We'll Fly Home, You And I

Chapter 2

"I was raised by a guy who sold alcohol to underage drinkers and was a pimp on the side. His name was Mason. He told me that he found me in a cardboard box in an alley coming home from a late night party. I was no more than a month old at the time. He took me in and raised me up to be his slave. I would clean his apartment, cook him food, and when he came home at nights he would rape me or hit me. He told me that if I ever tried to run away or call the cops, he would cut me up and let me bleed to death.

"As soon as I hit puberty, he made me work the streets. Any money I made, he got it all. And in return, the only thing I received was a roof over my head and a small meal each day. Once, he came home high and he told me to go get him a cardboard box. I said that I didn't understand. He told me that he was going to kill me and since he found me in a cardboard box, I should die in one. He pulled out a razor from a drawer and sliced up my wrists and told me that I do what he says and I give him what he wants. Then he raped me in the ass. I've never felt so much pain in my entire life. The same night, he overdosed on cocaine and killed himself. I left that morning, taking all the money he had and moving to the streets.

"I was alright for two weeks, but then I started to run low on money. Prostitution was my only option. It was good money fast. And I had done it before so I thought nothing of it. But when my clients never paid me, I began to lose hope. I thought I was going to die. So I started to steal things. Money, food, clothes. One time, while I was stealing a man's wallet, the police saw me and started to chase me down. I managed to lose them in the park and decided stealing wasn't such a good idea anymore. So I returned to selling myself. As soon as I'm old enough I'm going to go work in a strip bar or club or something. That way I'll actually have a job and have good pay. I've never had a real family. Who ever my parents are, I hate them for doing this to me instead of finding me a couple to live with. But I have a feeling I'll be able to make it."

Tear stains cleared a path down my face where a coat of dirt and make up had been. I found not only Mr. Sober, Charlie, and the other man listening to my story, but Frank and two other men as well.

"You must be really strong to be able to go through all of that and still find the will to live," said Mr. Sober.

"Where do you live?" asked a man with blonde hair.

"When I'm not 'working', I sleep in the trees in the park. Otherwise I'm just walking around the city, window shopping in stores. I went into a hotel once and got some left over food someone left outside their room. Best idea I've ever had." They smiled at me.

"How do you think you're able to keep going?" Wow. That's a really good question. I've never really thought about it actually.

"I guess I have hope that one day I'll have a real life and I'll be able to make it in the world. And if I do, I want to tell everyone my story so that people who are going through the same thing I am can have confidence that it'll all be okay in the end." They all stared silently in awe. Well, I'm guessing it was awe, because their mouths were hanging open slightly.

"What's your name?" Frank asked.

"I'm Hannah." I saw him whisper it to himself before smiling. I smiled back.

"I'm Gerard. This is Ray next to me, Frank, Bob, and my little brother Mikey." Mikey gave me a short wave, at which I saluted back. "Do you like music?" Gerard asked.

"Um, sure. I hear it in bars and on the radio." I wasn't really into the music scene, but I knew it was there. I was too preoccupied with getting my next meal I didn't have time for it.

"Well, we're a band. It's called My Chemical Romance. Kind of a Misfits meets Morrissey." I nodded my head, although I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. "We have a show tomorrow here. Do you want to come?" Well I didn't have anything better to do.

"Sure." He grinned.

"Alright. It's at 7:00 at the Metro. Get there around 4:30 and walk around to the back. There will be a big guy blocking the door to the backstage. His name is Worm. He's awesome. We'll tell him to take you back to our dressing room and you can hang with us before the show. Then we'll send you out into the pit for the show, then come back afterwards to hang."

"But how will he know it's Hannah?" Mikey asked. Gerard thought for a moment before turning to Charlie.

"Do you have a piece of paper and a pen I can borrow?" He nodded and got some from underneath the bar. Gerard began to write on it and then handed it to me.

"Give this to Worm to let him know. You have to come. We'll be waiting on you so don't be late!" He got up from his seat and headed towards the door. "Bye Hannah!" they called.

"Bye!" I said, still a little dazed. I was going to a concert. A real social event. I glanced down at the paper and read it.

I never want to let you down or have you go, it's better off this way. XOXO, Gee.

_______________________________________________________________________