Plucking the Strings of My Heart

Demi's Warning

“Joe, do you have any idea as to what you’re doing to her?” Demi asked once she found the middle Jonas doing exactly as Rayna warned her he was. Rayna seemed to have painted an accurate description of what was going on; she believed Joe to be obsessed with the prophecy, of which he really was in a way. Not that Demi was allowed to say anything about this, however. She was under orders not to say anything about what Joe was doing. It was closing in on two years since Demi became aware of the middle Jonas’s secret, a secret he would give his life to protect. The young actress feared for her friend’s life; he was alienating the one person who could help him by focusing on the prophecy so much.

“Demi, you know the situation,” Joe argued. “This has to be done before filming for Camp Rock 2 starts. If not, this whole thing would have been all for naught. You know that.”

“I do,” Demi agreed. “However, you know perfectly well that Rayna does not. And, I warn you right now, Joe; this is scaring her. Your obsession with the prophecy is scaring her because she has no clue about what it says, what you’re going through. She needs to, you know. I’ve said this since the second you realized her identity; Rayna wants to understand why all of this is happen. She hates not being in charge of her own destiny.”

“She doesn’t have much of a choice,” Joe muttered as he paged through the packet of papers he was holding in his lap. “Her destiny—and mine—is tied to Miley’s prophecy. I know she doesn’t understand any of this—I’ve known that for a long time, since the day I met her—but she will understand in time. That’s why I needed Lynette back in her life. The point of the next few days—of the three days of concerts here in LA—is so that Rayna will have her sister to rely on when the prophecy comes to fruition. That has to happen; it’s the only way that this is ever going to work. Look, Demi; you just have to trust that I know what I’m doing. I’ve dealt with this for the last four years, since I was fifteen.”

“And what if you alienate her?” Demi asked.

“I doubt that would happen,” Joe said.

Demi doubted that he was ever going to get it. Joe couldn’t see the dilemma he was causing by focusing on the prophecy so much. He obviously loved Rayna, so why couldn’t he see that he was hurting her in such a way. Rayna loved him as well, as evidenced by the fact that he was her celebrity crush, but it was much more difficult to see that love because of what Joe was doing to Rayna. “Hand me the paperwork, Joe,” Demi suggested. “I’ll have it filed. You need to start focusing on Rayna, before you lose her.”

“Wha…why would I lose her?” Joe asked.

“You really don’t see it, do you?” she asked. “Joe, as much as she cares to deny it…well, more like avoid it at the moment, Rayna really does love you. But, the more you focus on the prophecy, trying to make your dream come true, the more she’ll want to disappear. Tell me, Joe; exactly how many times has Rayna threatened to fly out to Italy?”

“A couple, why?” he wondered.

“That’s exactly my point,” Demi exclaimed. “There will eventually come a time in which you won’t be able to convince Rayna to stay. She could leave at any point during the next two months, never mind the fact that you’ve been able to grow closer in the last few months. None of that will matter if you continue to focus on the prophecy. I have to warn you of this, Joe; you’re going to lose her if it continues.” She didn’t want to see that happen, not when she knew what was going to happen. It really did suck knowing the future. A part of Demi wished that Joe would have kept this quiet, not tell her anything. It would have worked out so much better; she would not be caught in the middle of this.

It was immensely difficult for Demi to not say anything to Lynette or Rayna about what was supposed to happen. She wanted to warn them of the danger they faced, especially Rayna. But, she knew it wasn’t possible. Even if she knew the truth, there was no way that Miley or Joe would let her say anything. It was explained to her at the same time in which Joe told her about the prophecy; the girl in whom the prophecy was about could not know the contents of the prophecy, not until it was about to be fulfilled. That fact bothered Demi, though there was nothing that she could ever do about any of what was said.

“It’s worked out so far,” Joe argued.

“And it will eventually come to an end,” Demi reminded him. “If you ever want to tell her the truth, then she must be kept around until October. You know that, Joe. Somewhere in your heart, you know that everything that’s been happening the last few months is wrong. Rayna has done everything you asked; she’s here on tour with you, after all. But, your luck is eventually going to run out, especially if your obsession with the prophecy continues. It has to end, Joe. The fact that I’m filing this paperwork for you means that you need to focus on Rayna.”

“I focused on the prophecy for years though,” Joe objected.

“Doesn’t matter, Joe. I was in the room when Rayna told Lynette of her annoyance with the prophecy. You didn’t see what I did, Joe; you didn’t see how utterly freaked out she’s been about this obsession of yours. You’ve been too blind to see her reactions to all of this. The prophecy has blinded you, and you don’t even see it. You can’t see what it’s doing to you.”

“That can’t be true,” Joe insisted.

“But, it is,” Demi argued. “And you are eventually going to see that.” With the packet of papers under her arm, Demi left Joe to his thoughts. It was time for the young man to think about what he was doing to his life, and to Rayna. Joe needed to know what he was doing.

***

Demi doesn’t know what she’s talking about, Joe decided as he watched his friend walk away with the paperwork he spent the last few weeks going over. Though Miley permitted Joe the opportunity to tell Demi about the prophecy, his Camp Rock costar was never really going to understand the full depth of the situation; she was the closest however, to understanding it; but it was definitely not enough. Demi was not in any position to give him advice, not when she didn’t fully understand what was happening. Only Miley and Joe knew everything.

Miley gave the prophecy in mid-2005, just before Joe’s sixteenth birthday. It had been since then in which Joe was focused on find the girl who fit the prophecy, trying to discern who would make the biggest impact on his life. It took him three and a half years—though, it only could have taken him two; he wasted a lot of time in not contacting Lynette after meeting her in the Bahamas—to find the person who would make his life mean anything: Rayna. The time in which he was left with was not enough time; he was in a major rush to do what had to be done; that’s what Demi didn’t understand, the fact that he didn’t have as much time as he wanted, as much time as he needed. Demi was not informed of one simple fact: the date this was supposed to occur; it was something that neither Miley nor Joe thought she could handle, so it was not discussed with the girl. Demi only knew that it was going to happen. And that was all she needed to know.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.