Status: Complete

Love the One You're With

Chapter 17

We were 8.

"We played soccer with you guys, now you have to play wedding with us," our friend Mandy announced. Mandy was ten, and she was bigger than all of us, even Jordan so we all listened to her.

There were only two boys, Jordan and Zach. There were four girls.

"I'm not marrying any of you that's for sure," ten year old Jordan announced.

We all looked at each other, thinking our little role play would come to an end before it started. The girls all wore long faces.

"I'll marry Phoebe," Zach said shyly looking at his feet.

I got a huge grin as Jordan punched him in the arm and Zach winced. "Man we could of gotten out of this stupid game."

"Sorry Jord," Zach replied, and he looked up at me with a smirk.

Mandy set everyone up in their places and explained their role. I stood on the other side of the living room with Kellee who was the flower girl. She pointed out where the isle was. She put Jordan and Zach in their places in front of the TV as the best man and groom. Rachel was ordained by Mandy and would be officiating, while she reserved the maid of honor spot for herself. "Wait! We don't have a ring. We can't do this without a ring!" Mandy was visibly upset, but Zach came to the rescue yet again.

"Wait here," he said and sprinted out the door. In five minutes Zach was back. He opened a little plastic tube and showed Mandy the contents. I just stayed in my place, I didn't want to make Mandy mad. I was kind of afraid of her. She approved of whatever Zach had and the wedding began with the flower girl walking down the isle to Mandy's humming.

Rachel said some words and made Zach and I say I do. Then she told Zach to put the ring on my finger. It was a plastic ring with a big red stone. I smiled from ear to ear as Zach put it on my finger.

"Now you may kiss the bride," Rachel said.

Zach looked horrified, but I grabbed his head and kissed him right on the lips. His face turned red, and Jordan punched him again. "OK we're done playing," Jordan announced and pulled Zach out of my house.

Later that night, Zach showed up in my back yard. "I have your ring," I told him.

"No Pheebs, I bought it for you. Dad gave me money for the gum ball machine. I got a bouncy ball for me and the ring for you."

I leaned over and kissed his cheek, making him blush again.

****

By the time we made it to the reception, the party was in full swing. The dance floor cleared and Jordan lead Chelsea on to the dance floor. They danced to a slow song while everyone stood and watched. The music picked up and everyone flooded the dance floor around them.

I watched as Zach and Liza danced. His hands were on her hips, and she smiled up at him sweetly. My stomach felt sick, and I headed for the bar, with Max close behind.

I ordered a drink for myself and a beer for Max. "So what's the plan?" Max asked.

"I don't have one."

"You have to have a plan."

"Ok, the plan is to sit here until Zach asks me to dance. Then I profess my undying love to him and hope he dumps the blond for me."

"That's a terrible plan," Max replied, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Well do you have any other suggestions?"

"Yeah, wait until he heads to the bathroom and jump him in the hallway." Max was laughing hysterically at himself, but I just smiled. "Ok seriously, how about we dance and make him jealous. I'll grind all over you until he can't stand it and wants to hit me."

"How about we dance, but you be a gentleman. Then we will play the rest by ear."

We took another drink, and headed toward the dance floor. Max took care in positioning me so I couldn't see Zach dancing with Liza. He was watching them though, and I could tell from his expression that at this point there was still nothing to worry about. After a couple of songs and a bout or two of hysterical laughter with Max, a set of slow songs started. Just as Max pulled me in to him someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Mr. Talbot, I hope you won’t mind if I steal Phoebe away from you for a few minutes." I was looking into the eyes of Zach's Dad.

Max obliged and went to look for another innocent victim to dance with.

"How are you holding up Phoebe?" he asked putting one arm at my waist and holding my hand in the other.

"I'm fine Mr. Parise. Thanks for asking." I wondered if he could possibly know how horrible this weekend had been for me.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes sir." I replied.

"Oh, I was just wondering if this was killing you as much as it's killing Zach."

"Killing Zach?"

"He's miserable. He's putting on a happy face to please Jordan and the rest of us, but he's beside himself."

I couldn't say anything. His words were making my heart beat faster, but I was so confused. Zach was here with Liza.

"You know, Zach's mom and I always thought it would be you two that got married. We never expected this."

