We'll Fly Home, You And I

Chapter 18

After lying on the couch for a good ten minutes with Mikey doing his best to comfort me, I decided to head back to my bunk. I heard him heave a long sigh after I shut the door. Frank sat on Ray's bunk above mine, his head hung low.

"Frank?" I said. He looked up and came over to hug me.

"You know he would never do something like that to you, right Hannah?" My eyes narrowed.

"You were eaves dropping on us? You told him?" Anger soaked my words.

"No, nonono. I didn't tell him. It's just. . . I'm worried about you. If there's anyth-"

"I don't need your help." He looked hurt, but I didn't care. I bent down and got into my bunk, turned on my iPod and tried to drown out the world around me.

::Mikey's POV::
I quietly shut the door behind me and went back into the lounge area. What was I going to tell Gerard? How would I explain it to him? Frank was sitting on the floor, Ray was watching a movie, and Gerard was asleep. Wait, Gerard was asleep. Good. No questions right now. I decided to strike up a conversation with Ray to try to get my mind off of what had happened.

"He-"

"Frank told me."

"Told you what?"

"About Hannah's dream." He had heard her?

"Frank, what the hell!? We close doors for reasons you know!" His face became flush and he hid it in the carpet. "How long has Gerard been asleep?" I asked.

"I don't know. Five minutes maybe?" I looked over to him. His face was pale, his hair even lighter.

"What are you going to do?" Frank asked quietly.

"Just because I went to a psychiatrist doesn't mean I know how to fucking be one. But I guess I can try."

"Do you think we should tell him?" Ray asked.

"He'll want to know. I don't know if it's such a good idea but I doubt we have any choice. He'll get it out of one of us. Most likely Sir Frank Big-mouth-alot."

"I'm sorry alright. I can't keep stuff like that inside me. I'm afraid of what it might do to me." Gerard's shuffling silenced us. His arm moved from above his head down to his stomach. Slowly, his eyes opened.

"Hey guys. Oh, Mikey, what did Hannah say?" I though he was going to be asleep for the rest of the night. I bit my bottom lip and looked to Frank and Ray for help. Ray had gone back to watching his movie and Frank looked as if he was about to explode. I sighed.

"Go ahead Sir Frank."

"Hannahhadadreamthatyourapedher."

"WHAT?!" He shot up from the couch he had been sleeping on. "I would never do that! She knows that doesn't she??"

"Ya, but it's complicated. Apparently, she's had it multiple times and every time she has it, it feels like she's living it and it's 'ten times worse than the real thing'," I told him. He sank back down onto his seat.

"But we haven't even been on the bus that long. How much has she been sleeping?"

"A lot, I guess," Frank said. Gerard's face fell, his eyes on the floor.

"W-what do I do?" he asked.

"She's your daughter. We can't tell you how to raise her." He slumped down even more, looking completely defeated.

"Should I talk to her?"

"Uh, ya." Frank said in a 'no-duh' tone. I watched as Gerard used the near by table to stand and went back into the narrow hall. He lowered himself next to Hannah's bunk and pulled back the curtain. Her eyes were closed.

"Hannah?" he whispered. He reached forward and touched her arm. Her eyes shot open and she screamed.

"NO! NO! GET AWAY!!!" Gerard was frightened and grabbed a hold of her shoulders and held her against the bed.

"Hannah! Listen to me! You are awake! I'm not going to hurt you! Nobody's going to hurt you!" She continued screaming and lashing out against him. "PLEASE! It's just a dream! I'm here to protect you!!"

"QUIT LYING TO ME!!!" she cried.

"Hannah, I love you!" Oh, shit. Her screams reached a deafening level. She pushed Gerard back into the bunk on the opposite side of her and ran up to me and tried to get behind me in my seat.

"Hannah," I whispered to her, wiping away the hair that had stuck to her face. "Hannah, he doesn't want to-"

"No! That's what he always says!!" She pulled herself into a ball and sobbed into her knees. Frank got up and went over to Gerard.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm a failure as a father. This was all a mistake."

"No. No it's not Gerard. You care about her more than any of us. You want to make her happy. It's just that she's been through a lot that we don't understand." Gerard's eyes looked over to Hannah's bed. "You want to change her life. You want to make a difference for her. That's why you adopted her. And that's why you're not going to give up on her. She needs you Gerard. She just doesn't know it." I looked back at Hannah to see that she was rocking herself back and forth. I pulled her into my lap and began to rock with her.

"It's okay. It's all going to be alright. Go back to sleep. I promise he won't get you. He won't do that to you ever again." I was trying to remember what the doctors had done for me to help with my nightmares and applied it to her.

"Just go back to sleep and everything will be okay." Slowly, she started to stop moving with me and her hands fell to her sides. Ray looked over to me, as if he was asking if there was anything he could do. I nodded and handed the now sleeping Hannah to him. "Go put her in Frank's bed." He gave me a questioning look, but I just waved him off as Gerard and Frank walked back in.

"She'll be fine," I told them, rubbing my temples with my index fingers.

"How do you know?"

"I don't. But I have faith in her. Just don't go near her while she's sleeping Gerard. There's some kind of subconscious brain thing that can sense the people around you while you sleep. We can trade bunks so you can sleep in the front half and she can sleep in the back."

"Is that why you-" Ray asked coming back, but I cut him off.

"Yes. Now I'm going to bed. We have a show in two days. This is too much stress for all of us."