‹ Prequel: My First Story

"Retribution"

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

- Failed Mission -

The three men were sitting quietly at the table again as Lukas and Menny stood at the corners of the dais to keep watch over the crowded room. There were still murmurs of discontent spilling from the crowd on occasion, but talk had resumed without further disruption.

“Are you sure he’s not on Vjun?” Steffen asked again.

“I can’t be certain of it, but I am very aware of what this criminal did. Some of my men were killed in the explosion along with the company’s crew. I understand this man’s motives, but I condemn his methods. Killing is never an answer. I can assure you that I would never give this man sanctuary,” Kobal answered.

“I believe you,” Ben replied sensing the man’s honesty. “Do you think any of your employees are protecting him? Do you have any idea where he could be?”

“None whatsoever, and I can assure you, no one under my employ would dare give him sanctuary. Many that died on that vessel were close friends. My men are also very aware that I’d fire them instantly if they attempted such a thing. I’m sorry. I just don’t know what I can do to help you. I wish I could.”

“I wish we could be more help to you as well,” Steffen responded. “Perhaps if I mentioned the dangerous conditions the divers are forced work under to our constituents, it might be considered problematic to the senate and tensions with management could be eased somewhat.”

“I wouldn’t count on that. Profit is all that matters to “S.M.C.” They want all the divers to resume work and won’t be satisfied until their unrealistic quota is met. That’s why they hired all those scabs. Production must not come to a halt. No my friend. Tensions will not cease until these off-worlders are terminated and gone from Vjun.”

“I can still make an attempt to quell the incidents that keep arising,” Steffen said, knowing what Kobal said was true.

“I’m sure “S.M.C.” will greatly appreciate your efforts to solve their problems Senator Antilles.”

“It’s your problems that I’m concerned about sir.”

“Of course,” Kobal said with a scowl. He didn’t believe anything that Steffen said. Things being as they were, he had little regard for any representative of the Galactic Senate. He rose from the table. “You’ll have to excuse me now gentlemen. I’ve to get back to work. I see some familiar faces that are supposed to be on duty as we speak. It would never do to let production lag. The company wouldn’t be pleased.”

“Of course sir. We understand.” Ben and Steffen rose and shook hands with the supervisor. They bid him farewell and watched as the crowd slowed filed out of the hall behind him.

“Well, that went well,” Steffen said with a smirk.

“Extremely,” Ben replied sharing his sarcasm.

The four all got down from the stage and followed the mob out to the street. The robed figures huddled closely as rain pounded down on them and discussed what they could do.

“Should we stay and continue searching for the suspect?” Steffen asked.

“No use in that. Even with the boys help it would take weeks to probe everyone’s minds to see if anyone is hiding him. No matter what Kobal says, I still think the suspect is here on Vjun.”

“So what do we do about it?”

“We’ll have to go back to Coruscant so you can report your findings to the senate. The military will have to be involved now, I’m afraid. We’ve done all we can,” Ben replied.

“The senate won’t be very happy about this. It’s an unwanted expense they won’t want to cover.”

“I’m sure credits will be allotted from “S.M.C.” privately.”

“I’m sure they will be. I wish there was something I could do for these men. Personally, I agree with the workers. They are being treated unfairly,” Steffen admitted.

“Are you going to include that in your official report?”

“You know very well what the senate is like. Without definite proof that “S.M.C.” is directly responsible for these incidents by hiring off-worlders, they’ll never do a thing about it. They won‘t care that “S.M.C.” is treating their employees with indifference. They only care about keeping the company happy.”

But you’re still going to state these facts in your report, aren’t you?”

Of course. For all the good it’ll do,” Steffen sighed. “All politicians aren’t so uncaring you know. There are those willing to listen. They’ll be very interested in what’s transpiring here. I can assure you this matter will not be ignored.”

“I wish I had your faith in our fellow man Steffen.”

“You’d be surprised how little faith I do have in them Ben.”