Status: Completed.

False Pretense

First year of college; who wouldn't be excited? But for Katryne Turner, it's about something else entirely.

Nine months ago, Katryne lost her father to a drunk driver. Breaking a once happy family and leaving them in shambles; they never fully repaired from the damage.

But when she crosses paths with a particular boy who has a few secrets of his own, well, she's in for a world of experience. And that's what college is about, right?
  1. One.
    It was only a matter of time that somebody could be so miserable they were due to explode, right?
  2. Two.
    Just what I needed: somebody to watch me sulk and be so lonely they'd wonder if I mistaked the dorm for an asylum.
  3. Three.
    For the past nine months I had developed into this false persona and I didn't know where the fake Katryne ended and the real one started any longer.
  4. Four.
    I hadn't been away from my mother for more than an hour and I was already doing something that she wouldn't have liked.
  5. Five.
    The look on his face wouldn't leave my mind.
  6. Six.
    His head trip was really starting to bother me.
  7. Seven.
    He was staring so intently again I could've sworn he was trying to make implode with his thoughts.
  8. Eight.
    And as we stood there, I could have sworn I felt a hot tear land on my neck.
  9. Nine.
    I mentally slapped myself for coming with Tre.
  10. Ten.
    Six beers, four cigarettes, and one inside joke later, Billie Joe and I were lounging on the floor of their basement.
  11. Eleven.
    But if we were going to be getting along from now on...well, it was only a matter of time until we had to tell him, right?
  12. Twelve.
    I looked up at him for the first time since I started talking; his eyes were soft and kind.
  13. Thirteen.
    I groaned loudly and contemplated running up there to beat his ass.
  14. Fourteen.
    I felt as guilty as I was and never wanted to see anybody ever again.
  15. Fifteen.
    I looked down at my feet, contemplating whether or not to tell her what was actually wrong.
  16. Sixteen.
    Why did he always look adorable when he just woke up?
  17. Seventeen.
    Nothing like guilt to prove you're alive.
  18. Eighteen.
    I was taken aback by his sudden outburst and it took me a moment to realize what was going on.
  19. Nineteen.
    Final words.