Mind Over You're the Only Thing That Matters.

manage me, i'm a mess;

Well, this was an interesting turn of events. I had been mulling my way down the dimly lit street; thoughts of heavy work hours mixed in with what I could possibly scavenge from my desolate fridge for tea went straight out the window when I saw what was on my front steps.

Curled up in fetal position, the classic, appeared to be a kid with a bad haircut, half passed out and drooling on the stone steps. I took a quick look down the road, searching for someone who might possibly be looking for an adolescent mess that was occupying the doorway to my house.

Leaning in, I quickly retracted my head as the reek of alcohol stung my eyes, burning my throat, and I realized that this kid was the result of mixed drinks and house parties, and here I am, going to have to clean it up. Gingerly, I nudged the kid in the shoulder with the toe of my shoe, afraid of how he would react to my motion.

The kid slowly rose to a sitting position; his streaked hair sticking up in unmentionable angles from what I imagined was sweat and alcohol. Beautiful. His eyes were dazed, and he was looking around with this amazement plastered on his face, like it was the first time he had every laid eyes on life.

“Uh, hey kid, do you know where you are?” I asked, speaking in soft tones in order not to upset the possible headache he could have throbbing behind his temples. He looked at me with such shock, as if he had only just seen me there. He leaned in to peer at me, before falling down one of the stairs. With his eyes widening, I thought he was about to cry until a loud, obnoxious laugh filled the air of downtown and he could barely contain his hysterical laughter.

When his soundless gasps finally came to a halt, he gave me another scrutinizing look. I looked back with the same amount of enthusiasm, desperate to get him off my stairs and to get me into the bed that was waiting for me.

“Do you know who I am?” He suddenly asked, his voice almost a childish whine as I stepped back, a little startled at what he had said.

“...No? Should I?” I questioned, wondering if I had perhaps missed something important here.

“Oh.” His face creased in disappointment, his lips crinkling together with hard thinking. He resembled that of a three year old, intent on creating a masterpiece with multiple crayons. “I was hoping you did, because I haven’t got a fucking clue.”

Oh. Just fucking brilliant. A drunken teenager with no recollection of who he was? My night could not get any better than it was.

But of course, with thinking that, the skunk-haired kid lurched forward and emptied what I could assume was only alcohol from his stomach, all over the sidewalk by my house. I cringed at the multicolored mess that had been generously deposited everywhere, and I knew that whether or not I liked it, I was gonna have to look after this kid until he was fit to find somewhere else to go.

The kid was still spitting on the concrete, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand as he looked up at me with watery eyes and a confused frown. I exhaled loudly before dropping to eye level with the kid, avoiding the puke.

“Hey listen, you are in no way fit to be hanging around the streets in your condition, so would you like to stay with me until you are sober enough to find a way to... where ever it is you need to go?”

The man nodded his head furiously, before clutching the back of his neck with a hiss of pain. I laughed at his poor attempt for an agreement, and grabbed his arm to help him to his feet. After a couple moments, he was able to steady himself enough to walk inside my small apartment without knocking anything over.

I settled him on the couch and he looked around, taking in everything before looking back at me with wondering eyes. I opened up the hallway cupboard and pulled out a spare pillow and blanket, handing them to the kid as he pulled of his shoes.

“Can I get you anything before I head off to my room?” I asked, unsure of how to do this, I had never been in a situation quite like this before.

The kid shook his head, having already found the pillow and his face slowly relaxing into a content smile. I began to walk off to my room when I heard a very small voice follow me out.

“Thank you, kind stranger.” I smiled; maybe the kid wasn’t too bad after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, it's a start.
Thoughts?