things that should be happening and aren't."
Tre nodded, listening intently.
"For starters I notice you have been visiting be every single day since the day I went into hospital. Why Tre? I mean that's not me, not really, it's just my body!"
Tre smiled slightly, "I know I just had to be closer to you... "
"And did you feel closer? Be honest?" She asked impartially.
"No not really," he replied sheepishly.
"There... see, now start focusing on life and not turning my room into the Garden of Eden, poor Nurse Mae has the health code violation to think about and she's too afraid to tell you about it in case you bite her head off!"
Tre knew she was right, he hesitated before confessing the reality, "I've been doing that a lot lately," He admitted.
"I know Tre, I know about your phone call with Jordyn, and I sure as hell saw how you treated Joey... Tre I think if you couldn't deal with my accident like an adult I would be dead by now. I think that's why I'm only half way to heaven, I have to try and change you... you have changed into the very person I would never have dreamed about marrying."
"I'm sorry Eve... " Tre trailed off as he hung his head in shame.
"Hey don't be sorry... be happy... I'm not dead... at least not yet," she giggled and then smiled.
"And I believe my baby survived, I was so worried... " Eve said sadly.
"Yes... why didn't you tell me you were pregnant with our child?" Tre said instantly.
Eve smiled and shook her head in disbelief, "I knew I was pregnant I was being sick and my bodily functions were up the left, I just knew. I had it confirmed by the doctor though he said that because I found it hard to conceive it was unlikely the baby would exceed four months. It looks like we have ourselves a little miracle... in more ways than one!" Eve said laughing, Tre laughed with her.
"You're a ghost... " he muttered watching her she was glowing, like a mother who'd just found out she'd gave birth.
"Yes we went through this... why?" Eve asked.
"I can't touch you... can I?" Tre pondered sheepishly. Eve shook her head, "No, not unless you want the full Casper effect," she replied smiling.
"Tre pull yourself together, this... "she said waving her hand over the mess and the liquor bottle, "Is just wasting your time and energy on reckless wishes, the pain will still be there in the morning, and so will I, so you have to keep control! And for God's sake take care of the dog. A dog is for life not for Christmas, or in my case, Birthday!"
"I will baby, I will," Tre said tears welling.
"Oh and thank-you for the Dover tickets, it was a lovely birthday present, I'm glad you've decided to take a trip, perhaps you can take Billie and Mike with you. Maybe you three can make it a lads weekend away, hmm?" Eve suggested.
"What are you talking about... ?" Tre asked confused.
"The mystery birthday present, you were taking me to see the white cliffs of Dover!" Eve shrieked happily and laughed at his forgetfulness although she really couldn't blame him. Tre laughed too and nodded then he had an epiphany.

"Stella... you spoke to her didn't you?" Tre suddenly remembered Stella's strange way of "dealing".
Eve nodded, "Yes, I knew she would have understood, I had a bedtime story to finish with her, I'm sorry about Ramona, I understand she did not take my sleeping state well," Eve said and Tre winced at her sentence. He nodded, "Yes, but she's okay Adie spoke to her," Tre told her.
"Ah Adrienne Armstrong... that woman is a saint, I really am sorry she and I could not spent many happy times sharing motherly tips together, I would have enjoyed that kind of relationship with her." Eve sadly stated.
The phone rang shrill and loud throughout the empty, as Tre had just noticed, cold house. He looked toward the phone which was in the foyer and sighed.
"I'd better get that," he said turning back to Eve then froze... she was gone.
Tre rubbed his eyes, wondered if he had just been drinking and he'd passed out drunk. No! The bottle was still tightly closed, untouched, the way Eve liked it.
"Damn!" he said wondering if he was going crazy or not. He ran to the foyer and answered. Almost hoping it would be Eve, she had come to him in ghost form, what was stopping her from calling him?
"Hello, Tre?"
"Oh hey Jason, What's up?" Tre asked sounding bummed.
"Well you're a dad times three! Wanna go to the bar and celebrate?" Jason asked excitedly.
"You know what Jason, I don't think I will tonight, I think I'll go to bed early. I have a lot to do tomorrow morning mate. Thanks for the offer though." Tre said appreciatively as he studied the messy house.
"Anytime, man, you just call me, okay?" Jason ordered.
"Okay, man, see you," Tre hung up and walked back into the kitchen. He looked at where Eve had last stood and sighed.
"Come on Bentley, let's go to bed," the dog stared up at him.
"That's right pup, your in bed with me, the queen size double all to ourselves, well I can start treating you like a pillow now that the boss is gone," Tre laughed to himself as he picked the puppy up form the floor.
Feeling Emotionally stronger but a little disorientated by seeing what appeared to have been a ghost or a vision. Whatever it was it had talked some sense into him; whistled 'Like a Rat Does Cheese' as he climbed the stairs to bed, the puppy cradled at every-shape, under his arm.