We'll Fly Home, You And I

Chapter 25

::Hannah's POV::

"Let me talk to him," I said. Quinn came back from the kitchen, drink in hand, and sat down next to me. It probably wasn't such a good idea to have him so close to me right now, but I didn't want him to be skeptical of anything. After a moment of what sounded like arguing, Dad answered the phone.

"What," he said harshly. My heart sank. Was he really that mad at me? I looked over at Quinn. I couldn't have this conversation next to him, so I got up and headed down a hallway and into a room.

"I regret what I did. I regret everything that I said to you."

"Don't lie to me Hannah."

"I'm not lying! Dad, I'm sorry, alright? I'm not used to any of this and you know that. Getting up and leaving with someone else when another is mad at you is something that just comes naturally to me."

"You left. That proves that I'm terrible at being a fath-"

"It proves that I'm a complete idiot! You're a wonderful Dad, and don't ever tell yourself otherwise. This is all my fault."

"And Bert's." I scowled.

"Bert has nothing to do with this," I defended.

"He picked you up. I'm assuming you're in his apartment eating his food and visiting with his friends." He knew he was right. My words did not need to reassure him.

"Dad, please, I didn't mean for this to happen. It's all just one big fuck up." I'm just one big fuck up. Salty tears stung at the ridges of my eyes.

"You like him more than me," he whispered.

"I DO NOT!!!" Streams poured from my eyes as my shuttered breaths bypassed my lips. "How could you even think that?! You've done so much for me. And I barely even know him!"

"Then why are you living with him?! Tell me that Hannah!!"

"I'M NOT LIVING WITH HIM!!!" I ended the call and threw the phone at the door. The top half of my body fell to the floor and crushed itself against my legs on the carpet. I don't know why he adopted me in the first place if I was going to be treated like this. Staying with Bert, Jeph, and Quinn was a good idea. And maybe I was lying to him. Perhaps I do like Bert more than him. But how can he still not even care about me!! Or maybe he cares too much? I don't know. I'm too confused to do anything right now.

Whispers were exchanged outside of the door. I quieted my sobbing and they silenced as well. The door creaked open and three worried looking faces stared back at me.

"Are you alright?" Quinn asked. I didn't feel like pretending anymore. I shook my head 'no'. They came over and helped me onto my feet and onto the edge of a bed. I must have walked into someone's room.

"What happened?" Bert asked. My eyes lifted up to his.

"They don't want me anymore. Gerard doesn't want me," I mumbled. No one can ever love me.

Bert's arms wrapped around me and pulled me closer to his chest. "Who cares what he thinks. His opinion doesn't matter." His is the only one that counts.

"We can take you back home if you want," Quinn offered. I could feel Bert's head snap over to him.

"I have no home. I have no parents. Never had, never will." I knew they could tell that I was diving into a subject I would rather not talk about, so they kept quiet. Bert's fingers ran through my highlighted hair. Memories of the fun time I had had with Daddy when we both went to get a haircut flashed before my eyes, thus bringing more memories that could now be categorized as painful to recall.

"You can sleep in my bed tonight. I'll sleep on the couch," Quinn offered. A shiver ran up and down my spine. I wasn't going to ever sleep in another man's bed.

"No, I'm sleeping on the couch." They didn't argue. Bert helped me to my feet and carried my dead body over to my resting place. Why did my life have to turn out like this? I've done absolutely nothing wrong. I would much rather have to deal with being picked on at school or having to deal with and oversized crush on a boy I could never have. But I had to get the life that was impossible to live.

"Hannah," Bert whispered. My eyes lazily glanced over at his face. He placed a pillow under my head. "We're here for you. I'm the last door on the left in the hall if you need me." He brushed some hair out of my face and smiled down at me. "Goodnight."

His head lowered down closer to mine and Bert kissed me lightly on the lips.