That statement hurt worse coming from him then all the other times I'd heard it said recently. "Me either," I replied softly.

"I'm sorry that I asked you to stay away from Zach Phoebe. I should have known you two could never be happy without the other."

"I don't know Mr. Parise. So much has happened."

"Do you love him less than you did when you were twelve?" I shook my head no. "Less than when you were fifteen or seventeen?" I just looked up a him trying to get his point. "You wouldn't let him go then." He was right. I would have fought for Zach then. I never would have let anything else come between us.

Before I could say another word there was another tap on my shoulder, this time it was Zach and my heart began to race.

"Would you mind Dad?" he asked.

"No. We were actually just talking about you," Mr. Parise said as he put my hand in Zach's.

Zach just smiled and put his hands around my waist. My arms instinctively went around his neck. "You were talking to my dad about me?" he asked.

I wondered if I should be honest, and decided it was the best thing. "He wanted to know if I was as miserable as you."

Zach looked into my eyes. "Are you?" he asked.

"Worse," I admitted and was convinced it was true. He pulled me in tighter and now my head rested on his shoulder. "I'm not with Max!" I blurted out bringing my head back up. Then I just started talking like a lunatic. "We're just friends. He came with me to give me moral support and then my family kept talking about you and saying how this should have been us, and I lied to them. I just couldn't take it anymore. I told them Max was my boyfriend. I tried to tell you the truth before you saw us together, but you weren't home when I came over." I stopped and took a breath regretting my craziness at just blurting all that out. That's when I realized we weren't dancing anymore, we were just standing in the middle of the dance floor looking at each other.

I was worried about Zach's reaction, but when he started laughing it surprised me. "Phoebe," he said shaking his head and smiling. "I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how you ended up with Talbot." He pulled me back into him and my head went back to my shoulder. "Liza and I aren't together either." My head once again sprang up.

"What?"

"It was Travis's idea. He made me bring his sister so I'd have someone here with me. I think he'd like Liza and I to be together, but we're not. Quite honestly I don't think she's any more interested in me than I am in her." Zach pointed, to the scene that was currently unfolding at the bar. Max was leaning against Liza's bar chair totally hitting on her. She was giggling at him and batting her eyes. Zach and I both laughed. "I think Travis will kick my ass if she falls for him."

I rested in Zach's arms as our bodies began moving to the music again. There were no other thoughts in my mind except savoring every second of being right here where I was. But way too soon the music got faster, and we were swept apart by relatives and friends.

I danced with UncleArthurwho told me Max and I weren't meant to be because he seemed to be a bit of a flirt. I ate dinner with Grandma and Aunt Be who tried to talk me into staying in Minnesota for the summer.

It wasn't until I was cornered by my mother that I realized how painfully sober I was. "Look honey," she said. "Max is a nice guy, but I think you still have feelings for Zach...And by the looks of things he still has feelings for you." She nodded toward the dance floor where Zach was dancing with his mother. His eyes were on us, well me, but he quickly looked away as he saw us look over. I explained to my mom that Max and I were just friends which seemed to ease her mind a bit. She wasn't done though, "Phoebe, I thought when you called off your wedding, maybe you and Zach would find your way back to each other."

"Where is all this coming from? You were never a big fan of us being together before."

"You’re not a kid anymore Phoebe, and the two of you are still so wrapped up in each other. I want you to be happy baby, and I'm not sure that's going to happen with anyone else."

I hadn't seen my mother in years, and still she could see right through me. She was right. Without Zach there was no hope for me to really be happy, but what now? It was already midnight, and I hadn't been able to make my way back to him no matter how hard I tried there was always a relative of friend that needed one of us.

I scanned those that were left. Max and Liza were snuggling in a corner trying to be discrete, Jordan and Chelsea were wrapped in each other on the dance floor next to Zach's mom and Dad. The one person I didn't see was Zach.

I suddenly felt hot, really hot and tired. Iinterrupted Max and Liza, pulling Max away. "Hey gorgeous, you Ok?"

"I'm fine Max, just tired. It's been a long day."He scooped me into his arms. "You two look cozy," I said smiling up at him.

"She's really something Pheebs. I'm trying really hard to be discrete, but do you think you'd kill me if I ended up at the hotel with her?"

