Status: Completed.

False Pretense

Eight.

"Billie Joe?" A voice asked, interrupting what he was saying. A figure stood at the edge of our booth and I looked up, choking on my pancake.

"Hi, mom." The familiar waitress smiled pleasantly at her son. This was Ollie's son?!

"Ollie!" I chirped, forcing down my food and smiling cheerfully. She looked from Billie to me and seemed to do a double take.

"Katryne? Oh, hi dear!" It was Billie's turn to be confused.

"You two know each other?" He looked from me to his mom, who simply nodded her head.

"She's a regular!" Ollie explained, causing Billie to crack a smile my way.

"That's why you chose this place, isn't it?" I felt my cheeks start to burn and avoided eye contact as I nodded my head, grabbing for my coffee.

"Oh, Katryne, isn't it ironic how on Thanksgiving we talked about Billie and you said you two would get along perfectly and now you're here together?" She laughed, oblivious to the horror that took over my face. Billie cocked his head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, look how that worked out." I said lamely, she smiled and touched Billie's arm.

"It was nice to see the both of you, but I've got to get to work. Billie, stop by home later? I've got your clean laundry." He nodded his head and she turned and walked toward the counter; my usual seat.

Billie returned his gaze back to me and puckered his lips while raising his eyesbrows.

"Care to explain?"

It was surreal to think that he had been the angry boy in the parking lot, the boy Ollie had explained to me. But it made sense, everything she told me, he fit into perfectly.

"Uh, on Thanksgiving I had stopped in here for my usual cup of coffee and your mom is always the person who waits on me and so we'd talked a lot in the past and she knew I was upset and she was saying I reminded her of you. Then she went on to explain how you felt like the black sheep in your family as well and I jokingly said that you and I would get along great," I looked up at him and smirked slightly. "Which you and I both know is not correct."

He laughed lightly and ran a hand through his hair. He took a sip of his coffee and ran another hand through his hair.

"So you were the chick that said 'somebody who has fucking brains'."

"Yeah, that was me." He chuckled darkly and took a bite of his pancake.

"Well, this is entertaining to learn, but what was I saying before she interrupted us?"

"Nothing of importance. Just that we didn't have to be friends, we were just two people who had each other to confide in."

"Right. Well, I guess I should start since I'm guessing you won't want to." He smirked, locking his eyes on my own.

"You're correct."

"Well, okay," He coughed once, a clear sign he was suddenly uncomfortable. "I grew up in a working class family, and I'm the youngest of six so when the tragedy happened I took it the hardest." He looked up at me and for a slight moment he looked...harmless.

"Go on." I encouraged, wanting him to know I was actually listening.

"My dad got cancer of the esophagus...and when the doctors diagnosed this, they said he a bit longer time than he actually did....because...well, he died three months after that diagnosis. My mom had to take up longer shifts here and we were suddenly not much of a family anymore. Mike, god bless this man, befriended me and even rented out a room in my house to be with me through this tough time. But even now...he doesn't know I still haven't been able to let go."

I watched Billie play with his fingers while I filtrated what deep emotions he had just courageously shared with me. I now knew one more thing that made Billie and I alike: we both lost our fathers. There was nothing that could replace that loss, and I was amazed at how much compassion I felt toward Billie's loss.

"Billie..."

"Don't." He whispered, not looking at me.

"What?"

"Don't say you're sorry. Just...go. It's your turn." He ripped the bottom of his napkin and looked up at me slowly.

"My dad's occupation had him traveling a lot, and in April he was coming home early to surprise us," I was suddenly overwhelmed with pain and I almost burst into tears just speaking. "But instead...the police called and said he was in a head-on accident with a semi, who had a drunken driver at the wheel." I put my head in my hands suddenly, no longer having control over my emotions. My body trembled as I cried, and I felt the seat sink down as Billie pulled me into him.

I felt him scooting out of the booth, but with his arms around me, causing me to slide as well. Once he stood up, he grabbed my hand and pulled me up and dragged me with him toward the back exit of the restaurant. He opened the door and once we were outside he threw his arms around me again, allowing me to resume crying on him.

"I'm sorry about your dad, Billie." I whispered, grabbing the back of his shirt tighter.

"It's all right, Kat. I'm sorry about yours." He whispered back, his voice just as low.

And as we stood there, I could have sworn I felt a hot tear land on my neck.

* * *

Billie decided to be a gentlemen and walk me back to the dorm steps. I had an hour till I had my first class and, to be honest, I was feeling a bit relieved. Like this weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Billie was the first person I had told about my dad outside of family members.

"Thanks for listening today, Kat." He smiled slightly and ran a hand through his hair.

"You're welcome. And, hey, I promise you won't see me cry ever again. Two days in a row is enough for...well, ever." I laughed to myself, and he smiled even bigger.

"You don't have to say that. It's understandable why you cried, Kat." His attempt at comfort was actually working.

"Ha, yeah, thanks. I should probably head inside, though, I'll see you...er, some other time?" He laughed and nodded once.

"Yeah, see you around."

I smiled once before opening the door and heading back inside.

As I walked up the stairs I replayed the moments with Billie inside my mind. We aren't friends. We are just acquaintances with each others secrets. This was going to be interesting.

I opened the door to our dorm and Traci walked out of the bathroom at the same moment. She smiled slyly and looked me up and down.

"So, how was it?"

"How was what? The awkward breakfast with Billie? Oh, just...uh, awkward." I took off my coat and threw it on my bed. She walked over to the open closet and scoped out her outfit for the very first day.

"When did you leave? I woke up at six and you were already gone."

"He came over at five. I'm surprised you didn't wake up by his knocking."

"I'm a heavy sleeper. So are you two friends now? I tried coming up with situations as to why he was here but...I got nothing." I laughed and sat down on my bed, taking off my shoes and socks.

"No, we aren't friends. He wanted to talk about yesterday, I didn't see him for the rest of the night."

I didn't like lying to Traci, but I didn't think Billie would appreciate me spilling his secrets when I promised him I was trustworthy. The more I thought about it, this whole situation didn't make sense. I had a feeling I was in for one hell of a ride.
♠ ♠ ♠
No, this isn't going to be a sad, lets-talk-about-our-pain story. There is lots more drama to come :D

Thanks for reading!