I laughed. "I'd expect nothing less from you Mr. Talbot. Have a good time. I’m heading home.”

“Wait, where’s Zach?”

“I don’t know. I’ve been looking for him.”

“Did you two talk?”

“Not enough, but I’m really tired, and I can’t take getting cornered by one more relative, so I’m going home.”

“Maybe he’ll come through that window tonight Pheebs.”

“God I hope so,” I said. I gave him a little kiss on the cheek and watched him walk back to Liza before I turned and walked out of the room. If Zach had any feelings left for me at all I knew he'd show up tonight.

****

Zach’s POV

I walked back in the ballroom after taking some of my older relatives back to my parent’s house. I looked for Phoebe, but couldn’t find her. My eyes fell on a couple that were tucked back in a corner. I laughed to myself realizing it was Liza with Max Talbot. Travis was going to kill me, but at least I knew he wasn’t putting the moves on Phoebe. Even after she told me they were just friends I couldn’t help but worry that he was just here to get in her pants.

I didn’t want to interrupt the two in the corner, but I wasn’t sure what choice I had, I needed to find Phoebe.“Uh, excuse me.”

Liza jumped off Max’s lap. “Zach!... Oh, Max can you excuse me for a second.” Max flashed her a grin. “Zach, I’m sorry this thing here just kind of happened.”

“Liza stop. We’re friends. We came as friends, and we’re going to leave as friends. I’m glad you were here just so I’d have someone to talk to about Phoebe.” My eyes scanned the room again hoping to catch sight of her.

“Thanks Zach.”

“So, you can make it back to the hotel then?” I asked.

“Yeah,” she said and nodded toward Max.”

“Be careful with that one Liza," I said making her blush slightly. "I’ll pick you up at 9 so we can head to the airport.”

“Great,” she said and headed back toward Max.

“Oh Liza, please have Talbot gone by then. If I see you two together like that I’m obligated to tell Travis.”

She blushed and nodded her agreement. I started walking away but felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Max standing there. “Talbot?”

“She went home. Phoebe’s at her house.”

“Thanks Man.” I turned to walk away, but Max spoke again.

“Oh and Parise, don’t hurt her again.”

I nodded to him, said good bye to my brother and his new bride, and left as quickly as I could. I had no intention of ever hurting her again.

****

My dress dropped to the floor, and I didn’t have the energy to pick it up. I was so tired. I put on a tank top, and walked to my jewelry box. I unwound the pearls from my neck and laid them in the bottom drawer. As I was about to close it my eyes fell on something that I couldn’t resist pulling out. It was the red stoned bubble gum machine ring Zach gave me when we were eight. I smiled and slid it on my finger. It barely fit my pinkie now. I couldn’t help remembering Zach at eight, and how happy this ring made me.

I was lost in my memories and nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the window slide open. Truthfully, I knew he’d be here tonight, I just wasn’t expecting him at that moment. He took two steps and grabbed me into his arms. “God Phoebe,” he said, and he kissed my forehead.

The forehead kiss was very sweet, but not nearly enough for me at that moment. I looked up at him and kissed him hard on the lips. I wasn’t giving up another opportunity. I got butterflies as I felt his smile against my lips. Thank God he wanted this as much as I did.

I would have stood there kissing him all night, but we were both exhausted. I was glad he had the sense to get us into bed. He locked my bedroom door, set the alarm clock and stripped down to his boxers before crawling in and wrapping me in his arms.

“Mmmm, this is good,” I purred.

“It’s the way it should be,” he replied.

I was content to just sleep in his arms without another word, but Zach had more to say. “When Sid called me and told me you called off the wedding, it was the happiest day of my life.”

"Why didn't you call me if you were so happy?"

"I guess I kind of hoped you'd call me. I hoped that I had something to do with you calling it off. When you didn't call I buried myself back in hockey."

"I wish I would have called," I replied understanding that it should have my turn to make the move. He had done it all the times before.

"We both should have called," he concluded.

There was silence for a moment, but I had to ask Zach a question that had been plaguing me for a year now. "If I didn't call it off, If I went through with it, would you have stopped me?"

Zach laughed. "If it was the last thing I ever did, I would have stopped that wedding." He kissed my forehead again and pulled me in even closer.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love comments. Please humor me!!!